1934 Chevrolet Tudor

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Gampy

Re: 1934 Chevrolet Tudor

Post by Gampy »

Curious how long the probe is on that sensor ... Is it still in the stream (and by how much) or does it end in the adapter?
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
34EV1L
cars: 1934 Chev Tudor Street Rod - with Ecotec!!

Post by 34EV1L »

Gampy wrote:Curious how long the probe is on that sensor ... Is it still in the stream (and by how much) or does it end in the adapter?
Should have taken a photo before I put it in. The tip of the probe does go further than the adapter by at least 5mm.

Hope that helps.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

When I had my adapter made it was 12 X 1.5 straight thread with a flat face for the copper washer. And the outside was what ever imperial thread it happened to be but tapered so it would lock in just before the flat washer face went flush with the manifold. So the depth of the adapter was the same as the alloy thickness. That way the probe was well into the coolant.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

5 * .039 = .195 ... That's pretty short, though it might be enough.

Vlad01, don't know what y'all call it, we (US) call it Pipe Thread ...

For those that don't know, Pipe Thread is a tapered thread, to intentionally thread bind pipe fittings causing them to tighten and seal.

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

All I know it was non standard US pipe thread not the normal BSP we have here hence why I had to have it custom made. Even when I tried to get the coolant drain plugs and oil gallery plugs it was hard to find here, nothing fit until I worked out it was something other than BSP. NTP or something like that I recall it was called. Had to special order it.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

So many pipe standards. BSP is British Standard Pipe (thread), and most common in au, and NPT is National Pipe Thread, the American one Gampy is talking about. Both are tapered, and are close enough to each other to make you think you have the right thing sometimes when you dont. BSP is quite common in AU but NPT turns up a lot in cars for obvious reasons. You often see T pieces with either BSP or NPT on one end of the T and one each of the other two on the side so you can plug in American sensors in to BSP vehicles etc, but its hard to eyeball whats what in such a T on the shelf.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yeah I couldn't find NPT plugs for my car in any stores, ended up ordering them from somewhere and that is what ended up fitting. It was confusing as all the other sensors were metric threads, including metric tapered thread on the MAT sensor. And since the engine has metric threads externally imperial internally I thought it had to be BSP as that is imperial in my eyes. Didn't really know there was another imperial pipe thread since I never used it in any other field.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Thread hell ... And I don't mean just Pipe, all of them!

Sure would be nice (or would it??, Hmm!) if we all used the same thing.

To us here, seeing BSP looks like an NTP that someone has crammed in the wrong hole and rounded off the peaks and valleys of the thread, BSP has rounder peaks and valleys, while NTP has sharp peaks and valleys, this is accomplished on the BSP by having a steeper angle on the threads, the thread pitch is the same.

vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Pretty sure the rounded thread is to allow room for teflon tape without the thread cutting through it. A lot of the cheap pipes at the hardware store have sharp threads and the tape just cuts up to bits when tightening it.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

NPT is very common in hydraulics & easy to pick up in places like Pirtec etc. NPT on some sizes has 1 less thread than BSP, both BSP & NPT are available in tapered or parallel thread forms.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---