VZ Clubsport E40 PCM & PIM linking

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
gm-services
cars: 1961 Morris minor ute with L67 & T5
1994 Camaro CHP patrol car LT1 4L60E
2001 Skaife / Richards VX Bathurst winner tribute - LS1 & T56

VZ Clubsport E40 PCM & PIM linking

Post by gm-services »

Hi there

Brad from Just Commodores in Napier , NZ here

I have VZ Clubsport 1150 in my workshop.

The problem is that the vehicle won't start and has 'immobiliser fail' coming up on INS

Fault codes are :

E40 PCM : P0513 Wrong transponder key
PIM : P1678 Immobilizer Powertrain Identification Failed

I have Tech2 and TIS2000 to relink these modules back together , when I perform the operation to link BCM/PCM/PIM
it says that they are already linked. I have tried resetting both the E40 PCM , and the PIM , then relearning them and the same thing happens.
Tech 2 reports that the relearning is complete , still no starter operation , 'immo fail' message , and the same 2 fault codes in the PCM and PIM respectively

This vehicle has the ESS system , I have obtained the factory procedure for this , but this doesn't seem to be the problem either.
When the key is turned to ign position , there is 1 beep , this indicated that the ESS has learned the BCM and key , and are happy with them both

I am now out of ideas on what to try next.

The PIM in the vehicle has been replaced before because it has a 2010 production date on it.

My ex dealer friend said these were a common fault back in those days , so this is not surprising.

The vehicle originally had this fault after it was manual converted years ago. I sent them to the dealer to get this sorted out.
This was never done.
Now the vehicle has been converted back to automatic , but the E40 pcm was lost.

I have supplied and fitted a secondhand unit to the vehicle and programmed it using HP tuners (it is a 6.6 stroker with LSA injectors now)

I tried a secondhand PIM from another car (a VZ alloytech , but reprogrammed all the options the same as the original PIM.

This also made no difference.

GM only have one replacement listing number for the LS2 and alloytech VZ ecu's , making me believe they are compatible.

The P59 LS1 seems to have a different PIM

Sorry for the long post but wanted to give you all the information that I have for this.

Of course I can get the car running by deleting the VATS using HP tuners , but the vehicle still won't crank.

If I move hardwire the GND for the start relay to a bolt , the engine will start and run , but it will start in gear as well , which is a WOF fail.

Cheers
Brad Roberts
Just Commodores Limited
1033 Links Road
Waiohiki RD3
NAPIER
NZ
Gareth

Re: VZ Clubsport E40 PCM & PIM linking

Post by Gareth »

Faulty ESS?
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
gm-services

Post by gm-services »

The information I have obtained from Holden about the ESS system is that it only pertains to BCM and keys

When a correct key is inserted and the ignition is turned on , The ESS should beep once.

It does this. When I put a new unprogrammed keyhead onto the blade and turn the ign on , it beeps 5 times.

This means that the ESS doesn't recognize the BCM and key combination , so this is exactly how it it supposed to work.

The issue is not with keys or BCM , only that the PIM and PCM do not agree that they are paired together , despite TIS programming saying that they are both learned.

Once I have reset a module , I can learn it back in again , once it has been relearned , if I try to perform the Linking procedure it fails , telling me that the PCM and PIM are learn't in.

But the PIM and PCM are not accepting that they are programmed together

hence the ECM P0513 , and PIM P1678 codes , showing the 2 modules are not paired together

Brad
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Sure, understand all of that, the ESS prevents module programming via blocking the commands on the bus.

If the ESS is blocking the commands, you'll never get them to talk.

Try linking the modules outside the car...
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

oh, and any chance you'll share your source for this?
The information I have obtained from Holden about the ESS system is that it only pertains to BCM and keys
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

gm-services wrote:The information I have obtained from Holden about the ESS system is that it only pertains to BCM and keys

When a correct key is inserted and the ignition is turned on , The ESS should beep once.

It does this. When I put a new unprogrammed keyhead onto the blade and turn the ign on , it beeps 5 times.

This means that the ESS doesn't recognize the BCM and key combination , so this is exactly how it it supposed to work.

The issue is not with keys or BCM , only that the PIM and PCM do not agree that they are paired together , despite TIS programming saying that they are both learned.

Once I have reset a module , I can learn it back in again , once it has been relearned , if I try to perform the Linking procedure it fails , telling me that the PCM and PIM are learn't in.

But the PIM and PCM are not accepting that they are programmed together

hence the ECM P0513 , and PIM P1678 codes , showing the 2 modules are not paired together

Brad
E40's are known for having memory corrupt. I replace a unit every 1-2weeks now.
Once an E40's memory begins to fail, its not something that can be fixed since it will corrupt it self again leaving it in the same situation.
If attempting to reset and relink the E40 does not work, I would guess its corrupted memory meaning the ecu memory is on its way out.

The ESS module will affect the ALDL communication line which has things like the cluster, BCM, ECC ect.
When the ESS is unhappy, it will cut the ALDL line comms off hence prevents the BCM speaking to the PIM to pass on valid key arguments.

If you need a replacement unit, let me know :thumbup:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
gm-services

Post by gm-services »

Thanks Tazzi

The thing is , it had this problem a few years ago when the owner did a manual conversion.

I changed the harness over to suit the manual gearbox , and it had this problem back then.

I was unable to sort it , so told him to go to the local Holden dealer , but he never did it.

Since then he refitted the 4L65 back into it , along with a stroked LS2

He somehow lost the original E40 ecu , so I supplied a second hand one out of a low mileage wreck (about 100,000 k's)

It still has the exact same fault , so I just want to be sure before I go replacing parts , as it's had this problem with both E40 ecus

But , if this is a common problem with the E40's , then maybe both ecu's are faulty

I'll be guided by your experience as I haven't had a heap to do with E40's (what with them being such a short production run 04 05 and I believe 06 trailblazers

What's another E40 worth ?

Brad
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

gm-services wrote: It still has the exact same fault , so I just want to be sure before I go replacing parts , as it's had this problem with both E40 ecus
Following this up a bit, reading through your previous post, so both the E40 and PIM have been replaced?

Before going any further, try doing the following:
1) Reset PIM
2) Reset ECU
3) In tech2, select PIM and ECU reset. This will give you the option to select any immo code you would like to put into it.

The above should then link the BCM/PIM together and then link the immo code between ECU and PIM.

Having two identical E40s doing the same thing is not normal, unless you are just extremely unlucky :? :wtf:

Finally, for auto to manual conversions, this does require custom programming to the ECU/PIM/Cluster ect. Was this done? Or everything just left as auto?
Was the wiring loom changed from auto to manual also? This would affect how the CAN communciation works too.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726