GM E38 E67 E40 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

E38 E92 and many others. Approximately 2007 and newer
User avatar
DavidBraley
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:15 pm
cars: 1948 GMC

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by DavidBraley »

Gampy wrote:Virus detected ... is what I get.
Same here, and I'm using Linux

EDIT: The size reports back as 2.1mb

Is it possible the name of the file is the reason Chrome thinks it's a virus?
Last edited by DavidBraley on Sun May 24, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-David

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
kur4o
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:20 am

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by kur4o »

It is time to downgrade antivirus and OS.

File is perfectly fine. Downloaded 2 times and the checksums are good, so definitely not a virus.
User avatar
Tre-Cool
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:17 am
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car
Location: Perth

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by Tre-Cool »

downloaded and opens fine for me.

On another note, I'm curious to see if i can get the early 12607218 os which was the early vz with 4l65e's to support the 6l80e. Anyone know if the code is there or a segment swap to support it would be possible?
In-Tech
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:35 am
Location: California

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by In-Tech »

Interesting, I just downloaded it from here and did a compare in hex workshop of the binary and no differences. Here it is zipped up.
2009_G8_Stock_Eng_NoVIN.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In-Tech
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:35 am
Location: California

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by In-Tech »

Tre-Cool wrote:downloaded and opens fine for me.

On another note, I'm curious to see if i can get the early 12607218 os which was the early vz with 4l65e's to support the 6l80e. Anyone know if the code is there or a segment swap to support it would be possible?
I'm sorry, I don't have my files listed by OS, just year, then make/model/customer. Do you have a bin I could look at? Or the year/make/model/eng?
MudDuck514
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:30 pm
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E
Location: North TX, USA

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by MudDuck514 »

In-Tech wrote:Interesting, I just downloaded it from here and did a compare in hex workshop of the binary and no differences. Here it is zipped up.
2009_G8_Stock_Eng_NoVIN.rar
Hi all;

THIS file I was able to Download! CHROME says the other is a potential threat, i.e. a virus.
https://support.google.com/chrome/answe ... hl=en&rd=1

Mike
ironduke
Posts: 820
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by ironduke »

Chrome kicks it as a potiental virus, but if you click on view all downloads you can then click download anyways and get the file.. I’m assuming the .hpt scares chrome, lol..
User avatar
Tre-Cool
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:17 am
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car
Location: Perth

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by Tre-Cool »

In-Tech wrote:
Tre-Cool wrote:downloaded and opens fine for me.

On another note, I'm curious to see if i can get the early 12607218 os which was the early vz with 4l65e's to support the 6l80e. Anyone know if the code is there or a segment swap to support it would be possible?
I'm sorry, I don't have my files listed by OS, just year, then make/model/customer. Do you have a bin I could look at? Or the year/make/model/eng?
GM E38-12607218-4L65.bin
that badboy is from a 2005/06 Holden VZ Calais. originally comes out with a 4l65e/t42 combo.

I would like to convert it to a 6l80e & have someone else with a similar combo who would like to also.

If the ecu is reflashed with a 2007 VE Commodore tune- 12612381 it can talk to the trans, but no longer talks to the BCM PIM, abs module correctly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In-Tech
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:35 am
Location: California

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by In-Tech »

Supercharged, cool :) Enclosed is a .txt file of what the TC program has to say about it.
GM E38-12607218-4L65.txt
The settings in the file can easily be changed from 4L6xE to 6Lx0e. I would think the trans diagnostics and network diagnostics would have to be changed too. As far as segment swaps go I think joukoy and kur4o have that all worked out for the e38 too in the universal patcher.

some info given to me a while back by John at TC and said it was cool to share:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Auto Trans Type parameter that can have the following values:

2 Automatic 3-speed
4 Automatic 4-speed
5 Automatic 4-speed 4L60E
6 Automatic 4-speed 4L80E
7 Automatic 4-speed 4T40E
8 Automatic 4-speed 4T45E
9 Automatic 4-speed 4T60E
10 Automatic 4-speed 4T80E
11 Automatic 4-speed 4T65E
12 Automatic 5-speed 5L40E
16 Manual 3-speed
32 Manual 4-speed
43 Automatic 4-speed 4T65E TUTD
64 Manual 5-speed
128 Manual 6-speed
129 Automatic 6-speed 6L45E
130 Automatic 6-speed 6L50E
131 Automatic 6-speed 6L80E
132 Automatic 6-speed 6L90E
133 Automatic 6-speed HM6T65E
134 Automatic 6-speed HM6T80E

Auto Transmission Type:
Cal Value Definition
0 Freewheel
1 C2C
2 CVC

Drivetrain Type:
Cal Value Definition
0 Undefined
1 Front Wheel Drive
2 Rear Wheel Drive
3 Four Wheel Drive

A. Tach Type: This determines the format/source of the tach signal.

0 = Serial. In this case the tach information is provided over the CAN bus and there is no separate tach output.
1 = Frequency. This provides a frequency based tach output based on the Cam sensor.
2 = Crank. This provides a frequency based tach output based on the Crank sensor.

B. Tach Output High/Low Period. This just sets the number of reference pulses before the tach output signal changes state and id used to calibrate the tach.

C. Vehicle Speed 4K PPM Output. This sets whether the 4000 pulse per mile vehicle speed output is enabled and its source:
0 = Disables
1 = Speed Sensor. This indicates that the output is based on the signal from the speed sensor.
2 = Serial. This indicates that the output is based on speed data from the data bus.

D. Vehicle Speed Type. This specifies how the vehicle speed is output from the ECM.
0 = Wheel Speed
1 = Serial
2 = Rep TOS

The serial setting outputs the vehicle speed on the data bus. I believe the other two setting provide a frequency output but I'm not sure what the difference is.

E. Vehicle Speed Serial Data Format. If the vehicle speed is being output on the data bus, this parameter selects the data format.

0 = Class 2 (J1850 format)
1 = Early CAN
2 = Late Can

I'm not sure what the difference is between 1 & 2.

F. Vehicle Speed Sensor Configuration. This just indicates the configuration of the wheel speed sensors.
0 = All wheels
1 = Driven Wheels
2 = Non-driven Wheels

Not sure how the 'All Wheels' configuration is actually used.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Tre-Cool
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:17 am
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car
Location: Perth

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by Tre-Cool »

Is TC = TunerCat?

If the transmission type is changed does it actually change any logic in calibration or is it purely a description change for the transmission type.

late edit, using the universal patcher i extracted the segments.

found the relevant hex value for the trans type, had to use a different os to do a comparison of a manual to auto. locations were different but it gave me an idea for what i was looking for.

put it back together in a bin file, opened in efilive & now reports as 6l80e.
vz-6l80e.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tre-Cool on Tue May 26, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.