Is my vats turned off in universal patcher?

DethRattles
cars: 2004 Grand am gt

Re: Is my vats turned off in universal patcher?

Post by DethRattles »

Gampy wrote:
DethRattles wrote:
mod-61411torre.bin
I love your posts DWS so much fun to read and try and get an understanding is crucial in learning these things. I did change the fans temp numbers and would love to figure out how to get universal patcher to change Celsius into Fahrenheit. I happen to run across a bin today that wouldnt let me compare in UP it's from a 2003 grand am and has 570 tables and my 2004 only has 558. I can't figure out what's different between them, so many tables that everything looks the same. If anyone has time to compare it would be interesting to find out if i'm missing tables or if they added them. UP says my gampy bin table isn't found when i try and compare.

I was dickin around instead of learning which i regret so badly. I feel as if i'm decades behind. I can make any firework though and fly inverted with an rc heli. Have other talents but only the ladies know about that :D
If they are different Operating systems they are going to be different, and yes they may very well have far different parameter counts!

Trying to compare two different OsIDs in the P04 world is a joke, they are not similar, that is why P04 reading and writing is so difficult ... To many variations.

I suspect that "isn't found" error message is due to the fact that your comparison OsID has tables in it that your GT bin (you call gampy bin) does not ... That is to be expected, they are NOT THE SAME!!
They are never going to compare, never unless they are the exact same OsID, then the operating system parts may match, the rest will likely not unless they also have the exact same calibrations!

-Enjoy
Why do I always feel you're yelling at me, i'm new to this and thought a 2003 gramd am gt and 2004 bins could be compared regardless of the extra tables. Same osid when my se and gt have different osid's but can compare them? This is confusing. Maybe the guy had a different engine installed idk.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

No way bud, I ain't yelling at ya! ... Sorry if I come across that way, I surely have nothing against you.

Sorry I definitely don't mean too ...

Thank you for telling me that, I do appreciate it. :thumbup:

I suspect it has to do with my correcting you when you do something that is not going to help you ...

All I want to do is help!

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
DethRattles

Post by DethRattles »

Gampy wrote:No way bud, I ain't yelling at ya! ... Sorry if I come across that way, I surely have nothing against you.

Sorry I definitely don't mean too ...

Thank you for telling me that, I do appreciate it. :thumbup:

I suspect it has to do with my correcting you when you do something that is not going to help you ...

All I want to do is help!

-Enjoy
Thanks Gampy and i do appreciate your help, you've helped me immensely and i thank you for all the time you spent on me. Sp happy to have my car running again!
DWS
cars: Tons of Toyotas, 2003 cavi derby car, ford trucks, etc.

Post by DWS »

Yea the P04 world is a pretty crazy one from what little I've seen. Even the same computer from the same vehicle can have different OS id's. I was once told there's around 360 that exist. You can actually load up GM's TIS and put in the vin number of either vehicle and you can see what the dealer has logged for what calibration id you should have or whatever term they use. Basically the code the computer came with isn't always the code that is on the computer after several years of use. GM does updates, and if someone took the car into the dealer they might have flashed it to the newer stuff, sometimes it's to fix problems, sometimes it's emission things, but like that rev hang, it could be just part of the setup in the bin that you're running it's hard to know for sure. I think a good way to put it on these P04 OS's or bins is think of a grid, you have the same start and stop point, and you have to draw a line through each of the boxes. There's 100's if not 1000's of ways to do the same thing. Each of those boxes is a small subset of the code and they can be slightly different from one to another but do the same thing or very similar. It's not like windows where there's windows 10, then now there's windows 11, it's more like windows vs linux, vs mac, vs 300 other versions. They all do similar things, but how it's done can be quite different, or sometimes it's almost the same as another one.

I'm probably just about talking in circles, getting late lol.

If you want to compare bins, you'd need the same part number on the computer and the serv number matching, then hopefully both computers haven't been updated by a GM dealer, then they should have the same OS and all settings should be more or less identical besides unique things per vehicle like vin number, but I don't think there's much value in that besides noting the things that change per computer, like the BCM code/password might be part of the data that changes. I would think that's the vin, but I haven't dove into them that deep to know for sure. I've done that kind of thing on Toyota's though, the key code from the key transponder is directly communicated to the computer over 3 wires. If I recall things right it sends a start bit, the key code in normal plain data, then there's a sort of pause and I think a checksum of some sort is sent to make sure the communication doesn't have any errors. Been a while since I did that, but it validated the data format of the immo eeprom on those computers.
Ford EEC-V Bin Converter (bank swapping and padding): viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8342
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

GM do have OS IDs, calibration IDs, and segment IDs. In the P04 world they only have OSID and cranked out a new one for every calibration change, even if it was the same OS. This is why there are so many. P04s pre-date the concept of segments, and wow did segments help! On P04s if you check the sums of the OS segment (which isnt a concept, so you need to come up with your own way of doing this) you'll find that many different OSIDs actually have the same OS but a different Calibration. Im still working this out myself but I think on the 512K P04s there are only about 7-10 actual operating systems. And Im not sure how well they line up with flash sectors, so the concept of a cal only flash may not exist for a P04, or might necessitate considering the whole chip. Then we rely on PCMHammers CRC32 feature to avoid the need to erase the boot sector and any OS sector that doesnt have changes in it.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

It is my understanding that the P04 does not observe flash sector boundaries.

Somewhere on here someone states that the flash sector that has the calibration data starts with OS code, I forget how much or even if it was said, thus calibration writes will include some os code.

This info may be in the 'V6 ability for pcm hammer' thread ... It's been awhile since I've read that thread.

One thing I don't remember reading about the P04, does it have the same kinda recovery as the P01, seems likely not if there is os code in the calibration flash sector.
Not that I care now having the BDM pinout ... :D :thumbup:

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

The thing is, pcmhammer is the only tool that will check CRC32 of flash sectors. So where other tools would erase the whole thing, pcm hammer wont unless it really needs to. I have looked closely enough to know the boot code is at the start of the chip. But yes, we have some things to figure out yet.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
DethRattles

Post by DethRattles »

I decided to do a "find differences" in universal patcher and then changed the gt differences over to the se. I did this because of a radiator fan issue. I'm just trying to rule the pcm's out. Previous owner installed wrong relays for it and not sure what happened from there.
Changing the 58 tables which were all mostly transmission related won't have any unseen affect on anything will it? both bins have 558 tables so is everything the same or different based on updates from gm etc?
DWS

Post by DWS »

antus wrote:The thing is, pcmhammer is the only tool that will check CRC32 of flash sectors. So where other tools would erase the whole thing, pcm hammer wont unless it really needs to. I have looked closely enough to know the boot code is at the start of the chip. But yes, we have some things to figure out yet.
The very start of the flash has some things defined for the cpu, initial boot code and interrupt addresses. It's been a long time but there's a table in the datasheet. I was trying to follow the boot logic code to understand the chip setup so in theory I could create my own custom OS. Clearly I didn't get to far before shifting focus. Seems like each one is slightly different and I've had sections of code move around before, again long time ago but I think I've dumped a bin with certain data at the $4000 address space, flash it and after a boot cycle it magically shifted to the $6000 space. I can't remember if that was P04 or the P11's or where exactly I was seeing that happen but I remember something funky like that going on.

Anyway to confirm, from what I've seen so far, the boot code is within the first ~$1000, I recall it jumping to roughly $2300 for another section of code though. I was stepping through the process with the BDM hooked up to also trace the logic flow. Really slow process but was interesting to follow.

I suspect having pcm hammer not write the whole os section is ideal since flashing over OBD2 effectively requires the computer to still boot in the case of a failed flash.

I'm always getting asked about harnesses and computers in the derby world for the P04 platform (3100/3400 engines mainly, some 3800's), so if I get into them, I'll probably be saving every stock bin file along with part number/serv number, vin is in the bin, so working out which vehicle it's from should be pretty easy. Probably a good idea to also log the physical hardware too. I know there's at least 3 flash chip part numbers, 2x intel and one amd that I've seen so far.
DWS

Post by DWS »

Gampy wrote:It is my understanding that the P04 does not observe flash sector boundaries.

Somewhere on here someone states that the flash sector that has the calibration data starts with OS code, I forget how much or even if it was said, thus calibration writes will include some os code.

This info may be in the 'V6 ability for pcm hammer' thread ... It's been awhile since I've read that thread.

One thing I don't remember reading about the P04, does it have the same kinda recovery as the P01, seems likely not if there is os code in the calibration flash sector.
Not that I care now having the BDM pinout ... :D :thumbup:

-Enjoy
If I recall correctly, a lot of segments start at the different flash boundaries, but I don't think it's quite segmented the same way like the other computers that support the segment swap logic. I'm not sure how likely someone would want to segment swap, but in theory if the code is worked out enough on all of the variations, os, tune, trans, etc codes could be separated and isolated to standard locations. It would take clearly a program to shift things around and update all the data references in the whole bin for the new addresses, but it should be very possible. I'm sure that's a massive project even for one single bin but there's no reason why the code couldn't be moved around. The only thing that might be locked down is the actual boot code segment, I can't recall if that gets locked down or not after boot.

I think working out the code function by function would be an interesting way to "decode" the spaghetti code. Now that I'm thinking about things more, it might be quite a challenge to make the segments work with other OS's, kind of depends how the code flow is and how the different sections of code interact together.

If there's only a hand full of OS's for the P04's that should help, the segment swap concept should work within the same OS structure I'd think. The fun thing would be how to identify each one reliability and of course, what to call them since the OS Id's won't make much sense.