My Bargain v8 vs what to do

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Dec_head
cars: VR Calais

My Bargain v8 vs what to do

Post by Dec_head »

Just picked up a v8 vs berlina auto with milky oil not sure what to do with it.
Could it just be the inlet corroded maybe ? i have another one here i can put on thats in great condition.
It has a new radiator and some rusty water stains on certain bits like it was overheated at some stage but it fres up and runs sweet.
Not sure what to do wreck it out for parts or fix it n thrash it.
Holden202T

Re: My Bargain v8 vs what to do

Post by Holden202T »

if you can't do it yourself get someone to pressure test the coolant system, it could be inlet but it could also be head gaskets ..... either way if its only the top end its not a huge price to fix it
Dec_head

Post by Dec_head »

Yeah i am thinking i will remove the inlet and look for signs of corrosion.
if it is just that i'll throw the one on i have here and see how she goes.
if it isn't the problem i'll just wreck the car out.
probably worth more in parts anyway it has a few parts i can use on my other car as well
Dec_head

Post by Dec_head »

Almost done got stuck into it inlet manifold gaskets were pretty sad looking around the water jackets.
cleaned it all up manifold was ok fitted new gaskets hopefully tomorrow morning she fires up and all goes well so far so good i got it topped up with water will see if any comes out the sump plug over night.
So far pretty good price wise $20 for inlet manifold gaskets and oil filter and $11 for gtx2 at supercheap on special should do it for a flush out might have to do a few oil changes it is a bit gunked up inside cleaned up the majority of it though.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

best way to get the water out of the inside of the motor is to let it get hot for a long time, ie. let it sit idling for 1hr etc .... vapourises all the water and the PCV sucks it up .....

but yeah might take a while and a few oil changes before you'll know for sure.
Dec_head

Post by Dec_head »

Yeah got it all going again new oil filter etc and i give it a pretty good flush out with the sump plug out.
i can see what you mean the the water turns into steam left it idling for quite some time.
i'll run some engine oil flush through it as well as and then do another oil and filter change but so far so good.
seems to have fixed it.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i wouldn't bother changing either .... but if you do anything just do the oil, theres no point in changing the filter if it was new with the oil!
Dec_head

Post by Dec_head »

Oddball someone has definetely changed the pcm had a v6 one in it maybe the bcm as well i put a vs chip in and it wouldn't start looked at the original memcal and it's vr bmzc i have a tune here that was supposed to be pretty good but it is bmzk based and the def says $58 yet can't find an xdf all i need to do is disable vats.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

jayme has played with these sorta changes, he might be able to advise!
The1

Post by The1 »

there's a vs v8 bt1 ecu here going for 1c at the moment, has no memcal but price of postage if no one bids.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 622wt_1137