New PCM, is it dead?

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Gampy

Re: New PCM, is it dead?

Post by Gampy »

ProfessWRX wrote:Alright, got the new PCM, the bench harness and the power supply is only 12.12V so I've got my spare battery charging while I cut up this harness to ground the pin and wire in the switch. Should be attempting some reads here in a bit.
What do you mean ground the pin ??

All you want to do is wire in a switch and ensure the grounds are tied together and hooked up like the schematic I posted ... There is nothing special to be done with the ground other then to ensure it is using Pin 60 on the PCM and not some other Pin.

The ground should be connected to pin 4 & 5 of the DLC connector, to the negative side of the 12v power supply, and to Pin 60 on the PCM.

Just like the Schematic I posted a page or two back!

That voltage is sufficient, if it's a clean power source ... PLEASE start PcmHammer fresh, do a Read Properties, then do a Read Entire PCM, save the file and logs for safe keeping!
If all read attempts succeed on first try and only if all read attempts succeed on first try should you attempt a WRITE! of course after a Test Write.

The problem is likely that, that power supply does not provide CLEAN POWER, then you'll need to use your battery for the power supply.

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
ProfessWRX
cars: 04 Monte SSSC
04 Tahoe
92 Trans Am

Post by ProfessWRX »

Gampy wrote:
ProfessWRX wrote:Alright, got the new PCM, the bench harness and the power supply is only 12.12V so I've got my spare battery charging while I cut up this harness to ground the pin and wire in the switch. Should be attempting some reads here in a bit.
What do you mean ground the pin ??

All you want to do is wire in a switch and ensure the grounds are tied together and hooked up like the schematic I posted ... There is nothing special to be done with the ground other then to ensure it is using Pin 60 on the PCM and not some other Pin.

The ground should be connected to pin 4 & 5 of the DLC connector, to the negative side of the 12v power supply, and to Pin 60 on the PCM.

Just like the Schematic I posted a page or two back!

That voltage is sufficient, if it's a clean power source ... PLEASE start PcmHammer fresh, do a Read Properties, then do a Read Entire PCM, save the file and logs for safe keeping!
If all read attempts succeed on first try and only if all read attempts succeed on first try should you attempt a WRITE! of course after a Test Write.

The problem is likely that, that power supply does not provide CLEAN POWER, then you'll need to use your battery for the power supply.

-Enjoy
Don't worry, I'm using the schematic. I was talking about grounding Pin 60. Also, wiring in a switch. I took it all apart to check everything with a multimeter. What's a proper fuse amperage for the circuit?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

If you mean PCM power, i'd go for 2 amp. The PCM shouldnt use more than about 0.7 during a write and is probably powering your interface too. 1 amp might be fine, 2 amp gives enough protection with a little headroom for whatever you plug in to the OBD port.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
ProfessWRX
04 Tahoe
92 Trans Am

Post by ProfessWRX »

I only had a 5 amp so I had to go with that.

During this read there were SEVERAL:
[02:55:13:769] Timeout.. no data present A
[02:55:13:769] No payload following read request.

Let me know if you for some reason want to see the bin.
Attachments
New Text Document (2).txt
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 33 times
ProfessWRX
04 Tahoe
92 Trans Am

Post by ProfessWRX »

Voltage reads low in the log, but that was before the "ignition" was turned on. I'll find out what the software says the voltage is at.

Edit: 12.62V
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

[02:59:00:092] Read-request messages had to be re-sent 22 times.

Don't like it! I would venture to guess it's a power supply issue.

I don't accept a single one, and I don't get any ever!

But I'm not using an OBDx VCI or that Power Supply.

-Enjoy

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
ProfessWRX
04 Tahoe
92 Trans Am

Post by ProfessWRX »

So what then, switch to battery from power supply and retry?
ProfessWRX
04 Tahoe
92 Trans Am

Post by ProfessWRX »

I don’t think I ever saw those before and if I did it was when it never came back to responding.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I would not write with that many ...

Yea, try another read, this time with a battery, eliminate the current power supply.

-Enjoy

ProfessWRX
04 Tahoe
92 Trans Am

Post by ProfessWRX »

I tried another with the same setup. Similar outcome.

Then I tried the one attached with the battery power. Same outcome.

I'm going out to the car to read one in the car. If it reads normal again I have 2 variables:
1. Crap harness
2. Crap PCM

If it has similar issues in car, then variable 3 is the OBDX.

And that also shows variables 1 and 2 aren't the likely issue and that leaves the OBDX alone as the variable.
Attachments
New Text Document (2).txt
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 33 times