Wiring for VT Ecotec Engine Power

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Wiring for VT Ecotec Engine Power

Post by vlad01 »

the switch is mounted on the shifter, not on the box itself.
Stag76
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:46 am
cars: Triumph TR7 - fitted with VT EcoTec+4l60e Auto
Triumph TR7 fitted with L27+TH700 (WIP)

Re: Wiring for VT Ecotec Engine Power

Post by Stag76 »

Thanks for that.
I bought the engine and box separately (from the same wrecker) and they obviously weren't
from the same car. I haven't got room to fit a VS Shifter, so I guess my options are to get another
box or change the selector input shaft and fit a switch to the box.

Another question...will the box work without the switch. I realize that I will have to work
out something for the start inhibit and reversing lights. It has a 13 pin connector.

Always character-building when you try to fit an engine/box to something that wasn't designed for it.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Wiring for VT Ecotec Engine Power

Post by Holden202T »

i wired up a relay to control mine (vr auto 424 pcm) with the park/neutral and reverse switches on a B&M shifter .... so depending on what you are using for a shifter you might be able to do it ....
WP_20150912_16_24_01_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stag76
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:46 am
cars: Triumph TR7 - fitted with VT EcoTec+4l60e Auto
Triumph TR7 fitted with L27+TH700 (WIP)

Re: Wiring for VT Ecotec Engine Power

Post by Stag76 »

Still on wiring.

There are 2 wires coming out of the loom that connects to the battery.
One is Violet/White, and it connects to the starter solenoid.
The other one is Brown, and it connects to the Alternator. Is this the connection
for the Charging Indicator light in the dash.
2020-07-19 09.00.13.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vs ss
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 am
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1
Location: perth wa

Re: Wiring for VT Ecotec Engine Power

Post by vs ss »

Yes, correct.
Stag76
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:46 am
cars: Triumph TR7 - fitted with VT EcoTec+4l60e Auto
Triumph TR7 fitted with L27+TH700 (WIP)

Re: Wiring for VT Ecotec Engine Power

Post by Stag76 »

Thanks for that.
alffie
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:35 am

Re: Wiring for VT Ecotec Engine Power

Post by alffie »

Stag76 wrote:The Auto gearbox that I have doesn't have a Neutral/Safety switch, and there doesn't look to be enough
shaft protruding from the case to fit one.
It's a 4L60E box, with a 7HDD sticker, and 18 cast into the case, supposedly removed from a VS Commodore.
Did all 4L60E boxes have a Safety/Neutral switch, and are there different types for the earlier/later boxes.

The wiring loom I have has provision for a Neutral/Safety switch....is this going to cause problems?

Only the VT on have the switch on the 4l60E all the rest have the switch assy in the shifter, they are the same vb thru vs. Holden changed it for the VT series
Stag76
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:46 am
cars: Triumph TR7 - fitted with VT EcoTec+4l60e Auto
Triumph TR7 fitted with L27+TH700 (WIP)

Re: Wiring for VT Ecotec Engine Power

Post by Stag76 »

I'm working on the VT Engine Earths in my Triumph TR7 EcoTec project.
I've connected the one to the Water Pump, and the one on the rear of the left cylinder head, and will connect two
heavy cables from the block to the chassis.

I've read about one that connects to the right hand side engine mounting, but can't find it in the loom.
Which part of the loom does it come from?

There is a red (light gauge) wire that appears to connect to the battery +ve (Picture Attached) with the two heavy gauge
cables that connect to the alternator and starter...Is this correct?

There is a green wire (light gauge) coming out of the PCM Harness, approx 600mm from the ECU. (Picture Attached)
Is this a ground, or something else.

TIA.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Wiring for VT Ecotec Engine Power

Post by vlad01 »

The red ones are correct, the smaller of the 2 is the alternator charging wire, big one is the starter motor one.

No idea what the green one is, I only know up to VR and VS.

The one on the engine mount is a heavy black ground cable from block to negative battery.
vs ss
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 am
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1
Location: perth wa

Re: Wiring for VT Ecotec Engine Power

Post by vs ss »

The green wire is the factory anti theft horn that is situated in the passenger top corner of the engine bay.