P04 PCM's

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: P04 PCM's

Post by antus »

Well ok, sure, I started with basic on an Amstrad CPC6128, then next up I tried C on an 8086 XT when I was about 13. Part of the Borland C package included turbo debugger, and my life changed when I accidentally opened an exe file instead of the app I had compiled with source and it worked and I realised that it was possible to see what a 3rd party program was doing and inspect and modify its function without the source code. Its always been a game and good fun. Some people do crosswords, I love figuring out reverse engineering challenges and learning the whole time. It's good brain food, and you're always thinking about what you could do with the tools you have, even if your not using them in the intended way and often you find out about new tools as they come out and have to keep learning. I still have the original copy of turbo debugger on 5 1/4 inch floppy which I used to keep it on my desk at work as a talking point. Now we work from home Its right next to me. This was before the internet, and before I had a dial up modem and sure as anything nobody I knew personally knew anything about this stuff, so it was all self driven and self learnt from just a couple of books and mags and experimentation. I never stopped learning and still spend too much time going deep in to anything that looks interesting :thumbup:
Attachments
20230409_114945.jpg
20230409_114945.jpg (318.04 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Thems the days ... I remember when Borland was first released, it was the rage, then 3.0 came along and it was like a gift from god!
Then along comes the 4.x version and all good things went to hell IMO, so I stuck with 3.1, still have it today and it is just a click away ...
BorlandC.jpg
BorlandC.jpg (89.19 KiB) Viewed 1867 times
But I was a just a huge bit over 13 at that same time!

I could go on all night about the old shit I have, I'm a hoarder ...

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Dang,

you guys are making me feel OLD (not quite 60 yet) as I came to the PC world in 1988 when a friend showed me his '286 clone.
In 1992 another friend gave me his old 286 as he was upgrading to a '386.
THAT started me on an endless journey buying newer, faster motherboards from time to time!
'286, '386, '486, AM5x86-133, K6-2 333, and on and on........
Finally came back to Intel with a Core2, Core i5-2400 and now a Core i5-4670.

Mike
DethRattles
cars: 2004 Grand am gt

Post by DethRattles »

Im 46 and the first computer i had was a pentium 100,,,our schools still had floppy and hard disk. I didnt own a computer until i was 20. Never had a beta max tho :) I wished i'd of had a pc a lot earlier , friend of mine had one i played doom on. oregon trail was played at school. The only programming i learned was on a commodore 64 and wasnt peaking my interest. i want to go back. Everyone is leaving me in the dust with whole life experience on this programming mumbo. Feel retarded.
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

I kinda started with BASIC on a Commodore PET and then C64, but didn't do anything memorable with it. The big step forward was in college when I wrote some BASIC to do some math for subwoofers and subwoofer enclosures, because my friends and I were putting loud stereos in our cars at the time and I was geeking out about it. That was when I realized I could do interesting things with software. I switched my major to computer science at that point. :)

Classes do help, but I feel like 90% of what I know about software came from having a problem that I wanted to solve, and trying/failing/reading/retrying until I made progress. The stuff I learned in school comes in handy once in a while but I don't think it's essential. But on the other hand, if you're starting from scratch, and not sure where to start, a class might be a good way to get that start.

Coincidentally, this was just posted on Hackaday:

https://hackaday.com/2023/04/08/revisit ... o-c-and-c/
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Wow, good times. Thanks for the link NSFW. TASM, still have some assembly tools based on that laying around. :thumbup:
Cincinnatus
cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Well, this explains why I never learned C or C++. I was out of college by the time these became popular. I'm 54 and learned Basic on radio shack trs80, commodore 64, atari 2600, and apple iie. Also learned Cobol and Fortran. Mechanical engineering in college, but didn't get back into computers until windows 98 came out. I'm good at making hardware work, but never learned much software. I've programmed some plc's, and understand how it all functions, but I'm not likely to spend the time to get where you guys are with all this. I'm impressed with software development, and I remember all the time I spent as a teenager writing code, but I think I'll leave it to those of you who have a firm grasp of how to write and manipulate code to get results.
DethRattles

Post by DethRattles »

I wished that someone would figure out what i'm capable of at the current moment and send me on a task to help. I could be hitting up junkyards etc for people. I'm just not sure if i have that drive when i dive into a hobby with such passion that i want to learn anything about it. The rc passion i had is gone leaving batteries /motors planes and heli's in boxes. My firework obsession is gone leaving all the chems in boxes. I have no hobbies now other than bothering you guys on this forum and working on my car.

If i could've learned coding then it would be an amazing time. I want to be the one programming rather than reading the technical things that i know zero about. I then get frustrated and try to look anything up and get more frustrated. I think age and or mindset has a lot to do with all of this...my brain is no longer like a sponge and a lot of things happen to kill the spirit. hint hint the p04 :?
ejs262
cars: 2006 2500 HD. 6.0 4L80

1986 Suburban LB7 duramax swap in progress

1988 Suburban L21 454 swap in progress

2003 Grand Am, 3400, F23 swap, stock P04 PCM

1985 Pontiac Fiero SE LX9 F23 Swap, MS3 Pro

Post by ejs262 »

I just wanted to mention a couple notes here:

it was mentioned the P04 was used with 3100, 3400, and 3800 engines, all of these engines use an ignition module which outputs a 3x signal to the PCM, the ignition module in this case, is pretty much a solid state distributor. because of this, the 3100/3400 bin files can run a 3800 and a 3800 bin can run a 3100/3400, I personally did this at one point when my Fiero was running a P04 and a turbo 3400.

in addition to the 3100, 3400, and 3800, the P04 was also used with the 3.5 LX5 "Shortstar" V6, a 90 degree DOHC V6 used in Oldsmobile Intrigues, and (IIRC) Aurora's, this particular application is the only one I am aware of that directly inputs the crank position to the PCM. it uses a 24x LS1 style wheel, and a crank position sensor that has 2 outputs, one reading the "high" side of the wheel, one reading the "low" side of the wheel. this is also the only application I am aware of that directly fires the ignition coils from the PCM, on the engine, the coils are two units, one for each bank, but inside each unit are 3 independent coils, one per cylinder.

The LX9 3500 uses a different style PCM than both the 3400, and the VVT (LZ4)3500, it uses a 24x reluctor just like an LS1, and the crank sensor is input directly to the PCM, not to an ignition module like the 3400. the case of the PCM for an LX9 is completely different from the 3400, and uses face mounted connectors instead of end mounted connectors like the 3400. they are clearly physically different, I cannot speak to programming, but I suspect they car very different do to the total lack of tuning support for the LX9.

I made a thread on the P04 several years ago on gearhead EFI, with a bunch of wiring configuration details, and notes that I had found, I'm more of a hardware guy than a software guy though, so I'm not very helpful for the programming side of the house.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inject ... CM-pinouts
I posted this info in my intro thread, but I figured it would be more useful here...

I've made a pinout sheet for GM obd2 V6 PCMs, I'm working on editing out the typos here and there, so please bare with me. So far, I've used this pinout, along with a L36 5 speed Fbody bin to make my 5 speed 3500 swap work correctly(hopefully...)

the PCM's these pinouts are derived from support a variety of systems and accessories, including:

FWD and RWD automatic Transaxles/Transmissions
Manual Transmissions (3.8 F body)
DIS (3100, 3400 and, 3800 equipped vehicles)
Coil per cylinder (3.5 Shortstar)
DBW throttle (3.8 F body)
forced induction (3800 supercharged vehicles)
Dual bank fuel control (3.8 F body)
dual bank knock sensors (3.8/3800 cars)
DethRattles

Post by DethRattles »

ejs262 wrote:I just wanted to mention a couple notes here:

it was mentioned the P04 was used with 3100, 3400, and 3800 engines, all of these engines use an ignition module which outputs a 3x signal to the PCM, the ignition module in this case, is pretty much a solid state distributor. because of this, the 3100/3400 bin files can run a 3800 and a 3800 bin can run a 3100/3400, I personally did this at one point when my Fiero was running a P04 and a turbo 3400.

in addition to the 3100, 3400, and 3800, the P04 was also used with the 3.5 LX5 "Shortstar" V6, a 90 degree DOHC V6 used in Oldsmobile Intrigues, and (IIRC) Aurora's, this particular application is the only one I am aware of that directly inputs the crank position to the PCM. it uses a 24x LS1 style wheel, and a crank position sensor that has 2 outputs, one reading the "high" side of the wheel, one reading the "low" side of the wheel. this is also the only application I am aware of that directly fires the ignition coils from the PCM, on the engine, the coils are two units, one for each bank, but inside each unit are 3 independent coils, one per cylinder.

The LX9 3500 uses a different style PCM than both the 3400, and the VVT (LZ4)3500, it uses a 24x reluctor just like an LS1, and the crank sensor is input directly to the PCM, not to an ignition module like the 3400. the case of the PCM for an LX9 is completely different from the 3400, and uses face mounted connectors instead of end mounted connectors like the 3400. they are clearly physically different, I cannot speak to programming, but I suspect they car very different do to the total lack of tuning support for the LX9.

I made a thread on the P04 several years ago on gearhead EFI, with a bunch of wiring configuration details, and notes that I had found, I'm more of a hardware guy than a software guy though, so I'm not very helpful for the programming side of the house.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inject ... CM-pinouts
I posted this info in my intro thread, but I figured it would be more useful here...

I've made a pinout sheet for GM obd2 V6 PCMs, I'm working on editing out the typos here and there, so please bare with me. So far, I've used this pinout, along with a L36 5 speed Fbody bin to make my 5 speed 3500 swap work correctly(hopefully...)

the PCM's these pinouts are derived from support a variety of systems and accessories, including:

FWD and RWD automatic Transaxles/Transmissions
Manual Transmissions (3.8 F body)
DIS (3100, 3400 and, 3800 equipped vehicles)
Coil per cylinder (3.5 Shortstar)
DBW throttle (3.8 F body)
forced induction (3800 supercharged vehicles)
Dual bank fuel control (3.8 F body)
dual bank knock sensors (3.8/3800 cars)
I just read it earlier today, you listed all the pins. Was hoping to see some 04 grand am gt bins . Ive been looking for a tuned one to compare