W27C512 issues

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
BARBS
cars: LJ Torana
Injected, Turbo, NO2, 186

W27C512 issues

Post by BARBS »

Hi all,

I have a car that I tuned with $11p and an NVRAM, flashed the BIN over to a W27C512 on the original carrier and the car ran perfectly fine,

A week or so later I have used the NVRAM to adjust some transmission settings, erased the W27 and flashed the new BIN over successfully. this time around though the car is running in what seems to be limp mode, over fueling, engine fault on the dash, cannot connect to the ECU with a scan tool. I have had this once before with another '424' and factory 5.7lt.

I have since tried 3 other MEMCAL/W27 combos all with the same result. If I place the NVRAM in the ECU the car will start and run perfectly again.

I have attached a screen shot of the successful burn as well as a copy of the BIN.
Are there any suggestions on why this would not be working?

Regards,
Mark
Attachments
As Left.BIN
(64 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
XGpro.png
XGpro.png (71.19 KiB) Viewed 1562 times
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: W27C512 issues

Post by Dylan »

Just an observation, shouldn't the EPROM ID be say SST27C512?
The 27SF seems a little different.
BARBS

Post by BARBS »

Apologies I had attached the wrong pic, I tried several different chips to see if I could get it to work.
Attachments
XGpro.png
XGpro.png (71.26 KiB) Viewed 1556 times
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Check your bin has an operating system in it, and isn't just a cal only. Check the file is 64K (512 kbits / 8 bits in a byte). Possible that its a bad batch of chips, but if its passing validation that seems less likely. If you pull it out the programmer to power it down and put it back in does it still pass the validation? What speed chips - not too slow?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
BARBS

Post by BARBS »

Thanks Antus,

I have attached a pic of the EEPROM that I have been using. I find it hard to believe they could be faulty as it did work previously and now does not.
How do I go about checking the BIN for an operating system? It is not something I have done before.
Attachments
20230501_101229.jpg
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

OK, so that one is 45ns speed (-45) that is good. You generally want 80 or quicker (smaller) number.

To check the operating system is present have a look at the bin in an editor and look for data toward the end of the file. The operating system covers most of the chip, but its enough just to confirm this part is there at the end.

I was ripped off on ebay buying winbond 512kbit eeproms once. They were fakes and came in a tube and the unscrupulous seller put a good one in the end and the rest would only program once and wouldn't erase. I didn't notice for a while as of course I only tested the first one then decided the batch was good. So, it is possible. Now I would only buy used ones pulled out of old PCs, as I believe they are no longer in production. Not saying your batch is bad, but it is possible if everything else checks out.

Are you using an adapter to plug the whole memcal in to the socket, and can verify the data after its soldered in?
Attachments
11p operating system.png
11p operating system.png (290.55 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
BARBS

Post by BARBS »

Thansk again mate,

I have had a look and it appears the operating system is loaded also.
Maybe I do just have a batch of bad EEPROMS!

I solder them on to the carrier and then load to them. To date I have had nothing but luck with them. Is there an alternative I can start to use in their place?
Attachments
Oper.png
Oper.png (56.76 KiB) Viewed 1533 times
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

That is the calibration, and its the end of calibration. Go right to the bottom, not half way through. There should be lots of data after that point to run the ECM. If there isnt, then that is your problem. Read a full bin with ose flash tool from the pcm in the car using the nvram, or you can do it in tunerpro by turning off "calibration segment only" in the oseplugin settings and hitting the down arrow.
BARBS

Post by BARBS »

antus wrote:That is the calibration, and its the end of calibration. Go right to the bottom, not half way through. There should be lots of data after that point to run the ECM. If there isnt, then that is your problem. Read a full bin with ose flash tool from the PCM in the car using the NVRAM, or you can do it in tunerpro by turning off "calibration segment only" in the oseplugin settings and hitting the down arrow.
Mate your a legend thanks.

I know exactly how this has happened now! I have not loaded the operating system to the EEPROM. When I download from emulator to TunerPro it was saving the cal only.

Pulled the entire BIN out of the NVRAM by turning off "calibration segment only" (takes for ages!!) and flashed it to the EEPROM. The car is running sweet now, thanks again ANTUS.

I wont fall for this one again..... Hopefully!

Barbs
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Yep that is what that setting is for, there is a lot more data when you read the whole thing so it speeds that up a lot.To backup or load your calibration you dont need the OS part.