Hammer not reading ECU

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
kur4o

Re: Hammer not reading ECU

Post by kur4o »

You have communication issues with pcm. Investigate that first.

Test connection with universal patcher and see if you can datalog.
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

kur4o wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:55 am You have communication issues with pcm. Investigate that first.

Test connection with universal patcher and see if you can datalog.
Finally had a chance to look again. Have tested the bench harness and all ok. Have tested the datalogging as you suggested and seemed to connect ok. As soon as i try to read pcm it doesn't read it. Have got OBDX Pro GT adaptor. Downloaded and installed everything again but nothing fixed it. Have tried this on another pcm and same thing. The power light on the OBDx is on red. The OBD light is flashing green and the middle one is off. I have a benchtop 20 amp power supply set at 12.8 volts and pulling 410ma with pcm on. I have it wired as per attachment
offboard_harness1.png
offboard_harness1.png (283.62 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Are you using obdxpro native support? The J2534 option on it doesnt work properly with pcmhammer, the native option as a com port does.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

antus wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:09 pm Are you using obdxpro native support? The J2534 option on it doesnt work properly with pcmhammer, the native option as a com port does.
I have tried everything. I can only assume that their is something wrong with the pro GT as it just won't connect at all where i did have it connecting last time i had looked at it a few months ago. Will see if i can find another cable for it but everything else checks out. Don't know if uninstalling and reinstalling everything will achieve anything except wasting more of my time
kur4o

Post by kur4o »

It is possible gt is not supported with pcmhammer, try some older version of hammer.
You can also try running this script in universal patcher to confirm gt is good-> logger->
select device->connect->vpwconsole tab->check print to screen->upload script button->select attached file and wait till script stops running
Attachments
P01_read_1000_x4_v1_512kb.txt
(4.13 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

No its not possible GT is not supported. The OBD X Pro guys maintain the code in the app. The only gotcha is the need to use native support, not J2534. @Tazzi if you want to update the J2534 support in the tool or drivers so both modes work, please do.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

antus wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:38 am No its not possible GT is not supported. The OBD X Pro guys maintain the code in the app. The only gotcha is the need to use native support, not J2534. @Tazzi if you want to update the J2534 support in the tool or drivers so both modes work, please do.
I’ll look into it tomorrow :)
Technically the way masking being done in pcmhammer is outside the SAE spec but it doesn’t appear to affect any dealership software so I’ll add the fix.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
roughneck427
cars: 2002 Camaro
2008 Pontiac G8

Post by roughneck427 »

Tazzi wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:50 pm
antus wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:38 am No its not possible GT is not supported. The OBD X Pro guys maintain the code in the app. The only gotcha is the need to use native support, not J2534. @Tazzi if you want to update the J2534 support in the tool or drivers so both modes work, please do.
I’ll look into it tomorrow :)
Technically the way masking being done in pcmhammer is outside the SAE spec but it doesn’t appear to affect any dealership software so I’ll add the fix.
Why get into pcmhammer operating outta SAE but works. Just say yeah I’ll fix it….
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

I have tried both and using the serial i get the message " unable to connect to serial com 4"
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

I'd be happy to fix anything to be within spec. The whole J2534 part of the app was donated by Envyous, and there is a DLL blob we don't have source to. If the application interface needs to be changed on the C# side, we should look at it. Going outside of spec only creates more problems down the track. Best option, also the most work, would be to remove the dll blob completely and move to the J2534dotnet library, like Universal Patcher uses. UP uses a lot of code from hammer for device drivers in the logger, so it should be kinda similar. I am not sure exactly what that'd take, though. I did look at the code in UP 6 months ago and it was different enough in the comms layer that it'd take a decent session to think about the impact, not just cut n paste updated code back in. The code is in here https://github.com/joukoy/UniversalPatc ... er/Devices