Current Status on E38, E67, etc.. Hacking Toys

Disassembly, Reassembly, Tools and devleopment. Going deep with Hardware and Software.
Meistro
cars: many

Current Status on E38, E67, etc.. Hacking Toys

Post by Meistro »

I see that the gen 3 has been covered in every direction and that's awesome!! PCM Hammer is really incredible.

I can't seem to find much about the gen 4 ECU's. I recently acquired an E67, the trans module, and body control module from a 07 gmc.

I made a bench harness and I was able to read and save a file with HPtuners. However, I don't like giving them any more money. I transitioned to PCM Hammer and TunerPro with P59 and I'm very satisfied. Is there a definitive thread around here somewhere with these projects? I'm motivated and willing to participate. I have time. Tell me what you need to help move this along.

I can get more hardware to play with. I also have eeprom burning experience from fixing older arcade games and pinball machines. I have also converted some of my 90's VR6 ECU with a socket because they were lame like that. I'm not going to list everything I can do but you get the point, I volunteer!! :driving:

Meistro
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Re: Current Status on E38, E67, etc.. Hacking Toys

Post by ironduke »

If you look here you'll see some conversations about the E38 and e67 ecm's. PowerPCM can perform full reads and calibration writes on both. That will get you started and universalpatcher has some tables and dtc's to get you started..
Meistro

Post by Meistro »

I tried PowerPCM Flasher 0006 to try a read on my E67 but it doesn't seem to connect to my OBDXProVX. I tried the J2534 PassThru and ELM and when I press init, I recieve "NOT ok: init: 32". Is there a description for what 32 means?

One of my tasks I want to achive is to force a vin to the E67 from a P59, 2004 Silverado. I have a gen 4 engine in my gen 3 Silverado.
hjtrbo
cars: VF2 R8 LSA
FG XR6T
HJ Ute w/RB25DET

Post by hjtrbo »

Did you add the dll path to the settings drop down? I haven't had any luck with this tool with vcxnano. Have yet to try it with my recently acquired MDI where I am hopeful that will work.
Meistro

Post by Meistro »

Yes I added the dll. I tried the dll's from the obdxpro website and tried those. I tried the ones from the GM MDI install files too and those didn't work. I was thinking about getting an Arduino canbus shield. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13262
Has anyone tried one of these to connect to ecm?
hjtrbo
FG XR6T
HJ Ute w/RB25DET

Post by hjtrbo »

That's quite a task. You'll also need an Arduino or other MCU with code to create a J2534 compliant pass through tool. There might be sample code around if you dig around on the net. It still likely won't work with PowerPCM

My suggestion is to look for a decent MDI clone and / or reach out to the OBD Pro VX dev (tazzi) to see if you can obtain flash software.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Meistro wrote:I tried PowerPCM Flasher 0006 to try a read on my E67 but it doesn't seem to connect to my OBDXProVX. I tried the J2534 PassThru and ELM and when I press init, I recieve "NOT ok: init: 32". Is there a description for what 32 means?

One of my tasks I want to achive is to force a vin to the E67 from a P59, 2004 Silverado. I have a gen 4 engine in my gen 3 Silverado.
The OBDX Pro VX J2534 installer is not up on the OBDX Pro website at this moment as I add a new update and compile it all into the OBDX Pro 'all in one' installer.

Should be up again sometime next week.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Meistro

Post by Meistro »

Wow it's nice to have the tools creators around the forums. I'll look forward to the update. In the mean time I got distracted by the Arduino Due I found in my stash. It has can control. There's a project that seems like a good start for sniffing around the bus.. https://discourse.agopengps.com/t/sniff ... no-due/661

I have everything I need to brick ECU 's lol. End result, change vin on E67 to my 04 Silverado vin.
Meistro

Post by Meistro »

The more I look into this the more I'm learning towards a standalone Arduino solution. It would be pretty cool to have a little box that can be hard coded to perform functions based on simple LCD menu and buttons. No DLL required. I already found some libraries regarding can bus for vehicles. Seems like I'm gearing up a winter project. Should be able to make a device that reads ECU at push of button and write them to micro SD. Could even have built in functions to read entire memory, enter desired vin and write back. One long Arduino file.
hjtrbo
FG XR6T
HJ Ute w/RB25DET

Post by hjtrbo »

If you can add Ford / GM specific PID polling for parameters that logged to SD card as well you would have a nice marketable package.
Last edited by hjtrbo on Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.