New engine, first start up tune ?

160 And 8192 Baud Aldl
Jaso74
cars: VR Commodore ute 304 auto

New engine, first start up tune ?

Post by Jaso74 »

Hi All .

I will soon with any luck be firing up a freshly built 355 in my VR commodore ute .
I started with a crappy running project ute then one thing led to another and now I'm in the process of finishing a new engine build and trying to get prepared for the tuning process/learning curve that will ensue.

Still getting some items together but wondered about initial start up of this money pit and what would be safe as it were for starting,cam run in and with any luck not washing down the cylinders in that process more to the point .

Would the std 304 tune be ok for this or should I be putting a std 215i bin in or what else ?
I have my new nvram loaded with the enhanced code, aldl interface , tunerpro rt on laptop, ose plugin 1.80, VR_$11 adx file downloaded and I think a rough idea of where I'm going. (Have to choose a wideband kit and order that also).

Any help appreciated .
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: New engine, first start up tune ?

Post by antus »

Enhanced is for the later pcm type, so I assume you mean 11P on an ecm nvram. Yes, use the factory 5L as a starting point. But you mention a cam, and I wonder if you have different injectors too. If you have different injectors you'll want to change the injector rate and cranking tables to start with. If you have a cam you might be able to find better VE and Spark tables to copy in to the base 5L tune. You might also want to load up a 5.7 tune with its matching XDF and copy and paste the VE and Spark in to Excel and take note of the columns, then use excel to scale it to suite 11P and copy it in. As always you'll want to check your base timing before going to far, and keep an ear out for knock since you'll know you are mixing and matching a bit, just to be safe. Someone who's done it before might have further advice.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I think the std 165 or 185 bin file should be fine. I don't know if the 215 has bigger injectors though. Make sure you keep the revs up to around 2000-2500 after startup and warmup. I'v seen flat tappet cams rip the lobes off in no time if left to idle after the first startup.
Jaso74

Post by Jaso74 »

antus wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:16 pm Enhanced is for the later pcm type, so I assume you mean 11P on an ecm nvram. Yes, use the factory 5L as a starting point. But you mention a cam, and I wonder if you have different injectors too. If you have different injectors you'll want to change the injector rate and cranking tables to start with. If you have a cam you might be able to find better VE and Spark tables to copy in to the base 5L tune. You might also want to load up a 5.7 tune with its matching XDF and copy and paste the VE and Spark in to Excel and take note of the columns, then use excel to scale it to suite 11P and copy it in. As always you'll want to check your base timing before going to far, and keep an ear out for knock since you'll know you are mixing and matching a bit, just to be safe. Someone who's done it before might have further advice.
Oh bugger , Gareth preloaded the nvram with enhanced , does that mean it needed to be re-burnt with another code I guess for 11p ? I'm using a 424 ecu auto .

I have only a baby cam 4503 crow and std fuel system , no bigger injectors etc .
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

It could be just the terminology... This one? viewtopic.php?t=3612
And with 11p? That is what you want for the '424 pcm.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Jaso74

Post by Jaso74 »

Yep that's the nvram I have , ecm type for 424 ecu

So I'm a little confused on the enhanced mod code . Is that applicable to what I want to do , ie the 424 on VR auto ? In this - viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2518 ,it say VS to VY which would be a pcm nvram not a ecm nvram right ? Ahhh confused
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Depending on how hot the engine is, anything cam or related mods pretty much always run rich as shit on a stock memcal, this is due to the engine having lower vac for a given rpm, lower vac means higher up the stock memcal sees the VE table than it normally would be, therefore more fuel.

It's not uncommon for hotted up engine to billow black smoke on the stock memcal. I would lean everything out, and lean cam bed in is beneficial as the bores and rings get their best foot forward so to speak on the initial bedding in as the mixture is lean and no chance of fuel contamination of the oil film.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Jaso74 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:35 pm Yep that's the nvram I have , ecm type for 424 ecu

So I'm a little confused on the enhanced mod code . Is that applicable to what I want to do , ie the 424 on VR auto ? In this - viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2518 ,it say VS to VY which would be a pcm nvram not a ecm nvram right ? Ahhh confused
Yeah, I think since the ECM type are older and used more rarely as time goes by, he probably has gotten used to saying "enhanced" when referring to the software on all of them. Technically 11P is not that, but if you have the right hardware I think you'll get it with the right software too. I wouldn't worry about it at this point, and I am sure we can sort it out if there is a problem.

For what its worth i'd always recommend getting an eeprom programmer that supports the chip too, as accidentally uploading an incompatible file or short circuiting the read/write wire you need to solder in to the case against the pcm box will also damage the data on the chip. That's frustrating to then have to wait for a programmer at that point, so if you can, it's probably worth getting one now so should that happen you are able to recover on the spot. That advice goes to everyone running an nvram setup. Usually a gq4x4 from mcumall.com or darkwire.com.au or a TL866-3G from ebay are good options. The GQ has better software, but the TL866-3G is cheaper and can still get the job done.
Jaso74

Post by Jaso74 »

Thanks guys , that's cleared my ideas up in my head at this stage at least hehe .

I will speak to a guy at work before I fire it up and see if he can assist with leaning the ve table , he does dyno tuning , ve and spark table mods as part of his job , not something I have done working more so on another brand that doesn't have that requirement .

I will look at the eeprom programmer and get something , seems logical to have .
Jaso74

Post by Jaso74 »

Is it possible to just tell tunerpro that your running a bigger injectors than your actually using and lean out the whole table across the board including cold enrichment etc ? Just thinking out loud