wideband- needs pull up resistor removed ?

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
Jaso74
cars: VR Commodore ute 304 auto

wideband- needs pull up resistor removed ?

Post by Jaso74 »

Hey all .

I have been having a bit of a battle with getting my wideband working mostly due to poor body earthing on my ute by the looks from previous hands work.
But little did I know I actually seem to have been battling two faults .

First one was the poor earthing. ( Now fixed, earthing points confirmed and down to 0 to .1 max ohms resistance to earthing points when checked with ohm's meter.

Second issue is the Spartan3 lite is completing it's initialization correctly when not connected to the delco ecu . As soon as I connect the ecu D8 wire into the spartan control unit, it just maxes out at 19.5 AFR on gauge. I have a wire on a terminal from a spare loom terminated into D8 connector pin location but I have not removed the pull up resistor.
Honestly I did so of forget about this but also thought I had been told it wasn't required to remove it unless using certain wideband set up's ???

I might be totally wrong here , please help ?
Jaso74

Re: wideband- needs pull up resistor removed ?

Post by Jaso74 »

Sorry forgot to mention, ecu is 424 , $11P .
Pretty sure logging of wideband through TP5 was maxed out of scale too .
VTXU8

Post by VTXU8 »

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=356&p=47237#p47237

It looks like you need to remove the resistor. Refer to link above. But I think you may also need to change the formula in tuner pro. But I would be removing resistor first and see if that was the issue.
Jaso74

Post by Jaso74 »

Cheers , thanks for that . I did some searching but couldn't find it . Always seem hard to figure out the correct search term to get the info, well sometimes .

Not sure if it read that way but the maxed out figure I was mentioning is on the Spartan gauge not on TP5 too . I hadn't even rechecked it in TP5 due to the Spartan gauge issue.

I will remove it ,see what it does and adjust the values to suit , 0 to 5 volts I think it is .

Thanks .
Jaso74

Post by Jaso74 »

Just heads up if anyone else has the same issue , yep the resistor needs to be removed for sure , this is on the 424 ecu with Spartan3 lite . Make sure you get the right resistor for the 424 ecu .
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I never bothered with the resistor removal. I just adjust the 0 and 5V scalars slightly until the calibration sequence output by the WB on startup matches the reading in TP. This step is necessary in all cases resistor or not due to WB to ECU variance and what not, so removing the resistor is a moot point. I have always been able to get my WB calibrated spot on.

If the readings are miles out, either the 0-5v of the WB and the tune are not a standard match, or the WB controller is bad, or incorrect wiring.

Edit:
Oh, and the WB reading to be maxed out is normal when the ignition is on, but engine not running as it will just read full lean with no exhaust gases present. But you should see the sequence cycle when the WB powers up, but it's often missed if you are cycling the key, best to power cycle the WB only when the key is already on and TP showing real time dash readout so that you can catch the sequence. It's not uncommon for the WB to sequence quicker than the whole ECU and laptop, TP dash takes to come online.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Jaso74

Post by Jaso74 »

I adjusted my scalars to attempt to get a normal reading on the Spartan gauge and it did nothing. I hadn't even started the engine or looked at live WB data on tp5 .

The gauge worked fine as soon as I removed the wire to ecu D8 . Mostly the reason I went this way was no matter what I did , the Spartan gauge would do nothing except sit on 19.5 or there abouts ( give .1 either way) , not even complete it's start up sequence with it like it was.
Seems to be working now fine, key on reads on gauge 13.3 then 16.6 and then goes to live data figure.
Reading in TP5 , I haven't confirmed yet if it's accurate .
Anyway that's where I'm at currently .
Jaso74

Post by Jaso74 »

Ok that only half worked as it turns out .
I can adjust scalars and get a different reading on the dash in TP5 but it just stays at one figure , isn't responsive to live reading at all where the Spartan gauge is working fine .
Ahhhhh dammit .
Does this sound like a file issue ? I'm using - OSE_$11P V104.xdf and OSE_$11P V104 1Bar.adx ?
Any ideas ?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

It sounds like its not wired up properly. Its an analog voltage level and it should be moving all the time, even if the calibration is wrong. Check you have the right analog signal wire to the right pin on the pcm, and check your power wiring, too. It sounds like the gauge has power but there might also be a common ground for the analog out that needs to joined to pcm signal ground. I am not sure.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VTXU8

Post by VTXU8 »

Just to confirm. You ran a wire from terminal 6 from the Spartan lite box to D8 on ECU?