Ants SR20DET '75 Gemini track car

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Ants SR20DET '75 Gemini track car

Post by HQ355 »

Just get a normal single spinner diff to cut up, if it works put a tru-trak in it ? If you can weld it's not that hard to do
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

send me a Gemini diff housing and I'll make you one :) .... what would you do though with a commodore diff, use a mac donalds bros control arm kit in place of the torque tube ?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Cheers for the offer, I might take you up on that in the future.

I dropped the axles off this morning to Rod Tech and they had a batch just ready to go so turn around should be quick. They said that I should have used 25 spline axles because they're thinner and therefore have more flex which make them less likely to snap. Interesting point for next time but for now I just stuck with the VN axles.

As for commodore diff mounting thats a good question and one i'll need to weigh up. Looking at the pics of that kit, its quite a massive bar in front of the diff, which I reckon would foul the exhaust. Not the biggest problem but add it too the list. Along with re-routing the fuel and brake lines down the edge of the car. Planning to add a hoop in the next couple of weeks to make that a bit safer.
Attachments
g2.jpg
g2.jpg (79.87 KiB) Viewed 5452 times
20151024_151718_resized.jpg
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah no matter what you do its not a small job!

the 25 spliners you'll find in VL's for next time :)
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

I managed to get the sr20 gem out for a track day last Friday at Mallala. The new pan hard rod, track rubber and exhaust rubbers worked out well and it handled better than ever before while making fewer noises it shouldnt. :shh: . But a new problem has developed as it seems the 41 year old carbie pick up pump can no longer flow enough fuel to keep up with WAT down the banana straight. You can hear mis-firing on that part of the track and especially down the back straight in this vid. It looks like a new fuel tank and pump might be the next step. Overall a good day, its been a while since Ive had this one out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbebg5RwE_M
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah man you sure look like your enjoying yourself, and smashing almost everything out there :)

i assume you have a efi pump drawing from a surge tank and then the carby pump feeding that from the main tank ?

leaves a few questions, is the issue that the carby pump is getting air from hard cornering, or is it that its using to much fuel that the pump can't keep up with it?
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Yeah its stock tx gem in tank pump feeding a surge tank, and efi pump after that. Lack of fuel is fuel missing the pump and worse flow than it used to have as this has not happened before. I put more fuel in for the last session and it was better but not perfect. But the stock fuel cap is bad too and over half a tank and i can loose some fuel on the corners so cant run a more than about half a tank. Theres also fuel really slowly seeping around the pump access panel (also new) so overall i can fix all those problems at once and the time for a fuel cell is here.
TdracerTd
cars: Td Gemini coupe (race car WIP)
Holden VE SS ute (tow car/daily)
Vp commodore V6 (race car, s/c, e85, intercooled)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (mrs car, family bus)
My12 subaru STi (Weekend warrior/Toy)
1972 LJ torana GTR (my Dad's car)
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Post by TdracerTd »

I always thought the Gem tank wasn't too bad for surge, especially if you have a swirl pot. Just the way they are positioned and upright. You are right though, a fuel cell and proper lift pump will solve all of your issues. I have a carter for my commodore and it's awesome. It has great suction and can move an unbelievable volume of fuel.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Yeah it used to be ok, I think the pump began to fail on the day. Its certainly not the first stock pump ive seen fail, and 41 years of life is pretty good considering the ODO on a stock dash only goes up to 99,999kms... which gives you an idea of the life span they were originally thinking :lol:
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

didnt go in the dirt thats a bonus LOL
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem