vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Idle spark 355 424 ?

Post by vlad01 »

Yeah but rightly so, I've dealt with starters a lot in my early career (auto elec) and personally, and the Bosch starters were pretty shite and not much better than the English Lucas crap. The Mitsubishi style design used by many back then and now just universal design was light years better, lighter, smaller, much more powerful, less overhauling(more reliable and long lasting) and far more efficient that required cables and a battery far smaller than what the Bosch units needed for the same/equiv engine or car.

All the high torque upgrade starters were the smaller Mitsu style ones to replace the old Bosch type in Chev, Holden v8 etc...

Delco Remy US but are based on the Mitsu design and in fact actually use Mitsu parts internally for some of the bits, like brush box and the solenoid.

On the other hand, with alternators Bosch is very good and similar to the Mitsu stuff.

Then with EFI stuff, Bosch I'd say are leaders for most fuel parts and the AC Delco (back then) was the best for electrical EFI stuff.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I just love the plastic reduction gears used by bosch for Ford's used in the cab industry. You could buy a replacement for under $100 which screams out poor quality.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

There is a place in NZ that does gear reduction starters for everything. Not cheap but good quality.

https://www.roadrunner-starters.com/

I have one sitting on the shelf for the day the 304 starter dies. It had a solenoid issue but we got that sorted for now. I actually think the Car doesn't like my missus, it only ever played up when she drove it. After she stopped driving it, it has never played up again.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

They look really good, the V6 ones are actually a good price as the genuine Delco Remy ones always cost close to $400. They have been NLA for a long time already too.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Jaso74
cars: VR Commodore ute 304 auto

Post by Jaso74 »

I ordered one of these things to try out . https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/264810923853
Seems to be same/similar to the one you linked Vlad .
Here's hoping that it fits, works good and doesn't die in short order !
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Looks decent enough. Let us know the results.
Jaso74
cars: VR Commodore ute 304 auto

Post by Jaso74 »

Fitted the starter tonight . It looks different to the photo they used but if fits no worries, heaps of room compared to std direct drive Bosch .
Best part is , cranks like a champ. Nice and fast , no struggles at all so far. Only ran engine a bit to warm up a little and rechecked a few times, seemed to turn it easy though.
I see how it goes after my next logging drive and how hot starts then.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Awesome! Glad it that was the problem and an easy fix.