Formula Holden

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
kelvin
cars: Commodore

Formula Holden

Post by kelvin »

I was reading details about the old Formula Holden engines and one thing it mentioned was that the camshaft selection was a compromise due to having to use the standard ECU. Something about having to use less lobe seperation. The BIN's look pretty much fully tunable. What was the problem there?.
blownvp

Re: Formula Holden

Post by blownvp »

eveyone had to run the same tune so they had to build the engine to suit the tune.if they run the standard crankshaft they are on the limit.i think the cam they used was pretty wild.check out the specs at wade cams website.i think the cam number was 1058a.they idled at about 1600 rpm.they made about 350 b.h.p. n.a. at the flywheel rev limit was 7200 no knock sensing no oxygen sensor full open loop tune.the 5d xdf goes to 7200 r.p.m. for ve map so they were right at the end of the revs scale so the ecu should be ok for that application.i think they run the early bosch injectors out of like xe falcons and run the rail at 4 bar. somewhere on just commodores someones got a copy of the calibration memcal bin for the v6 formula holden.cheers darren.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Thats some great info blownvp :thumbup:

Have added the bin here ... https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopi ... 8784#p8784
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

if im reading this right... waht a gay spark map, locked at 25 deg from 1600 - 4000 then from 4800 > locked at 28 deg. I know hardly anyhting about those engines but it still doenst look very ideal to me., going off the VE map, I would have curved it more in the lower rpms rather than leaving it flat but it problaby makes dick all difference in a race car, also would have sloped it up after 5600rpm at like 2 or 3 deg per 1000rpm this helps them really keep going up high revs after the VE trails off, I guess its a limitaion of $5D tho coz you can only slope up startign at 4800
monaro308
cars: VT S1 LS1 C/dore track car
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Post by monaro308 »

VL400 did you recieve my email regarding the formula Holden and F3000 bins i sent you?
A couple of mates ran F3000 and said there was a bit of funny stuff going on like running a dummy ECU in the system with a patched programmable ecu hidden in the chassis.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

were the cheaters winning by any chance ??
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Thanks for the bins monaro308, have added them to the formula holden bin post above.