Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
ae86cesar
cars: ae86 toyota corolla 1984
2006 scion tc

new to the site

Post by ae86cesar »

hi everyone,
i am very interested in converting my car to a programmable delco ecu

i have read the getting started guide from vl400 but i still have a few questions...

my car is a 1984 toyota corolla (ae86) with a 1.6L 4age i want to turbo this engine in the near future and my question is...

do i need a specific delco ecu from a certain car for my aplication?
where can i get such ecu (im in the U.S.)
what do i need to tune and install this ecu into my car?

i will continue to read maybe ill answer my own questions.. sorry in advance if my questions are dumb im new to this and i dont want to spend money on super expensive standalone ecus
Jayme

Re: new to the site

Post by Jayme »

perfect ECU for you to use thats available in the states would be the delco 1227165 and VL400's OSE $12P software (this is capable of reading a 2 bar map sensor for your turbo application). wire it up like the 1227808 in the holden commodore or camira, I can send you a wiring diagram if you require.

first hurdle is what kind of crank triggering to you have? reluctor or hall effect? this will determine what ignition module you need to use.
ae86cesar
2006 scion tc

Post by ae86cesar »

thanks i would apreciate it, now my car is afm not map would this make a difference or do i just convert to map
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i would convert it to map!
ae86cesar
2006 scion tc

Post by ae86cesar »

ok the delco 1227165 is from a 87 camaro z28 v8 and possibly also found in a s-10 small pickup i think i can find this easily at my local wrecking yard, im just going to research more before i pull one out

as for the ignition how do i figure out what kind i have, all i know is that the 4age motor i have is that its inline 4 and has a air flow meter (converting to map) tps and a distributor driven by the exhaust camshaft i believe

thanks for the responses so far i taught i was going to get made fun of for being a noob lol
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

take a picture of inside your distributor and post it up .if it looks like lots of copper wire windings its reluctor dizzy if it has a chopper wheel going through a small black box its hall effect style
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
ae86cesar
2006 scion tc

Post by ae86cesar »

i found this on a website but i lost it in the research process this is what it said...

the 4age distributor produces a trigger signal (for engine rpm and crank position sensing) using a magnetic reluctor sensor mounted in the distributor

regardless i will take a picture and post it just to make sure
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

http://www.aeu86.org/files/ds/dsc00661_medium_108.jpg its probably like that one hopefully and will just use the top 4 tooth trigger wheel which ide say is reluctor which makes like easy
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
ae86cesar
2006 scion tc

Post by ae86cesar »

yea thats very similar or even the same as my distributor

for wiring do i use my cars original wiring and sensors or do i take the whole ecu and wiring harness from the gm, so far as i understand it the delco ecu i will get will need to get some stuff sodered into the board so i can have access to it via laptop and tune it to the specs. of my application is this correct?

also is it possible to convert to coilpacks and tune it for that instead? i ask because other 4age tuner have done this with their expensive standalone ecus
Last edited by ae86cesar on Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Welcome to the forums :thumbup:

For the ignition you should be able to use a chev V8 module like one of these .. http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/GM_7pinHEI.htm . It would use the 4 tooth pickup in the picture above.

Here is the info of whats inside the memcal netres so you can convert a memcal to suit if a 4cyl one cant be found ... https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopi ... 6851#p6850

You will need to get a whole new loom, you could cut and splice the delco connectors but it would be easier to just grab an entire loom and install that while removing the unused wiring. You will also need to check what impedance your injectors are, if they are low impedance the '165 wont work, would need to go for code59 and a 1227749 or install high impedance injectors.