VS L67 A2A/W2A hybrid setup tuning?

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

VS L67 A2A/W2A hybrid setup tuning?

Post by immortality »

A mate is getting parts together to set up a Hybrid A2A/W2A intercooler on his L67 which I'm going to tune (but have no experience with).

Looking for any tips or suggestions from people who have experience with this configuration.

Engine already has the stage 2 Comp cam and supporting mods. Also has a upgraded gen5 M90 with custom 3" inlet pipe and LS TB.

Would there be any benefit to moving the MAF so it's located after the W2A heat exchanger before it goes back into A2A plate and into the engine? One of the big issues I keep reading about is the disconnect from the MAF in the stock location and the long intake path causing a delay making tuning very difficult.

It has even been suggested the TB is moved to the inlet side of the A2A plate (at the back of the motor) going into the engine but the owner isn't keen on this idea.

Any thoughts, tips or tricks welcome.
immortality

Re: VS L67 A2A/W2A hybrid setup tuning?

Post by immortality »

Moving the MAF is a no go unless we block the blower bypass in the A2A plate. I don't see the owner going down that path as then we might as well move the TB as well.
immortality

Post by immortality »

The owner is for blocking the bypass in the A2A plate. The plate needs port matching to the gen5 blower and LIM which was modified as well so it needs a trip to the machine shop.
cars: VY s L67
Haines Hunter - not a car but still a toy

Post by 0081 »

Leave the MAF where it is, no need to relocate it or the throttle body.

I was running the LS2 MAF and it ran as good as factory. No idle hunting, idle hanging or stalling, rock solid idle and started perfect.

Changed over to the LS7 card MAF as the 55mm pulley pushed the LS2 MAF close to it limit, its not as good as the LS2 MAF but that mostly due to that fact it was close enough and I didn't have time to dial it in anymore just yet.
Just need to spend time on the cold idle as its a touch grumpy for 10-20 sec on a cold start. Apart from that it great,

Its done more dyno kms the past 6 moths compared to actual kms on the road.....
immortality

Post by immortality »

Cheers mate,

Yeah, he'll set it up as standard, trying to keep the pipe work as short as possible. The A2A plate is at the machine shop now for port matching and have the bypass hole welded up.

I've already got it running on a LS1 MAF and I'm not sure how small a pulley he intends to run, at the moment he's running a 3.2" pulley with 5% OD balancer and I know he's got a 2.8" pulley waiting.

Post by 0081 »

Has the blower bridge been machined out with the bypass hole is being sealed up?

My hybrid setup has a pipework length of around 1200mm.
Currently working on relocating the alt down to power steeeing location using an astra pump to clean up the pipework and slightly reduce the pipework volume/length.

The last dyno visit for me seemed to point towards pipework size and volume can affect power a decent amount.

I would put foawrd a larger MAF to make sure its not a restriction in the intake.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Hi mate,

Yes the blower will be modified to suit.

He was debating 2.5" or 3" pipe work, what would you recommend?

Post by 0081 »

I need to head back to the dyno for some more testing as the last time was a fight the while day with the car not responding well to the last round of changes.

It seemed very much that my setup favoured the 2.5" piping however.

I believe that its to do with air speed through the piping but I do need to test it some more on the dyno.