VN Production Saloon

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
VNracer34G
cars: VN V6 Production Saloon

VN Production Saloon

Post by VNracer34G »

First season done and dusted, bit of a mixed bag results wise but had a ton of fun.

Starting point
TradeMe bargain
TradeMe bargain
67307589_full.jpg (67.17 KiB) Viewed 6866 times
made my money back selling the LPG system and various bits and pieces

to make this
Virgin
Virgin
latest 027.JPG (584.44 KiB) Viewed 6873 times
Havent got round to the drivetrain yet, still auto with 368***km's on it, i just slap it into 2nd (kickdown cable deleted) stab it and steer. Diff gears welded and *inches of stagger on the rear to help get thruogh the turns. Spent this first season for the new car sorting the handling, bit of a mission with the big girl and now being restricted to a max. tyre width of 205---plays even more into the hands of the fwd puller brigade grrr
Attachments
1st taste
1st taste
IMG_1143[1].JPG (65.12 KiB) Viewed 6863 times
Build it, Race it, Break/Bend it ; Repeat.
VNracer34G

Re: VN Production Saloon

Post by VNracer34G »

This is Donor, so far has given a good mate the FE2 springs/front sway bar for his VK Production saloon; steering column/wheel etc. plus bootlid/spoiler has gone to DYNO as will LSD diff. Pillaging it of a few panels and rest of suspension etc. for spares for racecar :) non contact class but rubbin' is racin' :D

DONOR
DONOR
EASTER09 101.JPG (585.79 KiB) Viewed 6864 times
And this is DYNO
About to put a s1 manualmotor/5 speed in so i can test heads/manifolds on ( have been doing my own porting/valve jobs for years) and work out tuning the delco, we arent allowed datalogging on the racecars and going near it with a laptop in the pits will get you trailered immediately, by sticking DYNO back on the road hopefully i an start next season flying and have a chance of beating the pullers
DYNO
DYNO
EASTER09 097.JPG (676.84 KiB) Viewed 6856 times
HTF do i stop it from cropping half my pictures off??
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

you need to shrink the pictures so they fit on one screen ...

however they do show up, you just have to scroll around the page to see them all...
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Nice looking race car, looks like heaps of fun! :D
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

do you find the trans slips a lot in 2nd without the kick down cause it not only makes it kick down but increases the line pressure in the box depending on how much throttle you give it if you really need to stop the kickdown you can buy a TV valve that is locked at high pressure without the cable connected which would work better will pull the clutches and bands tighter.or you take the torque converter out and they sell a solid adapter that goes in its place to connect to the trans pump and the splines and you use a modified valve body in the trans that slips 1st and second and when you select 3rd its directly locked with zero slip you need better diff gears to suit down in the 4.11's for a start would be good.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Allso i moved your sensor placement thread into the general tuning forum mate.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
VNracer34G

Post by VNracer34G »

VL400 wrote:Nice looking race car, looks like heaps of fun! :D
Thanks man it is. All growed up and still playin' in the dirt :lol: OOHHH YEEAAHHH!!!

And delcowizzid you probably right, however rules say that torque converters must be full of oil and functional, besides the fun coupons are tight and didn't give a damn about the auto anyway as i have a manual s1 motor/box for next season.

Couldn't blow the motor or slushie, not for lack of trying :!:

and thanks, i confess to being a novice at this kinda thing Computers/forums that is
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

yeah i have a limited amount fun coupons myself LOL.will be much better with the manual thats for sure.never got an email from you either.you putting an s1 vn engine in the vp for testing as well or a vps2 engine .
VNracer34G

Post by VNracer34G »

Putting s1 VN manual/motor & box destined for the race car into DYNO the VP for testing purposes, only got one of them puppies as they don't grow on trees which makes em pricey :mrgreen: sounds backwards i know but its a matter of using what i got, when i'm happpy with the setup i'll pull it out again and chuck it in 34G and go racing . Will PM you later delcowizzid, cheers
VNracer34G

Post by VNracer34G »

O.k time for a bit an update.

What was left of Donor..not much, i even cut off the back panel and sills for spares has gone to the crusher....made the missus real happy seeing it go as it dominated the view out the kitchen window.

Dyno needs too much work and too many fun coupons to make roadworthy so will possibly end up as a streetcar racer. My local track runs a couple of 30 or 50 lap streetcar races a season and i kept the barwork from Donor for that possibility using the motor and auto from 34G......will need to put somewhere when i stick the manual motor/box in ;)

Had a S1auto & S2 long blocks that had fallen over given to me last year (both minus sump & pickup and both with S1 intakes sitting on them) so i took the heads from the S1 to tickle up in prep for going through the man. motor, must have been the one that "dropped a lifter"
dropped lifter ??
dropped lifter ??
3a.JPG (86.74 KiB) Viewed 6728 times
heads pretty much done, will finalise seats/chambers when the shortblock goes together to get compression spot on.
016.JPG
016.JPG (84.85 KiB) Viewed 6718 times
When i pulled the first rocker cover off the man. motor i was hit with that burnt smell that spells :cash: this thing has been cooked, big step in tops of bores-torn up cam bearings etc. etc. but the crank looks mint. pulled apart the spare S1 auto and its had some dosh spent on it previously, bores and cam brgs. pistons good, also had new looking genuine morse timing set, ballance shaft gears etc. so i'm using this block/pistons with the manual crank and cam (spare cam badly pitted lobes) and timing cover (spare looked nicer till i found a crack behind the seal through to the pressure side of oil pump .. grr.