Wideband recommendation

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
Jaso74
cars: VR Commodore ute 304 auto

Wideband recommendation

Post by Jaso74 »

Hey all .
Been looking for a wideband sensor/kit to tune my in progress rebuild project (VR 355 424 ecu Auto).
I have hardware ready,(nvram etc), other than a wideband sensor and associated wiring , weld in bung etc. Trouble is there is a few around for sale and not sure what to get or where from .
Looking for suggestions , rather buy once and be happy than wish I'd asked.

Any suggestions appreciated .
VTXU8

Re: Wideband recommendation

Post by VTXU8 »

I have the SPARTAN 3 Lite (dual) wideband kit and has been working flawlessly for over a year. With the gauge and wired into pcm so can be logged in tuner pro. It can also simulate narrowband so you can just fit wideband o2 sensor into existing sensor bung without the need to add another. But there are other good brands out there too that others on here use.

I got mine from JRP or Just Race Parts for a reasonable price. Pretty easy to wire up.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I've had a good run with https://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/x-s ... gauge.html

Recently I found a number of people on facebook saying AEM have turned shit and have clone sensors that dont work now, but I couldn't find a single person saying they'd bought through official channels and had problems, only randoms who never told their source. So I reckon its people buying through ebay and dodgy sellers swapping the wideband for a cheap one then selling the real one again somewhere else. The site I linked are one of a couple official AU official resellers and I reckon you'll be right through them.

You will need to set the high and low values in the tune to get it to read right, and I think for the '424 you sometimes need to remove a surface mount component too. If you get one with a gauge then you can check your logs are showing the same readings as the gauge and adjust the high and low values to get the analog calibration right between the pcm and the wideband.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Jaso74

Post by Jaso74 »

Thanks for the feed back on those two. I had seen both of them and thought they looked pretty good.

Vtxus, I have seen some say they liked the previous version better but seems irrelevent anyway as it's gone now anyway. I like how they present on the website and the sensor option. I'd go the bosch I think.

antus, I didn't about removing a component you mentioned , is that 424 specifc thing or that particular wideband ?
VTXU8

Post by VTXU8 »

The only difference between the old and new kit is the new kit has the control/ecu board which the old one did not. The new kit is a lot quicker in it's response/calculations due to an upgraded cpu. I got the Bosch sensors.
Jaso74

Post by Jaso74 »

Yeah they do look good. Probably be my first choice at the moment .
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I have an old Spartan 1 and Spartan 2 controller. They don't make those any more but both still work great, the Spartan 1 is over 10 years old at this point.

As Antus mentioned, I have heard good stuff about AEM.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya,
i have used lot's of 14.7 stuff with good results. Same with AEM until they were bought out by Holley. I am doing 10 widebands for a buds dyno and decided to use the newer NTK controllers, a bit more money, but NTK wideband sensors have always been better than the bosch with weird fuels like Meth, E85 and Nitro.
Jaso74

Post by Jaso74 »

Anyone used a Saas kit ? Can't tell from online info but I'd think it probably a Bosch sensor in kit perhaps ? Part number SG41292 , https://www.shopsaas.com/saas-air-fuel- ... es-sg41292
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Bosch LSU 4,9 it says. Those are really good as long as you don't end up with a chinese copy :(
I've been buying these.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 5132&jsn=1