My Better Halfs Ride - EH Sedan with 304

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Holden202T

My Better Halfs Ride - EH Sedan with 304

Post by Holden202T »

This was originally posted in "other rides" section as it wasn't delcoed at the time, and we had plans to get a 304 for it.
marieeh20.jpg
marieeh20.jpg (168.99 KiB) Viewed 2829 times
basically a rolling shell, has torana rack and pinion steering and a cut down borg warner in the bum, i had a v6 and 5 speed which i put into it but Marie wants to put a v8 in it, she said chev, i said she would be better off with a 304 ... and eventually i convinced her :)

So Marie keeps deciding its better to spend money on shoes and handbags and shit like that ... so i thought stuff this im going to get the ball rolling myself - So for christmas 2009 i bought her a V8 :thumbup:

It was an ebay special, looked like a good bargain, only problem was that it was about 7-8 hours up the coast, luckily Jayme came to the rescue and collected it for them then stored it at his place till we were able to make the trek up the coast to his place to get it.

So this was how he recieved it, i knew it was all in pieces, i didn't know there was so many extras with it though like tailshaft, k frames and radiator etc.
all%20parts%20under%20house.jpg
all%20parts%20under%20house.jpg (189.53 KiB) Viewed 2829 times
So once we got it home i had a good look over everything to try and work out what was what and anything that was missing etc. Really other than some bolts and little things like starter motor its all there so thats a bonus.

A few added bonuses was the C.O.M.E. memcal with V8 knock filter board and the heads are ported a bit. looks to have some sort of high stall torque converter too so for $550 it was a complete bargain i reckon.

So i roughly screwed the engine together to allow us to trial fit it so we could start working out engine mounts and such.
the commodore mounts make the engine sit way too far forwards
P1050261.jpg
P1050261.jpg (247.98 KiB) Viewed 2829 times
So we sourced some HQ type mounts and they are alot better, they sit about as close to the oil pump as we are going to get, so with them it will mean minimal modifications to the crossmember engine mounts to get it all lined up (we need to move them back about 40-50mm)
P1050276.jpg
P1050276.jpg (154.21 KiB) Viewed 2829 times
you can see here there is a 50mm pipe supporting the back of the engine, with it removed we'll have the engine back about 40mm
P1050267.jpg
P1050267.jpg (161.98 KiB) Viewed 2829 times
The next on the cards after the engine mounts are sorted is to get a HQ sump and pickup, and work out a gearbox crossmember and then we'll pull the motor, throw a gasket set at it and a light hone of the bores (to remove rust etc) then slap it together. The plan is to use the current components along with an old stock cam from my mates motor and then get it all running etc, finish off the rest of the car and then once its engineered/regoed we'll pull the motor out and give it a proper reco. i just don't want to reco it now and then have the thing in and out of the shed for the next 5 years never getting run in properly!!
She might be a bit smokey or tappety but it'll be fine for what we need.

Will also allow me to get a decent tune into it, then once its rebuilt we should have a good baseline to work from!
VX L67 Getrag

Re: My Better Halfs Ride - EH Sedan with 304

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Coming Along Nicely!

Like your work! :punk:
VNracer34G
cars: VN V6 Production Saloon

Post by VNracer34G »

Good to see you keeping it Holden - every man and his dog seems to go chev, everything you could imagine for them is on a shelf so wheres the challenge/acheivment in that? Boring!

Onya mate stick to your guns!

As for the missus and buying handbags and shoes at least she's got good taste in cars and lets you do your own thing with yours so your onto a good thing there :thumbup: but i guess you know that already :lol:
Build it, Race it, Break/Bend it ; Repeat.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

sure do, thats why i gave her a ring :P

she told me she wanted to build the car her way with my advise and that she wanted the front to lift up when she floors it, its her choice engine as far as 4 6 8 etc but i have to be able to build, tune and maintain it and for that reason i wanted a 304! i'm debating weather to do to a 355 just to give her that low down grunt she wants, she doesn't want a revver, just something that will pull out tree stumps at any rpm, so thats why im thinking stroke it and then you can have a nice drivable motor with plenty of pulling power!

even with a v8 in it this thing is going to way alot less than the commodore the motor came from, add to that a stroker and engine work etc and its going to have way more power than she'll ever need!