Ecotec V6 Dry sump

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Gareth

Re: Ecotec V6 Dry sump

Post by Gareth »

Correct, it reliefs prior to the filter to prevent detonation of the filter.

I had hoped to use the regulator on the new pump to adjust system pressure so the internal relief will at the very least be modded to not work.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Gareth wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:46 am Correct, it reliefs prior to the filter to prevent detonation of the filter.
Which is a bit silly as there is a bypass valve built into the housing to bypass the filter if the pressure drop becomes too large across the filter.

I've seen people delete that to force all the oil to be filtered or use a filter with a internal bypass valve, just make sure the oil is fully up to temp before stepping on the loud pedal.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Well the internal filter and integrated filter bypass don't stop the filter exploding as that only bypasses the pressure differential in the case of a blocked filter. The absolute pressure the filter sees is from the pressure control valve, and if that's too high it explodes the filter and pops gaskets regardless of what the filter bypasses are doing.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality

Post by immortality »

If the filer bypass opens that pressure (oil) goes straight to the engine and not the filter.

A oil filter should be able to handle a lot more oil pressure than a normal working engine sees.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

The engine is the restriction in the system. Without a relief valve, oil pressure can and often does go into the 100s of psi. Of course the engine doesn't need such pressure, but that's what happens if you block the relief valve. Gareth can confirm if this is what he referring to.

The filter bypass is only when the pressure drop across the filter is too high to allow enough flow though the media. But if the oil pressure say was 250psi, the filter bypass will still work the same as normal regardless assuming flow rates remain the same.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality

Post by immortality »

I'm not saying you need to get rid of the pressure relief valve for the engine, you definitely need one.

All I'm saying is I have seen engine builds where they modify the oil system to force the oil through the filter. There was a heap of info about it on the AV8 forum but unfortunately it's gone now. what they did was chance location of the pressure relief valve to after the oil filter. They also removed the filter bypass so in effect it creates a full flow filtration system instead of the typical bypass filtration you have on a standard engine. During cold starts it's not uncommon for the filter bypass to open and let unfiltered oil directly into the motor. I'm told this can also happen at high rpm/oil pressure when you are moving a lot of oil volume.

It's not something I'd do on a stock motor with a tiny oil filter on it but if you are remote mounting and can fit a decent size filter then it shouldn't be an issue.

The guys who did it were building race engines so I assume they know what they are doing. They also said with mods like that you needed to ensure the oil was up to temp before getting into it.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

This is the schematic I intend to follow -
4-stage-are-plumbing-schematic.jpg

I'm not sold on the idea of running the stock pump in line with the external pump, whilst that may have 'been the go' 20 years ago on FH, technology and knowledge has come a long way since. The main selling point of the dry sump system for me is the horse power increase, leaving the old pump in place will cost unnecessary parasitic loss. The idea of redundancy is a good one but I have fantastic idiot lights and guages that tell me when shits going south... And with my speedway brain, I'd probably ignore them if the win was close :lol: :lol:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Looks about right.

prob not the filter you will be using, but I looked up the Z154 specs and they are full flow. No built in bypass, guess that's coz there is a bypass in the oil filter adapter, that spring loaded ball bearing thing.

I use the syntec ryco filters on my good cars, which they have the meshed pleats, synthetic media which flows higher and lower micron filtering as well. They are built stronger than the OEM ones too for higher oil pressure.

I have tried most of the internet forum "must have performance filters" all were bs and false advertising I might add. I found the ryco synthetic ones in super cheap or repco or some shop an recalled LP uses them on his VP and VR. Indeed they are as advertised.
immortality

Post by immortality »

vlad01 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:47 pm Looks about right.

prob not the filter you will be using, but I looked up the Z154 specs and they are full flow. No built in bypass, guess that's coz there is a bypass in the oil filter adapter, that spring loaded ball bearing thing.

I use the syntec ryco filters on my good cars, which they have the meshed pleats, synthetic media which flows higher and lower micron filtering as well. They are built stronger than the OEM ones too for higher oil pressure.

I have tried most of the internet forum "must have performance filters" all were bs and false advertising I might add. I found the ryco synthetic ones in super cheap or repco or some shop an recalled LP uses them on his VP and VR. Indeed they are as advertised.
Yes the Z154 has no bypass filter because it is external, the stock factory oiling system is bypass filtration. It's well known that not all the oil will go through the filter on OEM type oil systems.

That oil filter mount is set up to use a Ryco Z9 (3/4-16 in threads which I believe is the common Ford filter size) or equivalent, a proper decent size filter. They also have the internal bypass.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Gareth wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:38 pm This is the schematic I intend to follow - 4-stage-are-plumbing-schematic.jpg

I'm not sold on the idea of running the stock pump in line with the external pump, whilst that may have 'been the go' 20 years ago on FH, technology and knowledge has come a long way since. The main selling point of the dry sump system for me is the horse power increase, leaving the old pump in place will cost unnecessary parasitic loss. The idea of redundancy is a good one but I have fantastic idiot lights and guages that tell me when shits going south... And with my speedway brain, I'd probably ignore them if the win was close :lol: :lol:
Don't know if you follow drag racing, drag and drive? Steve Morris recently lost the belt on his oil pump and did 2 passes on the car during testing and it only ate one bearing in the motor although he did have a special coating on the bearing which effectively saved the motor. Later that week Lutz lost the oil pump drive belt on his Promod and ate the bearings but not a total disaster. He did have a safety in the tune that shut the motor off when the oil pressure dropped to zero. Both of them had issues with tire shake and most likely cause for rattling shit loose and the loss of belts.

Hopefully you'll do a bit of a build thread on this speedway car?