PCM Hammer Release 021

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Gampy

Re: PCM Hammer Release 021

Post by Gampy »

SAE J2534-1 Revised DEC2004
J2534-J1850VPW-DEC2004.jpg
-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
vwnut8392
cars: AAN powered 83 audi 4000 quattro
1983 audi UR quattro
1992 GTI VR6

Post by vwnut8392 »

Gampy wrote:I agree it does not conform to the standard, and it does not support 4x.

I do not know the exact wording of the J2534 J1850VPW buffer size specification off the top of my head, but the specification size is: 4128 bytes.

So their VCI does not meet the J2534 J1850VPW specification, or even the J2534 specification which I believe is the same size.

If you have MS Visual Studio 2017/2019 installed (it's free), it's simple to build PCMHammer, just use the Kernels out of a release and copy them to the Apps\PcmHammer\bin\Debug directory, then reduce the MaxSendSize and MaxReceiveSize here: J2534 Packet sizing, build and test ... Wash and repeat until you find it's max capabilities.

It's probably not worth the hassle, or even wasting your time communicating with them ... They likely know, they likely don't care!

That is a lot of money for a non-compliant J2534 VCI ...

-Enjoy
just a suggestion here but how about adding a section in settings for the j2534 devices to be able to manually set the max send a receive size if it turns out that you have an odd device like mine. makes it a little more dummy proof for those who dont know visual studio.

also when i make the changes in visual studio and try to build it says it cannot build because of errors. if i run it in debugger in visual studio it comes up fine.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Actually, I have a user defined send and receive max size, I just have never added it to a public release.

What is the error ...
There should be no errors or warnings, if there is something is not right!

-Enjoy

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Gampy wrote:Actually, I have a user defined send and receive max size, I just have never added it to a public release.
This would be a nice feature for people with bad interfaces. I have been wanting to add this for a while, but it's way down on my list because there are more important things to add, rather then to give my time for free to allow these companies who make crappy interfaces sell more of them and the resulting support mess that could create when they break in other weird ways. Would accept code that adds it to the UI though.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vwnut8392
1983 audi UR quattro
1992 GTI VR6

Post by vwnut8392 »

well i tried what gampy suggested with no luck. i still get the same error right after it tries to upload the kernel. tried 4 different ECU's. both P01 and P59. i collected a pile of the from my friends junkyard in hopes to do disassembly on them and write some custom code for them. follow up on the launch control stuff i started a few years back. out of the huge pile of cables i have laying around i cannot find a single one that works. man thats frustrating.

i sent an email to scanmatik about this though i doubt they will reply. what i said may have been sketchy because im not fully understanding whats happening here honestly but i still think its worth the effort to try and get the scanmatik pro 2 to work with this software.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Whats happening is the tool looks designed as a scan tool (scan matik) which has minimal technical requirements. Slow/standard speed, packet lengths ~ 12 bytes. As soon as you get in to reflash territory - high speed (4x) and large packets (up to 4096 bytes payload plus headers), the cable isn't made for it and it looks like its dropping the data or cutting it off instead of transmitting it as intended.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

How small did you go ??
Probably need to do like 8 + 12, or less, heck do 2 + 12 ... It'll just be really slow!

I've done 1 + 12, it just took 21 hours (or something like that). :roll:

-Enjoy

Cincinnatus
cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Vwnut, rather than spend so much time trying to make something work, why not just buy an interface that is capable? I like my vcx nano for gm, it has a license nuisance, but it will program with techline connect, do diagnostics with tech2win and gds2, works with forscan hscan and mscan, and works with pcmhammer. Usb version is $110 last I checked. There are other interfaces as well for less than $100.
vwnut8392
1983 audi UR quattro
1992 GTI VR6

Post by vwnut8392 »

Gampy wrote:How small did you go ??
Probably need to do like 8 + 12, or less, heck do 2 + 12 ... It'll just be really slow!

I've done 1 + 12, it just took 21 hours (or something like that). :roll:

-Enjoy
honestly i didnt try that low. i'll try it and see what happens.
vwnut8392
1983 audi UR quattro
1992 GTI VR6

Post by vwnut8392 »

antus wrote:Whats happening is the tool looks designed as a scan tool (scan matik) which has minimal technical requirements. Slow/standard speed, packet lengths ~ 12 bytes. As soon as you get in to reflash territory - high speed (4x) and large packets (up to 4096 bytes payload plus headers), the cable isn't made for it and it looks like its dropping the data or cutting it off instead of transmitting it as intended.
whats weird about it though is this thing has no problems with new german car ECU's like bosch or simos. when i say new i mean like new new. i have even reflashed audi TCU with it. i use software called PCMflash with it. it has awesome support for the VW/audi group vehicles though if you go look at the PCMflash support list its rather extensive though a lot of the vehicles on there where never sold in the USA. though there is no GM support for the most part in PCMflash. might be by choice of the developer though as he is russian.