PCM Tuning with RomRaider using JDF/VDF Definitions

2JZ-E36
cars: 2JZ E36

PCM Tuning with RomRaider using JDF/VDF Definitions

Post by 2JZ-E36 »

Hi,
I joined this forum to learn more about tuning E38 PCMs. I am doing an LS3 swap into a Manta B in Germany. I was looking for a way to tune these ECUs without having to buy expensive equipment.

I dont have much experience with ECU reverse engineering itself, but i contributed quite a bit to the open source tool RomRaider. Since JetTuner does not support saving as binary I looked into the file format it uses (JDF/VDF). After I wrapped my head around it I wrote a conversion layer into RomRaider. This is not perfect and there are still areas of the format I havent understood yet, but a lot of tables work correctly.

RomRaider saves its definitions in an .xml format. After you load the JDF definition you can export it under the file tab as a RR XML to see the definition as text.
For testing I only had my E38 binary and the 53_01.jdf file with OBD2Form4.ttf (contains axis data), its likely not every other definition will work correctly. If it doesnt work for you I can take a look if you send me the definition and binary.

I also found antus E38-Checksum tool and ported it to RomRaider, which can now validate and fix E38 checksums aswell when saving. The checksum needs to inserted in the converted XML, since the conversion layer does not currently know how to detect an E38 definition.
RomRaider also has J-2534 compatibility which could also be extended for PCM logging in the future.

Known issues
- (Fixed) DTCs are currently missing
- (Fixed) Some tables have offsets after each row or column in the binary, this is currently not supported
- Some switches only change a few bits and not the entire byte, also not supported currently
- (Fixed) Scalar datatype might not always be correct

Edit: My code has been included in the latest 1.0.0 Romraider Release, you can download it on Romraider.com.

Cheers!
Last edited by 2JZ-E36 on Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:23 pm, edited 9 times in total.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: PCM Tuning with RomRaider using JDF/VDF Definitions

Post by antus »

Wow, nice work. Have you seen powerpcm flasher here? viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6666

Unfortunately it has been abandoned but you could take a look at it and maybe port its logic in to another tool. It works with some J2534 tools but not all.

I think jet will save bin if you hit ctrl + t and use test mode with save flash image. But it wont write them :( you still need to go through its editor to save in its native format.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
2JZ-E36

Post by 2JZ-E36 »

Thanks, yes I used PowerPCM Flasher with a china clone of SM2 Pro that somebody mentioned to be working. It costs 60€ on AliExpress and worked nicely. I used U-Link NT before that, but it was quite annoying having to solder wires to tiny pads every time to flash it :lol:
It would be nice to improve the PowerPCM tool and make an open source version where everybody can contribute.
darkman5001
cars: 2004 Suburban, 2001 Tahoe, 2002 Envoy, 2006 Envoy, 2003 Lincoln LS

Post by darkman5001 »

Very interesting. I have heard of Rom Raider but didn't know too much about it. I would love to see more open source free tools. What other type of PCMs will Rom Raider work with?
2JZ-E36

Post by 2JZ-E36 »

It will work on any PCM that you can find a definition for. It works the same way as TunerPro. It was initially made for Subaru ECUs, but was then made more generic.
Assuming I didnt make any mistakes you can tune every PCM that a JDF definition file exists for. It can also load XDFs from TunerPro by the way.

Edit: The first version I uploaded had a bug where the address of all switches and scalars were wrong. I also still had the E38 PCM table offset hardcoded (0xFC00). This should be fixed in the V2 download.
2JZ-E36

Post by 2JZ-E36 »

I uploaded a (hopefully) final version and also created a PR: https://github.com/RomRaider/RomRaider/pull/215

This should add DTCs and fix numerous bugs.
2JZ-E36

Post by 2JZ-E36 »

My PR has been merged. Has anybody else used this so far, maybe on other ECUs? Does it work as it should?
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Do you need to have a certain java installed... running the bat file it comes up with cannot find "javaw.exe"
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I have not needed it myself, but I don't think the word is out that anyone can buy VDF definitions for eg P08, P10, P12, P12b direct from Tunercat and use it with this to tune bins read and written by pcmhammer on the platforms that are not so well supported by universal patcher or are lacking xdfs for tunerpro yet.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
2JZ-E36

Post by 2JZ-E36 »

VX L67 Getrag wrote:Do you need to have a certain java installed... running the bat file it comes up with cannot find "javaw.exe"
Yeah my download needs a 32 Bit Java JRE. RR is quite old and normally only supports 32 Bit JREs. Official releases also come with an 64 Bit Version, but my change has not been included in a public release yet.
antus wrote:I have not needed it myself, but I don't think the word is out that anyone can buy VDF definitions for eg P08, P10, P12, P12b direct from Tunercat and use it with this to tune bins read and written by pcmhammer on the platforms that are not so well supported by universal patcher or are lacking xdfs for tunerpro yet.
Ah, I see. If any problems pop up let me know.