How do we program a Holden BCM?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
emilebos2
cars: 02 VU SS Holden ute (LS1)
02 WH Holden Caprice (LS1)

How do we program a Holden BCM?

Post by emilebos2 »

Hi all,

Have an 02 WH Holden Caprice LS1. Have worked out how to use PCM Hammer and Universal Patcher, but now find to edit a low temp fan setting I need to program this in the BCM. What tools/software are recommended to do this?
emilebos2

Re: How do we program a Holden BCM?

Post by emilebos2 »

Sorry, meant to say how do we edit the low speed fan on/off temp settings in the BCM?
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

There is no fan temp setting in the BCM. The PCM simply tells the BCM to turn the fan on or off. The setting is in the PCM
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
emilebos2

Post by emilebos2 »

So the fan temp settings are all in the PCM? And as a newbie to PCM programming, to clarify, is the term PCM interchangeable with ECU, or does an LS1 have a PCM, BCM and ECU? An autoelec I spoke with kept referring to the ECU, which I assumed he was talking about the PCM?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Fan temp settings in PCM? Yes.

PCM = Powertrain Control Module
ECM = Engine Control Module
ECU = Engine Control Unit
TCM = Transmission Control Module
VCM = Vehicle Control Module(s)
BCM = Body Control Module

But its somewhat vendor/manufacturer specific, and essentially ECM/ECU/PCM/VCM are interchangeable for most audiences. Technically PCM includes control of the whole powertrain. Around here usually its ECM for the older stand alone computers and PCM for the later more advanced stuff that go beyond the engine, but you might see the wrong one used occasionally and if the context is there people will know what is meant. BCM and TCM though are specific things.

LS1 has PCM/BCM/ABS/PIM etc. PIM translates between the OBD2 bus which only the PCM is on and the older ALDL bus the BCM/ABS/Cluster/SRS etc is on. Those ALDL modules are also used in the v6 models that don't have OBD2.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
emilebos2

Post by emilebos2 »

Success!!!

Had another look at my PCM bin file and made an edit to the low speed fan temp on and off. Then crossed my fingers and toes and flashed the changes back to the PCM via my OBDX Pro GT and PCM Hammer. And we’re all sorted!

Many thanks to everyone’s input to get me to this point. So happy with the result 👍🏼