The VN Great Escape

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
ToyHicko
cars: Toyota Celica/VN Bash Car

The VN Great Escape

Post by ToyHicko »

Ok as most already know I have purchased a Cheap VN to enter in a Charity Rally "The Great Escape". The plan is to have the car ready for next years rally (2011). The car had a engine with a death rattle when purchased turned out to be a broken con rod sad to throw the engine with only 97000km. Replace the with a second hand engine from a wrecker which turned out to have a blown head gasket :evil:, this issue is still being resolved.

Anyway here are some pic of the car
Attachments
Pics3.jpg
Pics3.jpg (79.52 KiB) Viewed 5435 times
Pics2.jpg
Pics2.jpg (172.32 KiB) Viewed 5436 times
Pics1.jpg
Pics1.jpg (62.88 KiB) Viewed 5431 times
Holden202T

Re: The VN Great Escape

Post by Holden202T »

looks pretty reasonable! and its got rally spec suspenion too i see :D
ToyHicko

Post by ToyHicko »

Yeah the strange thing is the back is jacked up but the front is still standard height :wtf: . not sure who would do that. But the sway bars are all new front and back plus new bushes underneath. makes life a little easier for me.

Ok plans of attack for the car.
1. Get a working reliable engine :hmm:
2. Bash plates looking at sump and fuel tank. Possibly gear box and diff too.
3. Look at bomb proofing the electrics/car for creek crossings
4. Get Aircon and sound system most import for a long trip
5. CB Radio, Flashing lights and Roof racks.
6. Bull bar
7. Paint car
8. Sponsors
9. Race! :driving:

Still thinking about LSD not sure where I can get one cheap and if it would be worth the hassle
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

charity rally car = welded diff ?? :D

once you get a good working engine get the hose onto the front of it and dowse the harmonic balancer .... the old crank angle sensor in my experience don't like the water too much and when it got wet once for me trying to cross a bridge that was semi flooded it started missing pretty bad!
ToyHicko

Post by ToyHicko »

I don't think welding the diff would be a good idea. Has to be road registered and I plan to drive to and from the event. I have access to a few VQ diffs but i believe modification is required to use their centers in a VN diff. I'll ring around maybe a wrecker has a Ute diff going cheap I think they are LSD.

The crank sensor is my biggest fear and as the Harmonic balancer is a b*tch get get off, discover after trying to remove from the blown engine. I don't really want to be trying that on the side of the road! Maybe a tube a silcone on all the wiring connection would be a good idea :think:.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i don't know if its the wiring connection or the water getting in between the CAS fingers thats the problem ... the wiring if in good order should seal

as far as diffs, most of the BW diffs all have the same stuff in em, but i know irs is different.
Dec_head
cars: VR Calais

Post by Dec_head »

heres some useful info on the diffs
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=155191
ToyHicko

Post by ToyHicko »

Ok quick update

The Engine still currently running the same engine, still using water and over heating. Was told they have another engine for me had a look at it on Saturday took the oil filler cap off and it was milky so told them to keep looking! One good think did come out of the visit I now have a factory sump bash plate. :D this will make life little easier for a good price free for stuffing me around.

Next removed the towbar support from the boot to discover a nice rust hole :( Luck it's not a big deal. as the towbar support covers it It'll be a quick cut weld paint and forget. All the other surface rust has been treated the Body kit has been removed ready to start the prep for painting. I'm looking forward to the hours of sanding ahead.

As for the LSD I'm still on the hunt so if any of you guy have one I'm happy to take it off your hands even if I have to rebuild it. None of the wreckers around here have one. Yes I've even ask for about ford ea,eb diff too.

Anyone know some with a some VN raised front spring to match my rear end? It's good to work on as you don't need a jack.
ToyHicko

Post by ToyHicko »

Other update:

Sanding and more sanding, removed all excess moulding from the sides. Almost ready to prime/spay putty to level the hump and bumps out. As my boss comment when he first saw the car, "Which hippy camp did you drag that out of" hippy wasn't his word but is much more polite. Hope to have a reasonable looking car people will be willing to sponsor. If you guys want I'll through a Delcohacking.net sticker on for free for all the help.

Stereo has been ripped out ready for a New shiny Aldi special to go in :hmm: can't be any worst then the one I pulled out. Picking up a VN LSD diff I've scored off egay (as it seems to be refer to on this forum) Plan to give it an overhaul before fitting.

Engine Front:
Still waiting :evil: they chucked out the engine I told you about last time. They tell me they have one in the yard just have to test it.

So things are pretty much on track.

I'll post some picture up shortly of the progress.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

lol they want to thoroughly test it for you otherwise you'll bring it back telling them its fucked :P