Newbie old fart

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Sudsy

Newbie old fart

Post by Sudsy »

G'day all, I'm an old fart having a go at this new technology so have patience with my stupid questions :D :D .

I'm thinking of using the LS ECU to power my !uz in my 37 chev. Wanting to use the original crank and cam sensors if possible which are VR sensors and LS has Hall. Is there a way of using these with maybe a small circuit change or similar and using the 36-1 reluctor wheel that is already fitted? I noticed that the 24 tooth reluctor on the early LS is double sided with a starnge tooth configuration. If need be i can make a normal evenly spaced 24 tooth reluctor and adapt the genuine hall sensor but don't know if that would work. I think i've worked out a way to use the trans control to change the solenoids in the toyota trans with a couple of relays as the Toyota trans is positive switched where GM is negative (or visa versa. My memory aint what it used to be).

Anyway i now wait for your expert replies

Cheers Bob
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Newbie old fart

Post by Dylan »

An option is to fit a aftermarket single row LS1 timing wheel.
I don't recall the KS crank angle sensor polarity off hand.

Another less desirable option could be to go the Low Res mode option in the ECU. Have a Google of that and see.
Cincinnatus
cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Low res option is the 4x crank and 1x distibutor of the 4.3l, 5.0l, and 5.7l engines.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Even the cam signal is somewhat optional
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

it means you loose sequential injection, but from reports batch fire to sequential doesnt make much of a difference. Up to you if this is acceptable or not.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I think the advantage of sequential is lower emissions at low speeds. Power output from what I believe will be the same.
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

I guess you may have misunderstood my question but thank you all for the replies. I will start another post and reword it maybe
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

I briefly answered above. I'll go further.

You need to keep the standard but unique 24 tooth pattern.
If you use the factory dual wheel, you'll need the OEM sensor as well well. You can get aftermarkets single wheels and sensors to adapt to the Toyota crankshaft. That's the best way then you will have the 8 coils.

Further to that, if you can replicate the OEM cam signal which is a 50% duty cycle to indicate which bank is active you'll then retain sequential spark and injection.
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Dylan wrote:I briefly answered above. I'll go further.

You need to keep the standard but unique 24 tooth pattern.
If you use the factory dual wheel, you'll need the OEM sensor as well well. You can get aftermarkets single wheels and sensors to adapt to the Toyota crankshaft. That's the best way then you will have the 8 coils.

Further to that, if you can replicate the OEM cam signal which is a 50% duty cycle to indicate which bank is active you'll then retain sequential spark and injection.
Thanks Dylan, i read all the answers before but they really hadn't answered the question to my understanding. Your reply now makes more sense. I have no problem making a a single wheel trigger to suit the toyota engine. I'm sure i could make something for the cam as well to duplicate the signal and i could possibly use the LS cam sensor for that. I just didn't know if the crank sensor would work correctly with a single plain 24 tooth wheel. Thats why i asked about using the VR sensor. I know they give a different signal but have read that their are signal converters around. Just don't know if they would work in this application or not. I will see if i gan find a hall sensor that i can adapt to fit and work. Thanks again for your input
Cincinnatus
cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Without cam signal on 24x, I think sequential still works, but will have extended crank until pcm figures out which firing sequence to use to get engine running.