2000 Sonoma BCM Configuration

garrinchilders
cars: 2000 GMC Sonoma RCSB

2000 Sonoma BCM Configuration

Post by garrinchilders »

Hey guys. I am attempting to retrofit the factory fog lamps to my 2000 Sonoma. I have already added the required wiring from the fuse block through the forward lighting harness & installed the interior switch. I can command the fog lamp relay on which illuminates the fog lamps (with Tech2Win) . I can also see interior switch input on Tech2Win. I need to reconfigure my BCM to contain the lighting file that contains the fog lamp option SW# 16001082 part# 9385373.

I may be able to do this with SPS2 through the ACDelco portal, but since the release of Techline Connect they have limited the ability to reprogram existing modules without having an available update. If this WOULD work, it would obviously be the easiest option. I just don't think it will and I don't want to wastefully spend the money to license the VIN through AC Delco if it won't let me overwrite the config.

I would need a method to dump the BCM, convert the data to something I can interpret, a way to obtain the CVN file (9385373) from GM (or somewhere), and way to recompile and write the software back on the BCM.

I read through all the BCM info i could find here and on MHH that 04Coly & Ironduke and others were battling through, but that system is a generation newer than what I am working on and I am not sure if any of it translates.

I appreciate any input.

-Garrin
Automotive Restoration Technician
12v Enthusiast - Retrofitter/Upfitter

MHHAuto ID: garrinchilders

Genuine GM MDI 1 | Drew Tech Mongoose GM3 BT | ELM327 Clone with CAN toggle for FORscan | HP Tuners MPVI2+
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: 2000 Sonoma BCM Configuration

Post by Tazzi »

SPS2 (techline) does not give you the option to select options or calibrations, it will simply put the latest calibrations to suit your vehicle into it.

Personally I use my own software to custom flash BCMs to do various edits. This is something I am working on at this moment to have a public software that will allow people to do edits.

I haven’t dealt with your specific bcm generation since it s abit older, but it’s all basically the same in terms of flashing and edits.

The longest part is testing changes or reverse engineering OS to find options. The flashing part is actually the easy part.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

I will say I just checked tis2000 on my vm and I picked a 2000 sonoma vin out of google search and when programming the bcm it had options for foglamps yes or no as a selection during programming.. Might be easier than I expected.
garrinchilders

Post by garrinchilders »

I know if I had legit access to pre-2021 GM SPS/TIS I could 'Set up as a new module" and just input the configuration like it was a virgin module. TechLine Connect has since changed that functionality (supposedly).
I have the OPEL globalTIS but I never have been able to get it to launch any of the Java systems from the browser. It may not even work anymore after Techline Connect came along (haven't read up on that much)
Is there a completely self-contained offline version of TIS with a server repository off all the calibrations somewhere?

I have the GM Development Programming System, but I am unsure if it supports such an old system/protocol - which brings up another question I have, What exactly is this systems protocol? I have heard several call designations for the systems used in this era of GM vehicle, Class2, UART, GMLAN, ? If I could make Techline Connect think that the installed BCM is a virgin module I should be able to program it as new and set up the configs (i.e. lighting/ chime/ hvac rpo codes/ etc.)

Genuine GM MDI 1 | Drew Tech Mongoose GM3 BT | ELM327 Clone with CAN toggle for FORscan | HP Tuners MPVI2+
Gatecrasher

Post by Gatecrasher »

Just track down an old copy of TIS2000. You can install it on a Windows XP virtual machine and then program your BCM as often as you like.

I pulled out the service info for your truck and the BCM pinout specifies Class2 for diagnostics. That's J1850 VPW, 10,400 bps.

UART is specified on pin 9 of the diagnostic connector, but there's a note saying it's only used for something called a Vehicle Interface Unit on the Envoy.
garrinchilders

Post by garrinchilders »

Gatecrasher wrote:Just track down an old copy of TIS2000. You can install it on a Windows XP virtual machine and then program your BCM as often as you like.

Done, I will check this out tonight. :thumbup:

Gatecrasher wrote:I pulled out the service info for your truck and the BCM pinout specifies Class2 for diagnostics. That's J1850 VPW, 10,400 bps.
Thank you for the clarification on that! Someone needs to write a detailed book on this type of thing, as We aren't alone in this quest - When I was searching for info I ran across an abundance of people interested or inquiring about BCM configs and protocol logging for raw tuning. I wish I would have kept at this a lot harder when I was younger and when this was considered new technology so I could have progressed along with it.
Gatecrasher wrote:UART is specified on pin 9 of the diagnostic connector, but there's a note saying it's only used for something called a Vehicle Interface Unit on the Envoy.
I am glad you threw this piece of info in as well. My parts donor vehicle is in fact one of those obscure 2 year model only Envoys that has that VIU mentioned.

Thank you for your help.

-Garrin

garrinchilders

Post by garrinchilders »

Tazzi wrote:Personally I use my own software to custom flash BCMs to do various edits. This is something I am working on at this moment to have a public software that will allow people to do edits.
I am at NO WHERE near your skill level, but this type of thing piques my interest. If I can help in anyway, Just ask.

ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

Just a quick heads up.. For talking to the ECM and the rest of the truck you need pin2 class 2/vpw communication..

Pin 9 was an oddball thing for Onstar, kinda before there was onstar, lol.. Not every vehicle had it and some were even installed at the dealer, what a pita..
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Gatecrasher wrote:Just track down an old copy of TIS2000. You can install it on a Windows XP virtual machine and then program your BCM as often as you like.

I pulled out the service info for your truck and the BCM pinout specifies Class2 for diagnostics. That's J1850 VPW, 10,400 bps.

UART is specified on pin 9 of the diagnostic connector, but there's a note saying it's only used for something called a Vehicle Interface Unit on the Envoy.
Wow ok thats interesting! So tis2000 had some interesting goodies there!

Whats the latest year that tis2000 covered to? Just out of curiosity.

I know for our holdens... it was in the very early 2000's.. like... 2003-4?? I think?
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726