AFR keeps changing

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Spookydriftr
cars: 2003 vy Commodore s l67

AFR keeps changing

Post by Spookydriftr »

Hey guys my car is tuned with Kalmaker from a reputable tuner. The afr is changing by its self. I have recently had my auto rebuilt and I am having problems with it throwing code 73 and I have seen with my own eyes new solenoids go into the Auto. My afr seems to change by its self as a month ago I had my car tuned and it was 11.3 afr and now it's dropping into the 10.0 range. Before the tune it was reading rich around the 10.0 range and was showing 11.3 until I noticed the afr dipping again today. I haven't been driving the car much until today since getting the tune and a rebuilt auto. So my 2 problems are the afr seems to change by its self and my auto won't stop throwing code 73 and the only thing electronic that I didn't see with my own eyes getting installed was the harness but he said it was brand new. I have changed 02 sensors and that is it. I'm going around in circles here so any help would be appreciated
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Re: AFR keeps changing

Post by yoda69 »

Need to get a log of commanded AFR vs a wide band AFR.
The commanded AFR is affected by many things, coolant temp, TPS%, time at WOT, RPM etc
It can vary a lot based on these settings.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

A log will show if one of your sensors is failing and giving further and further out input data over time too. My guess is it will be a mechanical problem affecting air metering or fuel delivery (obviously), logs will help you track down where to look.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Cat saver mode?
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Not an option in this case. No code for that.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

This is for a VY L67?

Target AFR is very much dependant on engine coolant temp.

Although I'm not familiar with the Kalmaker code for these and I'm not sure what changes they have made.
Spookydriftr

Post by Spookydriftr »

here is the log
Attachments
log 05.01.2024 01.xdl
(867.48 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Spookydriftr

Post by Spookydriftr »

Hey guys sorry my reply disappeared or I didn't press send sorry..... I went to a wedding and most of the drive was just average cruising except for a few moments shown in the log. The last 100% tps I watched my wideband and it bottomed out at 10.0 and the car was sputtering. The commanded afr was 11.9 but I'm not sure how rich it actually got. I don't know enough about the whole system to look for something that could be causing it except for if it was obvious. I'm going to go through the engine bay and look for wiring issues that could be causing it. There's some wiring modifications done for the Kalmaker to run the map so I'll look at those first. I do have a fuel pressure gauge and it is not reading any different than it normally does eg not spiking or reading higher. I'm pretty sure it doesn't go as rich when it's cold but I don't floor it because of it being cold. Again sorry for the late reply as I thought I did yesterday. Cheers guys
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Sounds like a fuel system problem.

Where are you measuring your fuel pressure? What is your fuel pressure?
Spookydriftr

Post by Spookydriftr »

I've got a jrp multi gauge that measures fuel pressure. I set the base pressure with a mechanical gauge and then used the jrp gauge to have a electronic gauge in the cabin. Even though the jrp gauge isn't a name brand the gauges reads the same as a mechanical gauge. My fuel pressure is set to 45psi with vacuum and at 0psi boost the fuel pressure is about 55psi, full boost is about 16psi and full boost with foot flat the
fuel pressure is displaying around 71 psi. The fuel pressure seems to be ok but I am not positive because I'm relying on my jrp gauge to show a raise in fuel pressure as the engine accelerates.