cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

VN-VR V6 power steering res return failures

Post by vlad01 »

Hi all,

Does anyone have a good solution to a replacement or relatively easy to fit alternative metal res for the VN-VR v6?

With the age of these cars now, it looks like the return fittings are breaking off them. I had one such res and pump in the shed that someone broke and repaired with a brass fitting, although this worked it also has hairline cracks around the tapping and weeps. (had to use it for now).

I assumed someone was just too rough on that one.

Today I had to replace the 3 week old gates water pump (shit itself) with a NOS Jap made GMB from a VN s1. The PS return hose got brittle again after a few years, tackled that and the res fitting just snapped off even with minimal force.

I realized this is a dangerous issue. Fluid straight onto the headers, fire! and loss of power steering.

Quick google and there was nothing. Even used res are expensive and NOS ones are drug money. This suggests this is being a common issue.

Would be nice if there was a drop in fabricated or billet option, but one can dream :lol:
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: VN-VR V6 power steering res return failures

Post by immortality »

If I'm not mistaken the 3800 V6 PS pump is identical to the later ecotec PS pump except the ecotec version has the nipple already on the pump to suit a remote reservoir.

IIRC I looked at this mod once and considered swapping out the thermofan for an ecotec style and use the ecotec PS reservoir but that would put the reservoir below the PS pump which would make bleeding the system initially a PITA as ideally it needs to be above the pump.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I thought the same thing. I have a VS fan in the shed with the res still on it.

I am thinking for more serious projects in the future I might get PWR to fabricate one or two, but not for the shitbox.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

If you can't get one call Rare Spares. They may have one in the pipeline. I'm waiting for a VR washer bottle that's in production now so hopefully it won't be too long.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I found some NOS ones for about 100 bucks each, everywhere else want 200+

Rares have been apparently working on those VR washer bottles for probably 8 years. They released fuel tanks and manual trims in that time which were a lower priority from what I heard becasue you can still get used and occasional NOS one. Those washer bottles have been long gone for years.

Even the VN-VS wiper covers are available.
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Maybe. I was talking to them 2 weeks ago and got the impression their in the making.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Hope so, I wouldn't mind a spare for my VR for when it perishes.

I got hints they are working on VP tail lights but for the love of god, they better not make them to factory specs!
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Why? I would have thought factory specs would be OK.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Factory ones are awful, leak out of the production line basically and the backing/mounting would fall apart. Even a nos one I had disintegrated in my hands after trying to install in on my car.

There were some cheap aftermarket ones years ago that addressed virtually all the issues the genuine ones had, but they stopped making them.
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

From what I have seen the OE ones are quiet thin and when they start to leak people just tighten the return hose as tight as they can crushing the plastic outlet. A good moove would be to press a thin wall metal sleeve into that pipe fitting but you need to get hold of a new or good one first. I recently gave one away to a neighbour and he ended up being a real arshole so being nice is not always best.