Charge temp spark adv subtration.

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Charge temp spark adv subtration.

Post by vlad01 »

Haha, good luck to that in Victoria. If you have any more than 4-5m following distance, they cut you off straight away. I've been forced off the road many times and many near crashes due to these aholes and it's almost a daily occurrence , the cutting off def is. It's actually safer to drive really close than give any sort of room due to that.

There literally are no braking distances in Melbourne, so the condition is unavoidable, plus with trucks being probably 40% of the traffic by physical space, air flow is pretty stagnant at best.

On the regional highways this isn't an issue or any country road where I live, but people still try cut you off if you are the only car around for Kms :lol: :rant:

Fun fact, worst offenders, in order from worst to less worse, Honda, Toyota, Mazda. Honda drivers are down right psychopaths, closely followed by camry and hilux/hiace drivers. Mazda are just aggressive and annoying but I have not have one deliberately try to crash me or force me off the road, they just sit up your ass.

All other drivers of other makes are anywhere from good to just rude but mainly the later.

Sorry for the side rant but that is the reason why these driving conditions exist, the traffic in Melbourne is just F'd up almost all of the time.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

krusty wrote:Not past MBT for that given scenario of load by any chance?
Nope, all my engine are tuned spot on for the spark as I did them on the dyno myself. But they were tuned on 98 mostly. But like I said, even on 91 or the better E10, I never have knock in any other condition but for the 2 places in Melbourne without fail in my travels. And if I can counter this successfully using that table for the worst possible scenario which this is, both conditions and setup on the car, I have the means to safely tune to get the most of any engine current and going forward.

My experience is the larger the cam the more this knock limiting is raised to the point it doesn't surface. I also run a straight pod, but so far 99% of the condition, my MAT temps rarely exceed 40 odd.

Some things I have tried, increasing the WOT AFRs, did absolutely nothing and when I bought my red car, it had a mystery memcal in it, but it was so rich it poured black smoke and sooted up the rear bumper, yet it knocked like a MF in the same spots in Melbourne but worse, and also when the engine was still cold but the weather was hot. So it's timing was probably way too high, it also still rang the cast iron logs which lowers the knock limit a lot too and MBT tanks as well.

I also run an 82 stat now, mainly for easier warm up counter intuative. This lowered the threshold for this knock somewhat but was no magic bullet by any means, and with yesterdays testing, the coolant temps got over 100 and I never got it to knock, so it's far less of a factor.

This tells me, AFR and coolant temp has less influence in these engines as oppose to timing, but the main factor seems to be air intake temps more than anything for a given fuel.

Fuel octane is the other big factor. I ran that same engine on the red car on E85 for a week and cranked the WOT timing to 40 deg to find the knock limit, I never did and going any higher was probably going to break something with the sheer pressure opposing the piston on it's way to TDC.

I also ran the new engine for the red car with high comp and bigger cam on 98 accidentality with 10 or so too many degrees timing and it never had an issue. The MBT came in at peak at WOT of 20 deg.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Auckland is the same, leave a reasonable following distance and someone will fill the gap. Worst drivers here are people in double cab utes, mostly Rangers with big wheels and all the other fruit Remuera tractors (pavement queens) need. But on a windy road when there is no overtaking opportunities falling back a bit helps. I do the same on the open road, when an overtaking lane is coming up I'll drop back a bit and as we come up to the overtaking lane I'm already accelerating so I'm up to speed as the 2nd lane opens up for overtaking.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yeah the cab drivers are pushy too, but they are just in a hurry most of the time. The others I mentioned aren't in a hurry, they just have problems and seem to target people with different, modified or older cars.

When I drive my partner around in my shitbox, she can't believe what other drivers do to me. But she cops it too in other ways as she has an i30 and drives like 120 everywhere and people seem to get offended when they get overtaken by what they think is an old lady car. It happened to me too when I drove her car, people would flash me when I was just cruising past on the right lane minding my own business. We both drive pretty quick compared to most people haha, but also most people don't know their cars are 10-15k slower than their speedo since phones don't show speed in the maps and they took all the speed checks down here in Vic, I don't know any that are functional any more. Dedicated GPSs are a thing of the past and where the only thing besides a dedicated app that showed true speed.

People when driving are weird!