vci codes for sps

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Vampyre
cars: grand am, trans am

vci codes for sps

Post by Vampyre »

ok I think I got the Vci thing cracked anyone wanna throw me a few vins and see if the codes I have work
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Re: vci codes for sps

Post by MudDuck514 »

Vampyre wrote:ok I think I got the Vci thing cracked anyone wanna throw me a few vins and see if the codes I have work
Try this one:
1G3NL52E94C163673
Look it up and I'll let you know what the vehicle was. (It was totaled in 2019)

Mike

And another one:
1G3NL52E92C100991

And perhaps this one, though it is a 1994:
1G1JC1441R7344884
Vampyre

Post by Vampyre »

1G3NL52E94C163673=438606
1G3NL52E92C100991=397014
the 94 im looking for since the 94 caviqueer was actually a rebadged isuzu back then not sure if ive got the vci info but i did find some obd1 stuff
MudDuck514
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

The first vin was from a 2004 Olds Alero 3400/auto, while the second was a 2002 Alero with the same powertrain.
So, what are the numbers for that you posted - I have never played with GM software so I have NO idea what they mean.

Mike
Vampyre

Post by Vampyre »

nice ive got a 2000 grand am gt1 that i 3800sc/4t65ehd swapped for my wife. The vci reprogramming allows you to alter the rpo and build codes to suit how vehicle is now, like i can change my engine and trans codes and the file tis will spit out will be for a factory 3800sc/65e-hd grandam. It will allow ppl to edit bcms ecms ipc and other modules that they want to activate options on or swap into their vehicle that nvr came with it. Now i will be able to program my formula firebird clone to use v6 bodies vin but add the lq9/t56 and all the other goodies ive been giving it over the yrs
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

In this case, what does vci stand for??

Thank you!
-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Gatecrasher

Post by Gatecrasher »

VCI in this context is vehicle configuration index. It's used to override the SPS database to load non-standard code. They were used more back before everything was fully online when the database updates didn't happen instantly, but they still needed to push special code in a hurry. Like for a recall, or a special one-off repair. Converting vehicles to law enforcement calibrations (usually custom BCM lighting code) was another big one. You had to call Techline to get one.

I can't think of any reason why anyone would think they could benefit from having one. Maybe someone has an old Tahoe and they want to kill the DRLs or something?

If you're going to start trying to mix and match software with hardware from another car, that sounds like a quick way to brick something.
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

Back in the day when I used vci numbers from techline I typed in the vci number and I swear it simply let me point sps to a file stored on the gm server upstairs that techline had pushed a file to.. then sps would run using that file..
I’m assuming that the vci number was special for each vin/module and you cracked the algo for that.

Does it do something else? Unless you had the correct file I didn’t think having vci number would do a lot?
Gatecrasher

Post by Gatecrasher »

VCI 1001 lets you open an archive file. Sometimes Techline would push a file to the dealership server, or email it to a technician, and they'd have to open it manually with that VCI.

All the other VCIs were one-offs that were pushed to the central SPS database. Like the police lighting thing I mentioned. The VIN for the truck would pull normal civilian lighting calibrations for the BCM. The VCI would let you access a BCM archive file that had police lighting cals.

It's literally the same thing the DPS archive creator does, except it's accessible via the public facing SPS system. Engineering and/or Techline would use DPS to create an archive file using whatever calibrations they needed, they'd push the archive into the SPS database, and then assign it a VCI so the downstream users could access it. VCIs were usually meant for things multiple dealerships might need to use, and the 1001 + archive file were for very specific one-off fixes.

If you need transmission calibrations for a 2002 Firebird for example, but nobody at GM ever created an archive and VCI for some special case situation, then there's not going to be a VCI to access that stuff from the wrong VIN.

Even if you do find what you need, you still have the possibility of bricking your module due to a hardware and software mismatch, or it just might not work correctly because the TCM was meant to work with a totally different ECM or something.

It might work, but you really, really need to do your homework. Same as you would with any aftermarket swap.
MudDuck514
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Sounds interesting.
MAY come in handy for someone trying to swap an LZ9 and or 6T70 into a car they didn't come in, like swapping an LD9/4T40 out of my 2001 GA!

Mike

ps, I could possible send you the vins for the GA and my Venture if you think they would help, but prefer not to make them public.
PM if you need to.