Frigidaire mini fridge

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Gampy

Frigidaire mini fridge

Post by Gampy »

Hi all,

Got me one of them Frigidaire mini fridge's here in my new digs, the issue is it don't keep shit cold enough, any ideas on how it might be tweeked to make it colder??
Otherwise, it's pretty dang cool keeping a 6-pack bedside for those that just have to have an early one to rise, or to keep the chill on the WIP!

I mean, nothing like an ice-cold beer and a couple milliliters of Herion for breakfast!
Starts the day off right, everyone should try it at least once ... :roll:

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Frigidaire mini fridge

Post by antus »

I did a quick bit of research and I think I see the type of fridge you have. Then I searched again for what can be hacked on it. I found this post on hack-a-day. https://hackaday.com/2023/02/18/diy-min ... e-in-foam/

This one uses a peltier instead of a compressor, and the description says they added a fan to move more heat out of it. Maybe you could check if yours is a peltier and if so, if you can put a small fan across it to improve its efficiency. Or maybe if there is a thermostat, hard wire it instead! But you wouldn't want to explode any cans if it worked really well. But.. if that happened, then you'd know you can do some kind hack to the thermostat part to increase its settable temperature range.

Edit: Here is a homebrew peltier freezer. Might be able to learn how to get more out of the module with this. It looks like its a PWM controller, maybe you can replace the controller board. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIfby3RpkUI
And this guy mods something similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiRpi1TysgU

Edit2: From that second one it looks like it might have a thermostat/controller board in there. If thats it, then it looks like you can replace it with something like https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/374439196558 but also plenty of other cheap options from your part of the world. Obviously you'd need to figure out if the insulation/heat sinking/power supply is capable or one of those is the actual limiting factor.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I'll have a read of that info, and see if I can finger it out, I did pull it apart and have some pics but I cannot get them off my damn applhole phone, of course I won't install 10,000 lbs software like iTunes to do it... It's such a simple thing it needs no more than a driver, but them Applholes just got to make it complicated.

My old Android, just requires a USB port, nothing else!

It does not have a compressor that is for sure, so I would have to suspect it is the other (peltier) ... All above my head!

Thank you for the look see, I do appreciate it and I'll keep ya posted, but they have finally succeeded in getting me to slow down, it's only taking 60mg of Morphine every 3 hours, but it's doing what nothing else has been able to do (Sounds like Star Trek, "Where no man has gone before") ... Thats lethal amounts!
But it has totally destroyed my ability to do anything ... For example, it has taken me 33 minutes so far to write this ... I'm starting to get a bad attitude because of the Morphine, I've tried really hard to stay upbeat for my fam, it's getting tough.

Sorry for the Whine with the cheese!

Thank you Antus, appreciate it.

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

That's odd. All my apple phones including my 4-5 month old new one is just a USB cable and opens up like a USB drive.

I had morphine once when I was 11 for appendicitis which required immediate surgery. That shit knocked me out good! I was asleep (body) but my mind was still awake and aware and could hear everything and everyone's conversations but I was out like a log. Kinda of weird state to be in.

Peltier is a solid state semi conductor heat transfer device. It uses some quantum mechanics magic to move heat from one side to another, basically a solid state heat pump. They are terribly inefficiency and require a ton of power to run, this power is waste heat on the hot side so you need to cool the hot side as much as possible to get a decently low temp on the cold side. Once they overheat they loose their ability to cool until you get that hot side cold enough again.

As Antus suggested, a fan on the heatsink should help a lot.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Morphine is an interesting drug but doesn't always work and as any drug, you work up a tolerance to it.

When my son had his accident (went through a plate glass window and cut his ankle very badly) they kept giving him morphine for the pain but it had little to no effect. At some point someone wanted to have a look at the wound (before surgery) and unwrapped all the towels and what ever had been wrapped around the wound to try and stop the bleeding/absorb the blood but wasn't working (they were weighing the towels to work out how much blood was soaked in them). When they unwrapped the ankle and relieved the pressure the pain finally subsided and the morphine hit, his eyes literally rolled into the back of his head and he was out.

These days they use fentanyl and Ketamine and some other stuff for pain relief (both my boys are now paramedics) as morphine is so addictive. The boys refer to it as the "K hole".

Gampy, appreciate your candor.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

All opioids are addictive, some more than others. But addiction may be an emergent properly of dependency for some drugs, different side of the same coin. Dependency happens due to adaptation in the CNS.

Fentanyl is extremely dangerous due to it's ludicrously high affinity, aka it's potency. It only takes in the high micro gram range to OD someone and kill them. Literally a few tiny dust particles if you lick it on your finger will likely kill you without medical intervention.

Fentanyl is the current and one of the worst opioid abuse epidemics going on, particularly in the US.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

The medical grade stuff is a bit different to the shit that gets dealt on the street where you really don't know what you get or how it's cut. It's a major problem in the UK too, fortunately it's not hit the streets here like in the US.

The drug of choice still seems to be P here in NZ. Mr23 had another one today.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I mean the pure compound itself. In medical use the dosage is very carefully controlled but either way that stuff is very potent!

I don't really know what the main street drug is here in Aus, I assume amphetamines? I hear a lot about meth fueled violent crimes in recent years. There has a been a massive spike in violence and murders in the last 2-3 weeks in Melbourne. Nothing I have seen before. Scary stuff!