PCM Hammer - CAN BUS Communications

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
bubba2533
cars: 03 Chevy S10 Turbo V6

Re: PCM Hammer - CAN BUS Communications

Post by bubba2533 »

I agree with antus and really like the idea of automating it to try both.

By the time you select which one you want to use it’ll already know and be moving on to the next step. That’s assuming you are using it on a known platform with a known OS.

As far as I’ve seen PCM Hammer is written centered around PCM’s and has no support for other types unless I’m missing something. Maybe there could be another push to add support for other types, but that would likely be a whole other project.

I think if it identifies an OSID that’s not known then prompt the user for the platform, which would allow someone to read an OS that hasn’t been added to PCM Hammer yet (or it would at least attempt). I think attempting a write when the platform isn’t known seems like a lot. Perhaps there are other safeguards in place that would ensure corruption is prevented that I’m not aware of.
LS1 Boost OS V3 Here. For feature suggestions post in here Development Thread. Support future development ->Patreon.
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

I don't know on the older vpw ecu's but canbus ecu's identify themselves with a 1a b0 request.. ECM's come back as 0x11.. As far as canbus this is a quick sure fire way to see if there is an ecm on pins 6&14... This might be a better way of checking now for future use with other ecm's and could even be changed slightly to work with TCM's on the canbus in the future as well.. I know you can poll for the OS and try to ID the OS from there but thinking this might be a quick way to simply look for the ecm and identify it later?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yeah there are a number of standards or what appear to be consistent we can use. Address for one VPW PCMs are all on ID 10, which is part of the specified range for PCMs. TCMs will have their standard, but for the most part they look the same, we'll just need kernels for them. It would not be as different a process as it sounds to start adding support for TCMs. It'd mainly be the work around building the kernel.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Vampyre
cars: grand am, trans am

Post by Vampyre »

ive got the ID lists for 99% of modules if its useful
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

I don't think we need it yet, but feel free to post it up here in a new thread or pm it to me if you prefer and i'll keep it on hand. If anyone is interested to help develop against any more PCM/TCM/BCMs, or take this CAN code to the next level, please join us.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Vampyre
cars: grand am, trans am

Post by Vampyre »

I've started trying to learn programming but man looks like I'm way behind everyone else, I just got hello world working whoo hoo.
If anyone wants to point me in a good direction of learning programming I would much appreciate it, what language and program is best for writing code?

I'll post all the info I've gotten put together once I get better organized.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

PCMHammer is C#, and I would recommend that for windows applications. I just went for a bit of a search to find a good tutorial to get started with and I landed on this one. My C# is not that strong, and I watched the first few sections. I think I'll go over it too and will also learn some things no doubt. It's quite detailed and appears to give you the big picture stuff you need while staying quick and on point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfkTfcpWqAY
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

antus wrote:PCMHammer is C#, and I would recommend that for windows applications. I just went for a bit of a search to find a good tutorial to get started with and I landed on this one. My C# is not that strong, and I watched the first few sections. I think I'll go over it too and will also learn some things no doubt. It's quite detailed and appears to give you the big picture stuff you need while staying quick and on point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfkTfcpWqAY
I bookmarked that one that antus posted but I found this one as well.. It's more in depth and has actual classwork, lol.. If you complete it you'll end up with an actual official foundational c# cert.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GQAE7iLOhY

I'm about halfway thru.. I did find that it's not something you can tackle 5 minutes at a time, at least I can't..

self teaching myself I kinda skipped a lot of the basics, I can write programs that work but when they don't it can be a nightmware not knowing some of the basics.. lol..
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Thanks for that. I think the basics are important, especially for pcmhammer because the top level looks a bit magic at first, with how the classes work together. PCMHammer is reasonable, but it could do with some tidy up of the classes and the main routines should have less of the logic in them, with the logic moved to other places. This is not my best skill which is why I havn't done it myself, and its also probably not a problem that's easily tackled by someone new to the language. But I think if we keep putting logic and exceptions in the main routines, instead of moving it out to the classes that will only make it harder, later on. I'd really love some help with this, if anyone is keen to take a look at this its probably worthy of its own thread instead of here. But back to the point, I think understanding the basics about classes and program structure helps you form the right questions. Once you can do that you can hit up google and stack overflow for as many specific answers as you need while you are doing something for real. The right questions are really where its at.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Yes, PCMHammer needs more object orientation, something I am no good at and is why I attached myself to PCMHammer back in 2018 was to work on a OO app under development by one that is good at OO, but unfortunately NSFW got it to his point of success and has faded off into the moonlight, what a shame! He is good at the OO side of things.

I often wonder if my intrusion of procedural C into his OO work plays a part of his disappearance ... I was hoping he would take my work and run with it in OO, unfortunately what it looks like it does is mess up his OO works.

Not to speak for Antus, but I believe Antus and I both suffer from the same issue, we are both procedural C coders and not so skilled in OO, at least that is my issue, I suck at OO.

To fork off into CAN, while remaining VPW compatible, heavy OO is what's needed, I've tried, I have multiple attempts of doing so, I have CAN parsing done multiple ways and not liking any of them.
Objectizing VCI comms is another issue ... Again I have several attempts that are unsatisfactory to me and tossed aside.

However, I'm staying out of it now, I am more or less done around here, I'll continue to clean up what's left of my VPW m68k Assembly Kernel Project until I am gone.

I do have a TODO for those that are caring for me on my Desktop, with instructions to carry out upon my death, one of those instructions is to send confirmation to the project so everyone knows of my demise and can carry on without me sooner than having to wait an unknown time and still not be sure, beside I'm sure antus is antsy to butcher up my work!

Unfortunately, at the moment, it is not possible for them to follow my TODO list for it was done using my previous desktop machine, and with my move into the house from my lab/shop I have had to rebuild new desktops to shrink my usage to fit my current location, from 8 machines down to 2 machines ... I'll post in my "Gampy's time" thread about that soon, I finally have the ability to get the hi res images off my iPhone ... I have been on XP as my main desktop until recently, that is why I have issues with so many things, I am now on W11, I like everything about W11 except the UI, it SUCKS AT BEST!
Why they had to kill the best UI is beyond me, I guess because it's not conducive to web page design and that appears it's where it's all headed, back to centralized processing, something that has already failed.
It is so damn hard to do the typical setup stuff ... All the trick fucks to get you to create Microsoft account versus a local account join the cloud and bing etc.., etc... the scumbags!
But damn does it run good, I suspect the new machines help though, and I'll explain them in my "Gampy's time" thread as well.

They went from 4gig RAM to 64gig RAM, I suspect that might help in the performance realm ...

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!