Alfa Romeo EFI conversion

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
BradGTV
cars: 79' + 83' + 85' alfa romeo gtv's

Re: Alfa Romeo EFI conversion

Post by BradGTV »

thanks for the link, i had a wiring diagram, but those are a fair bit easier to understand, cheers :thumbup:
made some progress tonight, machined my alfa crank pulley and lada trigger wheels, made the trigger wheel a tight fit onto the crank pully, now just got to drill and tap a pcd and secure the two together with m5 socket head bolts.
BradGTV

Post by BradGTV »

wanting to double check the position of the sensor as im still not 100% sure,
some say the crank sensor needs to be on the 10* before TDC slot when cyl #1 is on TDC, others have said the sensor needs to pointing to the 60* before TDC slot when cyl #1 is a TDC, can anyone confirm before i go ahead and bolt the trigger wheel onto the pulley?

cheers, brad :thumbup:
Attachments
correct position for sensor when engine is at TDC ???
correct position for sensor when engine is at TDC ???
20092011_001.jpg (34.08 KiB) Viewed 5435 times
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

assuming your engine spins clockwise, that picture you posted is exactly where the sensor should sit when the engine is at top dead center. tho it will result in 0deg cranking advance. we set ours up on the datto 1400 at 10 deg advanced on the crank trigger (so that picture is how ours would look when the crank is at 10 deg before top dead center) then used a 65 deg ref angle.
BradGTV

Post by BradGTV »

thanks mate,
if i set it a 0, when i have the computer hooked up, i will be able to adjust the timming anyway, wont i ?

what crank sensor are u using on the datto?
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

yeah you will, it only uses the 0 deg during cranking. just means that until the engine has started, its firing 0 deg, after that the ecu takes over. but your reg angle will be 10 deg different to mine. we got the ref angle right by putting ecu into diag mode which forces the ecu to command 10 deg advance, then adjust ref angle in realtime till timing light read 10 deg on the balancer.
id imagine yours will be either 75 or 55 ref angle, I cant be bothered sitting down and figuring out which way itll go lol.

our sensor looks very similar to the one in your picture, its off a VT commodore abs wheel sensor.

one tip I have for you is to make sure the sensor mount is rock solid or itll backfire from false triggeres by the sensor wobbling. we have ours out on an arm and had to put a cross brace across the front of the balancer to stop the arm wobbling. ideally mounted flat on the timing case would be best I think.
BradGTV

Post by BradGTV »

cheers for clearing that up,
in that case i will make it 10* aswell,

did you allow for adjustment in the sensor mounting?
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

nope, we were jsut careful that it all lined up within 2 degrees or so, then fine tune it with ref angle.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

i would try for 10 degree cranking advance a lot of engines will just wind and wind on 0 timing and not fire up
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

The Alfa Nord engines are pretty easy going ;)
Euro carbed versions have static timing around 4' BTDC (11' BTDC for elec. ignition models), whereas US mechanical injection versions are up to 7' ATDC to try and meet emissions regs.
The 2L nords have max advance of about 40'-42' @ 4500-5000rpm from the factory.
Some of the smaller capacity hot tunes (SS,SZ,GTZ etc) had up to 50' @ 5000.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

delcowizzid wrote:i would try for 10 degree cranking advance a lot of engines will just wind and wind on 0 timing and not fire up
im hearing ya, i tried to put the gemini in diag mode the other day and it just stalled, it likes alot more timing at idle!