Knock sensor swap

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Knock sensor swap

Post by antus »

Thanks, I've PM'd you my email, if you can send it through I'll see if I can reproduce it and figure out whats going on.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
persingc
cars: 64 c10
63 impala

Post by persingc »

Well horse I've been slightly off on everything lately. I was thinking phoenix's was an 05, but it's actually an 04. I guess I'll go look at the 5.7 vans to see if anything is useful there.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply and get me straightened out.
budwizer

Post by budwizer »

From what I could dig up, I believe that a 2002 Chevy S10 - 4.3 v6 runs the Flat response style sensors.
The S10 I believe utilized the 0411 PCM.

What I do know is they run a different part number between the S10 flat response sensor and the later Ls2 style sensors with a different plug. However I am yet to ascertain if there is a physical difference in the circuitry or just because of the different plug. I'm hoping to hunt down an OEM of the S10 style sensor so I can make some measurements between the two.

Given that at least One vehicle with the 0411 PCM had a flat response style sensor, this leads me to think that the code in the PCM is functional?

So given the above I would think that the Flat response settings out of the S10 PCM Cal should be a good starting point.

Although I have yet to have a play with these on a bench setup, I do hold some hope that these will work. :think:
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

from previous discussions about earlier systems I believe knock detection is an audio thing, looking for a resonant frequency for the cylinder. therefore settings for 4.3L v6 are unlikely to be useful for a different engine. I stand to be corrected, but I think there is more to it than just the sensor type. Its likely to be engine specific too, based largely on the bore.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
V8fan
cars: Astro VAN

Post by V8fan »

Resonant type knock sensor works as camerton fork and it should be selected by resonance frequency (and frequency depends of volume of cyl)
Flat type -did u mean wideband bosch type ? black round with bolt in the center with 2 pins ? Its work as microphone and transfer all sounds that engine produce directly to PCM -and PCM decide what freq it will be listen
budwizer

Post by budwizer »

Hi Antus,
I suppose this could be the case, spose I will find out how well they work if I can get something out of them. Haha As I'm planning on testing them with a 1uz on a P59. hahaha

As v8fan says above about the PCM deciding what to listen to, there does appear to be a knock sensor frequency table and filtering table available in the P59-7603. This was where my logic of - this leads me to think that the code in the PCM is functional?

and the frequency can be calc'd as per the following: Knock frequency (kHz) = 900/(Pi * d * 0.5) where d = the bore in millimeters.
So in my case for the 1uz's 87.5mm pistons - 6.54Khz

v8fan - See image below.
This is a photo of a genuine sensor on an S10 v6 which as you say is a wideband type.
2002 Chevy S10 v6 knock sensor.jpg
2002 Chevy S10 v6 knock sensor.jpg (37.75 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
V8fan
cars: Astro VAN

Post by V8fan »

That type of sensors I saw at every European car
They have different part numbers - so they have some differences
What number does it have ?
https://racespeconline.com/products/mot ... ock-sensor
Attachments
p01 2001
p01 2001
persingc
63 impala

Post by persingc »

budwizer wrote:Hi Antus,
I suppose this could be the case, spose I will find out how well they work if I can get something out of them. Haha As I'm planning on testing them with a 1uz on a P59. hahaha

As v8fan says above about the PCM deciding what to listen to, there does appear to be a knock sensor frequency table and filtering table available in the P59-7603. This was where my logic of - this leads me to think that the code in the PCM is functional?

and the frequency can be calc'd as per the following: Knock frequency (kHz) = 900/(Pi * d * 0.5) where d = the bore in millimeters.
So in my case for the 1uz's 87.5mm pistons - 6.54Khz

v8fan - See image below.
This is a photo of a genuine sensor on an S10 v6 which as you say is a wideband type.
2002 Chevy S10 v6 knock sensor.jpg

I compared quite a few of the fields and the majority were the same or very close. I was hoping the 5.7 also used the same sensor but unfortunately it uses the ls1 type. Some tables are zero'd out for cylinder 7 and 8 on the 4.3 pcms. I'm certain the software is there, but like anything it's useless without good data in all the fields. I haven't had a chance to look at the LS2 data yet. Since they used different pcm the fields don't match up cleanly.
persingc
63 impala

Post by persingc »

I might have a look at some of the aftermarket ecus and see what options and data they require to function.
persingc
63 impala

Post by persingc »

Well after looking at a bunch of data I'm not willing to risk the engine I haven't built yet.... there is some LS2 data that I believe would come over cleanly, but certainly not enough with the differences in the different PCMs . I haven't had time to look at the aftermarket setups much. With those it seems like there is a lot more going on in the background that I don't have experience with. I mean if I paid for a tune and could be shown legit data that it is functioning I would definitely run it, but with my inexperience I'm just going to buy the M8 threaded sensors on the side and extend the harness or maybe even run them in stock location if I can make the ls3 top end clear.