Is my vats turned off in universal patcher?

DWS
cars: Tons of Toyotas, 2003 cavi derby car, ford trucks, etc.

Re: Is my vats turned off in universal patcher?

Post by DWS »

I'm wondering now, has anyone done the physical pinout tracing? Is there much differences in hardware at all besides the 3 or so flash chips? In theory the same code should work across the same hardware, just the settings would need to match the vehicle it's going in. I've used a "W Body" flash on a "N Body" computer with success, one has AMD other has Intel for the flash chips, however, I'm not doing anything over OBD2 so that wasn't a concern, I'm sure the actual flash code probably doesn't work unless it auto detects which chip it's interfacing with. Here's an example on the Toyota computer's I've been poking at. I haven't even dumped the firmware on them because it's physically inside the computer and I haven't worked out the BDM pins yet or the exact cpu model it has, I just know it's a Toshiba. I would think knowing which sensor/pin is controlled by which pin on the chips should help identify chips as well as any that interface directly with the CPU it should be easy to find the references in the code using the pinout. All just talking in theory, I've never went through the process, but it seems to make sense to me at least.
Attachments
330976477_2147124375677417_4255320009519204390_n.png
Ford EEC-V Bin Converter (bank swapping and padding): viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8342
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

yep what your saying about boot sector is right, and the param blocks at $4000 and $6000. There is lots of information in other threads about this.

In p01/p59 the amd osids have code to detect amd or intel flash and work on both, bit the osids that cane out on intel cant write the amd. but if you put an intel os on amd hardware you'll still be able to fix it because the flash kernel in pcmhammer can handle both and thats uploaded and run at flash time.

the hardware is all similar but watch dogs, dlc, hardware registers and ram move around a bit so need to be located for each one and the kernel code re-built for each type and load address. security algos are known but differ as well.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
DWS

Post by DWS »

Dang, so they really made the P04's a big mess lol. I suspect there can't be too many major hardware redesigns involved, I know in the code there's a flag to switch some of the setup code around which I figured was to tell different models of cars apart or different board versions, which of course makes the code that much harder to follow.

I haven't really read much on these, there wasn't a whole lot back when I first poked at them, so this thread is basically the only reason I've been looking at them again lol. I do have plans on a signal converter for P04 to the 3500 era cars, so getting into the P04's and playing with tunes and such I probably should do since I'd assume the 3500's probably could use a bit of a different tune compared to the 3100/3400's. Of course this is more demo derby logic, but I guess in theory there would be interest if anyone builds those cars too or engine swaps them. The newer computers are a pain since they are all glued together, soldered together, etc. Being able to read/write them over OBD2 would pretty much be a requirement which I'd assume dev is farther on the P04's than the 3500 computers.

I was really hoping the P04's were all basically the same since code could be slung around a bit easier then. I guess if/when I get more into the P04 stuff, I should be logging all the numbers on the computer and any board numbers in my database. It's a side project I started on the Toyota computers, but having a cache of stock bin dumps from them is real handy to reference sometimes.

Now I'm wondering if the Toyota computers changed much model to model, they are similar to the GM's where there's a LOT of part numbers, but there's less board numbers. Some part numbers had 2 different boards, so I'd think there wouldn't be too major of changes. Of course this is more of a GM site, so my Toyota stuff probably isn't of much interest here lol.

Also fun fact for a side mention, looked at a Ford 4500 Tractor Loader Diesel 3cyl, and it had a Delco alt on it, made in USA and it appears the engine rpm comes off the alt through like a gear reduction off the alt's main shaft. Super weird design. The machine's a bit far gone so I passed on it but found the GM alt in a Ford interesting, the engine is labeled as a Ford in the spec sites.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

No sorry I meant between all the m68k based pcms, P01, P04, P10, P12, P59 etc...

P04s should be P04s with Intel or AMD flash, and different flash sizes. at least thats what we expect.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
DWS

Post by DWS »

antus wrote: the hardware is all similar but watch dogs, dlc, hardware registers and ram move around a bit so need to be located for each one and the kernel code re-built for each type and load address. security algos are known but differ as well.
So for this line, once one P04 hardware is worked out, it should apply to all P04's (in theory at least)? There's not much going on for the hardware on those compared to a Toyota, so probably could trace out the main signal pins that make the engine function pretty easily. Might be a good reference for things and to double check things in the code lines up with the hardware. Maybe someone has already done some of this since there's a lot more tables and such discovered now compared to a year or so ago.

Probably could work out when I was poking around with them based on the UP version, I was using 0.18.62 and current version I downloaded recently is 0.22.06.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Yeah in theory. Though not all the hardware is documented and not with specific register address data. So a lot of it is copied sideways between platform and OSs rather than comparing down to the hardware. But all angles are valid. It depends what your trying to do. See the link to the NXP site here for the platform docs we do have (MC683XX sub dir in the zip) viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7639&p=112882&hili ... IP#p112882
DWS

Post by DWS »

Ah yea, that's the file I've been referencing a fair bit lately. Have to love a lot of the P04 threads being referenced are related to me xD. Same theory holds true in that thread though, same hardware should mean software could be made universal, just would need to translate the OS's and parameters into a "universal" setup. Probably takes custom coding to pull that off so I'm sure it's no little task trying to go about things that way.

Working out the hardware to validate which pin is directly related to x sensor should translate into the code as that sensor is being read and related vars would be known. Not sure how most people are working out the tables with out that kind of reversing things, but that's the logic I'd use as a newb at least lol.
DethRattles
cars: 2004 Grand am gt

Post by DethRattles »

The radiator fans kicked on but kicked on at normal too hot for me temps between 225 and 230f. I have them set for 200f to kick on,,I don't know why my changes had no affect on the stock system unless there's one hiding or one affecting another. Antus i'm making a new help me tune my radiator fans.
DWS

Post by DWS »

DethRattles wrote:The radiator fans kicked on but kicked on at normal too hot for me temps between 225 and 230f. I have them set for 200f to kick on,,I don't know why my changes had no affect on the stock system unless there's one hiding or one affecting another. Antus i'm making a new help me tune my radiator fans.
Maybe that code is never hit that the setting is tied to. There's more than one spot in the code that relates to the fans if I recall correctly, but not sure if all of the settings are discovered by UP.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

yeah post your bin or tell us what settings you changed. nobody can tell what you might have done without that information.