Converting 202 to DIS

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
inj gtr202
cars: LC GTR Torana
1982 FJ40

Re: Converting 202 to DIS

Post by inj gtr202 »

I tried that and it instantly lost rpm signal again.
What is the timing supposed to be set at while cranking? It's currently firing at tdc.
What is the parameter to lock in timing at 10deg btdc for diagnosis?
Mechcano

Post by Mechcano »

If you have the ALDL connector in your wiring loom, then link A to B and that will set the ignition to 10deg btdc.
If you no longer have the ALDL connector, then earth pin A9 on the ECM.
Is the "Spark Reference Angel" set to 60deg?

When i first went to start my engine it would not start, the throttle plate needed to be opened up a bit then it started.
Also when cold i have to crank the engine for around 4 seconds before it will fire.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Cranking is supposed to spark at 10 degrees, generated internally by the module, PCM not sending bypass signal (telling it to bypass its internal spark generator and use PCM signled) to the module. With the engine rotating clockwise and positioned to TDC I'd recommend putting the sensor at -60. If it is then sensor should be on the start of the notch at -60, with the next notch at -120 and the +1 extra notch at -130. The tune should be configured for reference angle 60. The physical degrees I gave you include the -60 for where the sensor is mounted. Watch the rpm while cranking and make sure it looks sain. If its way higher than you'd expect or dropping out then I'd probably be inclined to give up on that trigger wheel and get your own cut. I think you are local to me, happy to send you the name of the shop I got mine done if you need give up on that SI one and make one to spec. You'd need to CAD one up but I have done that recently and I think Holden202T might have some details about mounting holes for 202. It might not take much to make it happen.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
inj gtr202
1982 FJ40

Post by inj gtr202 »

I've modified the cas bracket and installed the abs sensor from the commodore and instantly I'm getting a better rpm signal at the ecu and consistent spark at no.1 plug which allowed me to start setting the timing properly. I'm at full stretch with the adjustment on the chopper wheel and I'm firing at 5deg btdc. (Should start)

All plugs in and leads connected and still a popping stuttering mess.

I removed all the plugs except for no.1 and decided to test each coil lead on plug 1 while cranking (fuel relay off). Coil pack 1 was firing at 5 deg. Coil pack 2 looked to be firing at pretty much every signal (or erratically, hard to tell) Coil pack 3 looked to be somewhat in time.

I don't have a lot of experience with fault finding this stuff and have limited equipment but I'd hazard a guess that my ignition module is mcfried.

I'm pretty sure my spark reference angle is set to 10 deg.
I haven't changed anything in the bin file since it last ran with a locked dizzy running the camira module.

It still has the aldl so I'll pin it and double check tomorrow.
I might be putting the wheel back on the mill to get another 5 deg travel out of it.
inj gtr202
1982 FJ40

Post by inj gtr202 »

Yep spark was reference was 10.
I'll change to 60 and see what happens tomorrow.

Is it possible I was getting spark interference from the outer 2 coils while testing in my previous post? Might re- test with all the plugs and leads properly grounded
Attachments
20230704_212931.jpg
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Definitely set reference to 60, not 10 - thats probably your stuttering and popping mess. That probably explains why it seemed so far out. Still suspect trigger more than module, but I cant say for sure. In my case I thought I had problems with the modules heaps of times, but they all worked perfect on my mates car when I took them there and when I fixed my trigger they all came back to life and worked perfect on mine. Ive never seen a module fail on my car so I cant say. Ive seen people on here say the commodore ones tend to fail completely or work properly, and Ive heard of intermittent but not just one coil trigger being bad. Cant say for sure. Can you swap the coil and see if any issue follows the coil?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
inj gtr202
1982 FJ40

Post by inj gtr202 »

Reference now set to 60 and have what appears to be a constant usable spark.

I tested each lead with the timing light and found the firing order not to be anything that I expected.
I obviously had no.1 and 6 firing at 5deg below tdc. But when I tested the leads on cylinders 5 and 2 they where firing 120deg after 1 and 6 instead of 60.

So consequently change so that coils fire 153624 .

Still doesn't fire up but it sounds like it might

Photo of the coils show where the leads go
Attachments
20230705_172709.jpg
inj gtr202
1982 FJ40

Post by inj gtr202 »

Latest attempt
Attachments
20230705_172056.mp4
(19.54 MiB) Downloaded 4271 times
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

You should be getting more bangs than that. Even if the timing is out fuel is there and there is spark. I think still your trigger is bad. I think the extension of the mounting holes has made it too imperfect for that trigger wheel to ever work in that location. Its exactly the problem I had, and I could only solve it in the end by getting a correct trigger wheel with correct mountings cut. If you dont want to do that and if its possible in your case you might be able to use the not extended part of the mounting holes and move the sensor to suit that.
inj gtr202
1982 FJ40

Post by inj gtr202 »

So just to confirm.
The next 2 photos are with the engine at tdc.
The bottom is what I have at the moment
The top is what I understand Antus to be describing to be in the previous recommendation as far as sensor location. Sensor at -60 and zero at -120 with ref at -130

I'm a toolmaker with access to a decent mill so I should be able to get the new slots somewhat bang on if I'm sure of what I'm aiming for.

If not I've got a perfectly good round disc that I'll hang on the shed wall to remind me how little I know about car electronics :lol:
Attachments
20230705_190054.jpg
20230705_185521.jpg