Are factory Holden tunes locked?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
emilebos2
cars: 02 Holden ute LS1

Are factory Holden tunes locked?

Post by emilebos2 »

So I’m a newb to tuning and for starters would like to change my fan 1 & 2 on/off temps after fitting a new thermostat to my 02 WH Holden Caprice LS1.

Recently ordered and received my OBDX Pro GT to get me into the PCM via PCM Hammer & Universal Patcher. The OBDX Pro GT is connecting, but when I try to do a PCM read I get the error: “VIN query failed: Timeout” Has anyone else experienced this issue?

My initial thought is the factory tune might be locked? Are factory bin files locked??

antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Are factory Holden tunes locked?

Post by antus »

I know you got the response in the other thread, but to answer your initial question, they are "locked" with the factory security algorithm. But two things - that algorithm is known, and built in to PCMHammer, so the tuning community would not consider it locked as the software will handle it without you needing to do anything. When someone says its "locked" they means its got something different or extra to stop normal programs working with it out the box. The other thing is you dont need to unlock it until you want to read or write the flash chip. You can always get the VIN, OSID etc just by hitting get properties, regardless of if its locked with normal factory or custom security.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
emilebos2
cars: 02 Holden ute LS1

Re: Are factory Holden tunes locked?

Post by emilebos2 »

Cheers antus, thanks for the clarification. All helps with skilling up as a newb!

I’ve now got into the PCM after Tazzi’s tip on setting a serial connection on the OBDX Pro GT via PCM Hammer, so was able to save my factory tune to a .bin file, and will make edits later in the week and write back to PCM.