cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Alternative/universal heater taps?

Post by vlad01 »

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a good quality vac operated heater tap that easily adapts to the VN-VR? A universal type or perhaps a genuine OEM one from another make?

It's become apparent that the ones for VN-VR, weather MacKay, Gates, Dayco or whatever, all have their quality fall off a cliff since covid, or at least since I last bought one.

They all either jam up, allow coolant to pass in the closed position, and the issue that is really driving me spare is air leaks into the system (less of an issue is the coolant leaks but they eventually start after the air leak is well set in)

Typically I only get a few days or weeks before these problems crop up and I have tried all of these brands with the same results, and I can confirm that they appear to be different suppliers at least for the visible parts of it.

Some specs:

Vac actuated.
Normally open.
5/8" I/O

I found this one, it says BA/BF falcon but it's in NZ. When I google BA or BF ones on google, I get like random heater tap pics of all kinds, so I can't confirm if this is what they look like.

Either way, if this is OEM it might be long lasting. The all plastic construction suggests the end cap is welded on, not crimped. This crimped join is where I suspect the air leak occurs, it was the point that coolant was weeping on the last one.

https://silverdaleradiators.co.nz/produ ... f184&_ss=r
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Alternative/universal heater taps?

Post by vlad01 »

RHV2005 is the repro part number if anyone needs it. And the same part I believe as the Tru Flow brand is TFT2005. Appears they are all of this same tap but under re-brand. MacKay, Gates etc.. All have this plastic one.

Those guys in the link from NZ were quite helpful in working out what's what.

https://www.repco.com.au/parts-service/ ... p/A9419096

I'll get one next time I am at a Repco, if not order one online and I'll report back how it goes.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

I used this on my Valiant factory air con and it works fine
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/gat ... 15457.html
says it suits V8 commodore
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

That's the one I am having problems with. Never had any issues over the years until the last year or so, they are all falling over in short order.

The quality of them has tanked in my opinion.

I manged to fine some HV2005 ones on ebay for 17 bucks each, so they are on the way. I'll update this when they arrive and are fitted.
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

Hope mine hangs in there, good luck
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

If you got yours a good while ok, it should be fine.

I hope these ones I ordered solve the issue.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I updated my main thread with the new taps, but also figured I'll update this one the same since that is the subject.

Heater works as intended again, fits same as the stock one, just little longer on the barbs which was no issue at all.

Interestingly, the arm only moves 1/3 of the available arc to fully close off, the old one was the full arc and it still leaked coolant past.

The plastic seems a lot more durable like an irrigation type of plastic with the addition of typical automotive glass reinforcement mixed in, and not brittle like the original type which was a bit more like Bakelite.

I'll update in due time, either good or bad.

image_67161345.JPG