Does o2 sensor have any correlation to transmission control

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
someguy360

Does o2 sensor have any correlation to transmission control

Post by someguy360 »

Hi All,

Very weird question but I'm hoping one of the gurus might know the answer.

On a 424' Delco does the O2 sensor have any relation/shared citcuits with the transmission solenoids etc.

I upgraded to a new set of headers a few weeks back, and due to some different locations of O2 bungs I haven't had a chance to do a bung for my wideband and my narrowband. As I run purely open loop in my tune, I left the factory o2 disconnected for now as theoretically I don't need any data from it and just ran the wideband.

I've been for a few drives and all seems to be working as normal, however I've noticed that if I park the car, turn it off and start it again the trans gets stuck in 1st and won't shift. If I pull over, disconnect the battery and reconnect it. The trans will shift fine again until I turn the engine off and try to drive it again (and repeat and repeat).

No trans related codes are being logged.

This may be co-incidental as I had changed a few other things in the car while it was off the road (conversion of variatronic steering rack to a standard VR/S rack and an astra pump) however that's the only thing I could think of that might be causing it is an O2 related issue, but it seems odd that the o2 would cause the trans not to shift intermittently.

I know I can put the O2 back in and test, but I'm lazy and don't want to get off the ground and change the O2 sensors from wideband to narrowband etc for no reason.

Any thoughts would be great, if it does share some sort of data/circuit etc then I'm more than happy to whack another bung in the exhaust for the narrowband to fix the issue but I was aiming to hold off until my xmas holidays if it wasn't urgent.

Cheers
Deuce
cars: TUF355

Re: Does o2 sensor have any correlation to transmission cont

Post by Deuce »

I would be double checking the condition of your battery terminal clamps to be sure they are not introducing issues.

Probably not transmission related. But makes me suspicious with the on/off fix you describe.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Does o2 sensor have any correlation to transmission cont

Post by immortality »

What fault codes are you getting?

Maybe try disabling the O2 fault codes. Maybe it's going into some sort of limp mode?