delco into Td gemini running Mitsubishi 6A12 TT

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
delcowizzid

Re: delco into Td gemini running Mitsubishi 6A12 TT

Post by delcowizzid »

hahaha yeah shame the ecu doesnt have a fuel sender input :D fully configurable dash boards i should see if vl400 can get a copy of the 8192 buad version for me if the guy ever got round to doing it would love to have a play with it.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

surely you could use a spare pin on the ecm and get the sender into it that way .... mind you it would require some custom programming in the ecm code for it to work!!

just don't run the thing off windows cause it will most likely crash in the middle of a drive and then you will have no dash till it reboots :roll:
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Now this is a serious conversion for a little gemini!!

In terms of the trans, the 4L60E is fairly well defined in some XDFs for the VR auto and is pretty similar software wise to the VT trans other than a torque convertor change. You can run a VR PCM with electronic auto, using the cam sensor and get banked injection and MAP based.

With a VT PCM you can have MAF based and sequential fuel. The VT actually uses a dash that sits on the vehicle bus and gets a ALDL packet at regular intervals. So a carputer with ALDL software will work without requesting anything and is fairly suited to running a digiatl dash.

I will try and get hold of the author of the software delcowizzid posted, I have a 8192 baud version but its a beta that was used during testing. Worked very well but unfortunately the original author was never able to complete it due to time constraints.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

hell yeah would be cool if he started working on that software again its wicked i reckon for an aldl reader.I would use it all the time even without logging also liked the torque and horsepower display function too would be handy for tuning.whats the beta 8192 version like
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
VL400

Post by VL400 »

Will try and get hold of him and see what can come of it. Would be a great tool to have and would suit this app perfectly. The 8192baud version worked very well :) Even did all the mode 4 slew stuff so you can test thhings like locking timing to 20deg, setting the coolant temp to a particular degrees and seeing things react.
Nemesis
cars: td gemini

Post by Nemesis »

I don't suppose the vt ecu could be hacked to run map instead of maf?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

that could be one of those things that it would be easier to change ecm than to make that change to the code ?? :)
Nemesis
cars: td gemini

Post by Nemesis »

found this on auto speed
If you want to go one step beyond a custom tune, Sam suggests going MAF-less – ie ripping out the standard airflow meter and relying on a MAP sensor.
Click for larger image

Sam says this conversion might not necessarily give much more top-end power compared to a performance tune with an airflow meter (depending on the power level) but the engine feels more responsive.

Sam points out that there’s no disadvantage to swapping to a MAF-less tune. The HSV GTS relies completely on its MAP sensor and there’s no noticeable driveability sacrifice so long as it’s been thoroughly tuned.

Note that the conversion to a MAF-less tune is not much more expensive than a retune with an airflow meter. This is because there’s no new hardware required – the existing MAP sensor (which is used in tandem with the airflow meter) is used as the sole load input. All the required mapping points exist in the huge factory program – all that’s required is a few parameter changes and the tuning can commence.
so the ls1 normally uses a maf and map in tandem

the vt hsv gts only uses a map, removing the maf doesn't seem to pose a problem.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

ive got a vt mafless tune somewhere for LS1 which you unplug the maf and run on the seperate map sensor and tune it to suit its pretty easy done as for the 6 much harder.software like kalmaker workshop modules have bins to replace the MAF with a MAP sensor thats the easiest way to do it.but allso the most expensive.like said above VR does electronic auto and runs MAP.
VL400

Post by VL400 »

Yeah the LS1 uses both so has a very good backup system if there is a MAF failure. In the early days a MAFless tune was unplug the MAF and run on the backup fuel tables and tune to suit. This worked, but the way i understand it it also limited other functions such as spark scaling for high and low octane fuels. There are other members on here that know exactly how the LS1 Delphi PCM works so hopefully they can help out.

The MAF based vehicles that used the delco engine management system have only a MAF sensor and rely on the TPS for backup fueling. They go into an Alpha-N mode. This works and can be tuned but is not a true speed density system as no MAP is present. Kalmaker has done a mafless version but its not perfected last i heard, but it certainly is on the way. I seriously doubt a free MAFless version would ever be available due to the time to develop the code.

I would personally be running a VR PCM if you want to do away with a MAF and keep an electronic trans.

Edit: Beat me to it delcowizzid!