Best way to compare two .bins side by side?

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Best way to compare two .bins side by side?

Post by antus »

I edited my post above as you were answering. Probably different diff ratio. If the speedo is out depends on how its wired. If the dash uses the PCM, then it probably is. If its wired direct, its probably OK. Definitely the PCMs idea of speed would be out, and so things that are supposed to happen at a given RPM will be out.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Is your car the GT or the SE? Which one has the correct VIN, speedo settings? Which one do you need them in?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
DethRattles
cars: 2004 Grand am gt

Post by DethRattles »

antus wrote:Is your car the GT or the SE? Which one has the correct VIN, speedo settings? Which one do you need them in?
My car is a gt with an se pcm and bcm. I have my old gt pcm that i cant use until i cant get a preprogrammed bcm or if i use chipquick and desolder and swap eeprom chips from the bcms.
zack4200
cars: 1982 Chevy Chevette 3400 LA1 swapped
1986 Chevy Chevette
1998 Chevy s10

Post by zack4200 »

DethRattles wrote: Im going to have to read up then and i never did contact lsdroid to see if they cover the grand am. I'll just keep it as is, now when you say the speed is pulses? Is that just saying my speedometer is off using the se version? I wonder if the gt got different sized tires.
LS Droid should support any p04 from late 2000 and newer, so your 2004 shouldn't have any issues imo. attached a screenshot so you don't have to deal with Facebook, but here's the source https://www.facebook.com/groups/LsDroid ... 055111375/. Can't hurt to reach out and verify though.
DethRattles wrote: I dont know how to make screenshots in windows
there are a few ways, one is Alt + Print Screen which will screenshot the active window and put it in your clipboard
Attachments
msedge_j2LYipgjuk.png
msedge_j2LYipgjuk.png (23.17 KiB) Viewed 1998 times
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

If your bin thats not flagged as SE is the GT one, and its all right except you need security disabled, Ive done that for you. To do this I loaded the bin in to TC (like you saw), saved it to cal, updated the vats flag from "1=no light" to "2=disabled", then saved it to a cal again. Then I compared the cals and found the checksum change and the vats change. Then I searched for those patters in the original bin and made the same changes by hand. It validated OK with pcmhammer. So with lsdroid you should be able to write this file to the GT PCM and if vats is the only problem left it should start. The reason a 1 byte change ends up in the 3rd octet of the sum is because of its alignment. its a 16 bit sum, stored to 32 bit address and it just happens to be aligned with the high byte.

OSID: 12589762

Code: Select all

Vats: 7D570: 0=On 1=No Light 2=Off (change 1 to 2)
Sum: 710C8: 4 bytes, add 1 @ 710CA (change B4 to B5)
Attachments
grandambench-novats.bin
(512 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
novats.png
DethRattles

Post by DethRattles »

You said i needed lsdroid and axprogt interface is 149$ I'm too poor for that. I'm also afraid about the whole eeprom thing. Some people thought the no crank was only because the gt pcm didnt match the se bcm vin. I changed the vin on the gt so theres more to it. If the gt one works with vats being disabled that would be wonderful! i just need the money and that axprogt doesnt look too easy to use. I contacted Eddie who replied at tiny tuners. He's taking my bin file from the se and osid and seeing what he can do.
zack4200
1986 Chevy Chevette
1998 Chevy s10

Post by zack4200 »

you can use the OBDX Pro VT as well, it's only $80. https://obdxpro.com/product/obdx-pro-vt/

LS Droid is easy to use, roughly the same difficulty as PCM Hammer imo
DethRattles

Post by DethRattles »

zack4200 wrote:you can use the OBDX Pro VT as well, it's only $80. https://obdxpro.com/product/obdx-pro-vt/

LS Droid is easy to use, roughly the same difficulty as PCM Hammer imo
I thought there was a cheaper way. I think desoldering chips suck. Scary stuff, I need the money though. I'm pretty poor at the moment. The money saved is to get it registeredand insured. I appreciate everyones help! Then again the p04 might need that tool antus was talking about. I know the bcm's on my grand am have eeproms that have to be desoldered swapped or copied and resoldered to work.
zack4200
1986 Chevy Chevette
1998 Chevy s10

Post by zack4200 »

the tool antus mentioned is the OBDX Pro GT, and is is just newer and supports more protocols over the VT, but it's not needed for the p04. I've read and wrote back to my p04 with my VT and LS Droid after making changes to the BIN, so I know the combination works.
DethRattles

Post by DethRattles »

zack4200 wrote:the tool antus mentioned is the OBDX Pro GT, and is is just newer and supports more protocols over the VT, but it's not needed for the p04. I've read and wrote back to my p04 with my VT and LS Droid after making changes to the BIN, so I know the combination works.
I thought it was this https://www.vxdas.com/products/xprog-m-programmer , You feel like trying that for me? I'll pay for shipping :)