OBDX Development - Developer Tools and Suggestions

Programs / Tools / Scripts
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: OBDX Development - Developer Tools and Suggestions

Post by Tazzi »

I know theres been people waiting patiently about the remote J2534 API... it is still coming along.
I have had to implement a few things to handle situations:
1) Identifying the lowest ping server for clients.
2) Attempt auto reconnect in event of completely loss of communication (I have to literally turn off wifi to test this).

Ontop of this, I have had to incorporate the roundtrip latency into the remote J2534 design since some J2534 applications will have a max number PassThruRead attempts, or a smaller timeout value which could be hit in the event of high latency connections. The quick and easy fix is just adding the roundtrip latency to the timeout value to overcome this, not that it has caused any troubles so far... this is just preventative coding.

There is not too much more to add to it now, other then finalizing the accounts login system and licensing. :thumbup:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
lsxautumn
cars: 02 sierra 2500HD LQ4 4L80E
AKA a void that eats all my money

Post by lsxautumn »

Is there a way to install the drivers on a linux machine?

Also if anyone wants a working tis2000 vm(vmware) for the OBDXpro GT I have one here. Be warned I pre allocated the space of 60 gb for it so its a pretty big drive but it will essentially plug and play as long as you add a parallel port to the VM.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iSfE_h ... sp=sharing
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Right, just a quick little update with some common answers and questions since Iv had the same questions quite a few times in a row now!

Q) Why can't I use my OBDX Pro VT with tech2win on a 2009 GMC Sierra (Or other late model GM Car)?
A) Later model cars use a different OBD protocol not supported by the VT which is why Tech2win crashes when trying to use anything other then vehicles that support the OBD2 VPW J1850 protocol. There is nothing I can do to fix this as tech2win is extremely temperamental.

Q) When is the remote OBDX Pro J2534 coming out?
A) This has taken a back seat while working with developers to get native OBDX support up and running in their applications.

Q) WIFI in the MAUI example does not work for iphones? How do I fix it
A) The socket connection in the current library of MAUI is broken on iphones. I still have an open ticket about this and demonstrated that making my own library from IOS directly solves the problem, but microsoft has not done anything about this. I would need to compile their source code to identify where the exact issue is occuring. Otherwise, create a completely custom library myself.

Q) How do I use classic bluetooth on iphones?
A) The short answer is you cannot. Currently the iphone can only use bluetooth low energy (BLE), which is only suitable for basic requests as it is not fast enough for flashing. BUT... we are in the works for getting classic bluetooth working on iOS using a factory feature released by apple. We are currently trying to work out of this will break Android support completely or if it will work for iOS and Android. This makes a big impact for what we will do in the future.
Getting this new feature working will be a huge leap in adding fast communication to iphones (excluding wifi) to allow developers to create flashing based applications or fast logging apps.

Q) Can the OBDX Pro GT do FD CAN?
A) The GT does have the hardware to support FDCAN, but, it needs a firmware update that will remove ELM support to be able to fit it (Meaning it will be DVI commands only supported). We will likely have an option update available to allow switching to FD CAN supported firmware to be used with custom applications or J2534 applications.

Q) Is OBDX making a remote flashing application?
A) It is on our todo list to create an application to allow flashing in custom tunes for various manufactures. This will not likely be happening till early/mid next year.
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya Tazzi,
I know there have been quick threads spurting differences in the models but here might be a good spot to briefly list the differences and quick features for each model.
Like I'm still not sure I follow if the latest version does CAN only or will it do both VPW and CAN?
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

In-Tech wrote:Hiya Tazzi,
I know there have been quick threads spurting differences in the models but here might be a good spot to briefly list the differences and quick features for each model.
Like I'm still not sure I follow if the latest version does CAN only or will it do both VPW and CAN?
I believe I have it listed on each of the product pages? I will double check shortly though.

The latest OBDX Pro VX tool does support VPW and Canbus :thumbup:
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

When the tortoise beats the hare... a real life example! :o

So.. anyone that has used OBDX on J2534 knows its fast. It will max out the CAN network at actual baud rate limits if you pop a scope on and monitor.
This is due to the way I have optimized the code to have the data ready to send instantly. Whereas when comparing with other tools such as a GM MDI, those kinda of scantools run entire operating systems which will inherently have delay from other running systems causing delays between frames to always be longer then actually requested by the module.

Now.. this does actually cause problems in such a scenario as below.
When following the iso-15765 standard, the flow control messages tell you how fast you are allowed to send a message.

For example:
7E8 30 00 00 AA AA AA AA AA
Where:
30 = flow control (Continue sending data)
00 = block size, continue sending no limit
00 = Separation time, where 0 means go as fast as possible.

Another example is:
7E8 30 00 05 AA AA AA AA AA
Where:
05 = Separation time, where 5 means wait 5 milliseconds between each consecutive message.

And finally:
7E8 30 00 F1 AA AA AA AA AA
Where:
F1 = Separation time, where F1 means wait a minimum 100microseconds between frames.

Between F1 to F9, the timing goes to microseconds. Where F1=100micros and F9=900micros.

The key word here, is "minimum" time between frames.
Now, I have a bench GM ECU which keeps failing to flash. All the data is there, but the ECU fails to respond as if its somehow missed the data. And.... thats exactly what is happening!
Even though the OBDX is meeting its obligations exactly and using 100micro delay between each frame, the ECU is missing data being sent to it as it is unable to keep up!
I had the scope up and I am exactly 100 to 102microseconds between each frame.
When monitoring the GM MDI, its up around the 300-600microseconds, so theres quite a difference which also varies between frames.

All is not lost though, it just means that another firmware is inbound for the OBDX tools to deal with this situation exactly.
The plan is to set the 'actual' minimum delay between frames to be 500micros. Anything less then this will be set to 500 as a bit of a safety barrier.

Even though we are talking about a fraction of a single millisecond, every delay makes a big difference on the total flash time.
Going from even 1ms to 500us means its technically sending 2x as fast, which results in shaving of several minutes on big flashes.
This is the difference between a 6min flash at 1ms, and 3min flash at 500us.

Amazingly, I have not had issues when dealing with modules which say "send as fast as possible". These are obviously prepared to deal with the high speed and process through. But it appears to be situations where modules already require additional time where using the recommended minimum time is not actually a good idea.

So... thats my show and tell for the day! :lol:
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Its nice when things just work!

Finally completed the implementation for ISO9141-2 and ISO14230 (Kline/Lline vehicles). Along with a PWM setup which will handle the 41.6k speed happily, just untested on faster speeds until one of these illusive EECV ecus which support highspeed are available.

Thats all primary OBD2 protocols supported and running. Next up is Petes magic to have it all fit into a new case design for our initial testing.
Whiteford
cars: Ford Falcon

Post by Whiteford »

USB-C Please.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Whiteford wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:06 pm USB-C Please.
As soon as an obd case with a usb-c slot is available through the main manufactures, it will be.

The new prototype we are working on uses USB-B (the printer style USBs which are basically indestructible).
Whiteford
cars: Ford Falcon

Post by Whiteford »

USB-B, the gold standard in the automotive industry. Just not Micro USB again please...