EEC IV read write

Ford information and tools can be found here
In-Tech

EEC IV read write

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya,
Is there a way to read/write an EEC IV? I need to clone a dead one to a good one. I'll read the file off the j3 port. I'd rather flash it if I can so I don't have an adapter hanging out on the J3 with this convertible.
I can pull flash and re-solder if needed too. Any advice is appreciated, not a Ford guy :wtf:
DWS
cars: Tons of Toyotas, 2003 cavi derby car, ford trucks, etc.

Re: EEC IV read write

Post by DWS »

I mostly work with EEC-V computers, but if it's 95 and older, of my understanding, they are read only and would require a J3 chip if you wanted a tune from another computer running, or just get an exact replacement, if the part number is the same, being read only would mean it's code is also the same.

I've read rumor that around 94+ there's some transition computers that existed that ran the EEC-V cpu/memory, but the EEC-IV connector, haven't dug into that though so I can't really say for sure and most likely the code you have wouldn't interchange with one of those anyway.

Removing the memory chip and soldering it on the replacement should be possible as long as the hardware and software can work together. Bare min would be the hw id would need to match or be one that's allowed for the computer code to run on, anything else would be questionable if it would work. Some features might but not all if the hw id doesn't match, sometimes it just flat out doesn't run at all at least on the EEC-V side of things.

Part number, catch code, or some way of identifying what computer you're working with could be handy, and also why the need of cloning the computer vs replacing with the same part number would be interesting, maybe there's some background I'm missing.

If it already has a chip, then transferring it to another computer with the same hw id works too, basically the same thing as flashing another computer with extra hardware and that J3 connection being involved.

Not really a ford guy either, personally I like Toyota's lol, but the EEC-V's can be tuned/flashed so investing some time into working them out, EEC-IV is the older version of them, slightly different cpu, 8061 instead of 8065, both Intel.

Not sure if any of that is helpful, but should give a touch of direction.
Ford EEC-V Bin Converter (bank swapping and padding): viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8342
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Thank You,
I appreciate the reply. Yes, it seems it would need a J3 chipper to work. After spending a shit ton of time. I found both of the stock files needed, then the customer found a stock correct ecu on ebay. Sounds like I am done on this project, lol.

I too have a tiny bit of experience now with the EECV's, and so far so good(couple posts here)
I only do weird non GM stuff for good shop customers :thumbup:
DWS
cars: Tons of Toyotas, 2003 cavi derby car, ford trucks, etc.

Post by DWS »

Lol, yea that's why the chip stuff seems like it used to be really big for that era of ford computer and how huge it is for Moates Quarterhorse to just dissapear overnight basically. I got in the game months after they closed up :(.

If you need to find an exact setting in an EEC-V computer some time and have the ability to read/write them, let me know and shoot over the stock bin and I should be able to help. I'm modifying them for demo derby use, but given enough time and effort, I should be able to fully define the computers based on the ford documentation that's out on the web to reference. Doing one computer right now, then the idea is to use my pattern matching program I made to find the same code in other computers, so those should be loads faster to work out to some capacity.

I have the pats code (engine immobilizer) covered for every variation of EEC-V computer I have a bin for currently, I suspect that would be a common request for people to disable the chipped key requirement for engine swaps and such.

Anyway, anything is weird when it's something you're not used to lol. Ford computers are weird to me compared to Toyota's. In demo derby logic, they want them to run well even when overheating, no limp modes etc, the Toyota computers are just disconnect some sensors, spoof some others, and it's basically good to go (can't tune them of my understanding, similar to EEC-IV but no J3 port), and I tried that logic on Ford's and it ran like complete garbage. Since I've gotten into them, there's all kinds of limiters and such programmed in them. I can see why the Taurus is so doggy compared to a Camry v6, both are 3.0L, camry has an advantage since it's a 10.5:1 high compression engine, all aluminum engine, 6 bolt main, but it's 150hp vs 190hp stock lol. Ironically, the 4cyl camry's are around 130hp, the taurus feels a lot like the 4cyls for power.

I think the customer getting the same part number computer off ebay is probably the best solution unless they want the tuning ability when going the j3 chip route.

I'm like the exact opposite, I'm pretty heavily invested in Ford computers now, eventually I plan to get into the GM's some day. I touched into them a tad bit before the P04's had much worked out and P11 and P05 basically had no info. Still pretty new on the reverse engineering stuff, but having the Ford reference material has helped me learn a lot on the Ford side. Not sure if anything like that exists on the GM side, but if not it would take a lot of effort to work out what a function does exactly.

Anyway, back to getting as much defined in this Ford computer's code as possible =).
Ford EEC-V Bin Converter (bank swapping and padding): viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8342