Throttle crack / Tip-in Rich Lean Spike tuning help

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
h4x0r

Throttle crack / Tip-in Rich Lean Spike tuning help

Post by h4x0r »

Hi guys. I need help with a condition i believed is known as Throttle crack or Tip in. Basically when the car is cruising at low speed with a closed throttle and i press the accelerator pedal a little the engine will gasp/surge a bit.

I'm running 11p with a 424 on a 304 V8
Siemens 60lb injectors
Turbo and turbo cam

I have tuned the VE first by steadily cruising around and it seems bang on 14.7 most of the time. Now im playing around with Transient stuff like accelerator enrichment.

If you look at this log you can see i'm cruising and AFR is bang on 14.7 until I crack the throttle open a little and you can see the car spikes rich to 13.7 and then leans out to a little over 15:1. The engine responds with a sudden hesitation:
throttle_crack_tip_in_rich_lean_spike.png
throttle_crack_tip_in_rich_lean_spike.png (39.01 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
What do I need to look at? I've been playing around and not really getting anywhere

Is this an AE (acceleration enrichment) vs rpm table?
VE is still out?
Tip in Spark?
IAC throttle crack?

Quick Video clip of this engine dash log (0.25 speed): https://imgur.com/a/X7GDv9m
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Throttle crack / Tip-in Rich Lean Spike tuning help

Post by immortality »

Have you tried reducing the AE Decay factor a bit?
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

You can also look at manifold fuel. Looks like the Man fuel vs the AE are out slightly in opposite directions? The rich spike is more than likely manifold fuel being pulled in, and once that runs out the AE is all that doing the work.

I can't recall exactly, but Man fuel might have other factors linked to it including AE itself. I haven't touched that setting in years other than seeing what it did.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Deuce
cars: TUF355

Post by Deuce »

h4x0r wrote:Hi guys. I need help with a condition i believed is known as Throttle crack or Tip in. Basically when the car is cruising at low speed with a closed throttle and i press the accelerator pedal a little the engine will gasp/surge a bit.

I'm running 11p with a 424 on a 304 V8
Siemens 60lb injectors
Turbo and turbo cam

I have tuned the VE first by steadily cruising around and it seems bang on 14.7 most of the time. Now im playing around with Transient stuff like accelerator enrichment.

If you look at this log you can see i'm cruising and AFR is bang on 14.7 until I crack the throttle open a little and you can see the car spikes rich to 13.7 and then leans out to a little over 15:1. The engine responds with a sudden hesitation:
throttle_crack_tip_in_rich_lean_spike.png
What do I need to look at? I've been playing around and not really getting anywhere

Is this an AE (acceleration enrichment) vs rpm table?
VE is still out?
Tip in Spark?
IAC throttle crack?

Quick Video clip of this engine dash log (0.25 speed): https://imgur.com/a/X7GDv9m
Yeah I'm pretty sure I had similar until I edited the decay to remove the lean spot, and adjusted the AE to reduce the richness spike.