How do i remove VATS on16233396pcm

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Sudsy

Re: How do i remove VATS on16233396pcm

Post by Sudsy »

antus wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:02 pm You can make up an adapter with a small piece of vero board and a couple of rows of pins so that you can plug the memcal in to an adaptor and the adaptor in to the programmer so that you dont need to pull the chip off an risk damage.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/pc-boards-ver ... m/p/HP9540 or
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/196022248601
with
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/392287444416

You can use the board whole, or cut it down with a hack saw to chip size. Cut the traces with a knife so they dont make contact Then for the pins on one side dont push it right in to the track and tack some solder on the side of the board with the trace. Then on the other side do it normally.

Something like this shape should give you the idea. Cut the green outline right through, the green trace down the middle with the knife to cut the track, the rows of pins in red - outer pair on one side of the board, inner pair on the other.
Yes i did that but for some reason i don't get any readings. It just sits there searching. Could just be the software i have. Will try a different eeprom in the next few days and see what happens or have to find some different software
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

What do you mean 'searching'? That's not a term i'd associate with reading a chip in a programmer, normally.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

antus wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:31 pm What do you mean 'searching'? That's not a term i'd associate with reading a chip in a programmer, normally.
Searching is when i press read eeprom and the hourglass comes on and stays there
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

What chip type do you have selected in the software? Do you have a multimeter and can you verify connectivity from each pin of the chip in the memcal, to the metal connector in the ZIF socket at the other end of the adapter, and also verify each pin has no connectivity to the connecter each side of the one it is supposed to be connected to, also the one oppostite incase of a short? Do you have it in the programmer the right way up, and with the right pin alignment? Send a photo of the setup in the programmer and the configuration of the software if you want us to check positioning and config.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

antus wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:34 am What chip type do you have selected in the software? Do you have a multimeter and can you verify connectivity from each pin of the chip in the memcal, to the metal connector in the ZIF socket at the other end of the adapter, and also verify each pin has no connectivity to the connecter each side of the one it is supposed to be connected to, also the one oppostite incase of a short? Do you have it in the programmer the right way up, and with the right pin alignment? Send a photo of the setup in the programmer and the configuration of the software if you want us to check positioning and config.
I have tried various chip types and get the same outcome as i don't know what chiptype i have. Have been trying to find that information but haven't had any luck as yet. I have verified the pin connections to the adaptor. I will check it on the reader today just to confirm that all is ok. I have found a couple of other different software that i will try.

Thanks for your help
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Don't try random chip types, if you pick one that supplies a high voltage (usually programming, but not necessarily) to a pin that can't handle it you can destroy the chip. Same with chip orientation in the socket. This stuff is not designed to be foolproof or user friendly, and not but designed to be used by people with the background knowledge to get it right.

We know PCM bins are all 128 Kbyte. So you can check with google 128 kbyte to kbit and see that its 1024 kbit. Now all the factory eproms are standard UV erase eproms. So that means what you need is a 27C (27 for Eprom C for CMOS type - you just have to know that). Then for 1024 kbit there a couple of different ways to write it but generic type 27C1024 or 27C010 should both read it.

If you are interested some general information about chip types and naming to expand on what is above is here https://www.batronix.com/shop/electroni ... ng.html#03
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

For the correct chip ID:
Factory short 1024k memcals can be read as Fairchild FM27C010.
Long 512k memcals as ST M27C512.

Or skip the ID mismatch and it should still work as most 27C010
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Well looks like that worked. I have some numbers and stuff on the screen. Will try and identify it now and see how i go. Thanks again
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I think you can read the mencal thru the OBD port with the Flashtool but you can't write to it.
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Well i managed to read it. Now have to work out how to identify it and find the xdf. Have downloaded the memcal identifier . This old fart just has to work out how to use it. Thanks for the help everyone. I'm old and new to this but love having a go myself