Not for any road use, just to run the engine.
I have the following set up atm- HSV 215 rebuilt (same specs as VS) with a manual behind it
I have run in the cam with a VN stock V8 tune with an 808.
What I would like to do is run the engine to sort out other items but dont want to continue with the current tune. (Much later I will do the associated mods/changes for use on the road)
Will the following work?
1. Run the 424 PCM with a man tune -BMZN- (or auto for that matter -BRBJ)
without any a/t circuits connected.
I was just going to burn either of those stock bins to a Memcal which has a KS board. It is a memcal from a HSV VS V8 with a/t .
Just searching for the quickest way to get the engine running without having to do time consuming mods. I cant get my hands on a manual ECM (who can these days?)
Your responses are much appreciated, together with any questions.
Running a Man tune in a 424
-
hatchssv8
- Posts: 45
- Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:14 am
- cars: Holdens 66, 76, 77, 90, 05
- Location: Melbourne
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Running a Man tune in a 424
Running a manual bin in a '424 PCM wont work, but running a normal auto bin (such as BRBJ like you mentioned) will work fine with no auto attached - will get a CEL but the engine will run like normal for what you require.
I do sell a small board to convert an 808 into a VR/VS manual ECM if that suits what your trying to do .. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=398
I do sell a small board to convert an 808 into a VR/VS manual ECM if that suits what your trying to do .. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=398
-
hatchssv8
- Posts: 45
- Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:14 am
- cars: Holdens 66, 76, 77, 90, 05
- Location: Melbourne
Re: Running a Man tune in a 424
Thanks for that VL400.
Looks like I will use the a/t tune for now.
Yes, I am aware of your mod. Thats the direction I am taking.........however, can you clarify some things?
After I do the modification with the board you supply, I am stuck with using a 128k ic to run a 16kb bin? A sfar as I know, there is no 215 bin to suit. I would then need to do some mods to attach a 256 or 512 ic to be able to fit the 32kb bin that I mentioned above. Also with the larger ic's and the inteface mods I could run swichable bins (2 or even 4 as per the ic's respectively)
I have been doin some research and may not be full bottle on what I am saying so please excuse me and definately correct me
PS: What stops the manual bin from running in the 424? (lets say that the bin is copied to a 512 ic so the pinouts match the 424s motherboard)
Looks like I will use the a/t tune for now.
Yes, I am aware of your mod. Thats the direction I am taking.........however, can you clarify some things?
After I do the modification with the board you supply, I am stuck with using a 128k ic to run a 16kb bin? A sfar as I know, there is no 215 bin to suit. I would then need to do some mods to attach a 256 or 512 ic to be able to fit the 32kb bin that I mentioned above. Also with the larger ic's and the inteface mods I could run swichable bins (2 or even 4 as per the ic's respectively)
I have been doin some research and may not be full bottle on what I am saying so please excuse me and definately correct me
PS: What stops the manual bin from running in the 424? (lets say that the bin is copied to a 512 ic so the pinouts match the 424s motherboard)
Last edited by hatchssv8 on Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Running a Man tune in a 424
Yeah with the standard 808 memcal you wont get a VR/VS manual bin on there, but seeing as you have a memcal from the '424 with a 512kbit EPROM can just burn the 32k bin to that and run it in the 808 - can do that right now without any modifications to the 808. Once you get it drivable you need to change the speed sensor constant but for just running up the engine disbale VATS and your good to go.
When burning a 32k bin to a 64k EPROM you will either have to offset the bin (offset = 0x8000) or stack it using TunerPro.
When burning a 32k bin to a 64k EPROM you will either have to offset the bin (offset = 0x8000) or stack it using TunerPro.
-
hatchssv8
- Posts: 45
- Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:14 am
- cars: Holdens 66, 76, 77, 90, 05
- Location: Melbourne
Re: Running a Man tune in a 424
I do like your last post VL400.
I thought that the 808 cannot read the 512 ic because there are address pin differences. Again, I am going by the ic datasheets I have read through. Wouldnt I need to 'rewire' the 512 ic to fool the 808 in thinking it is a 128 ic?
I thought that the 808 cannot read the 512 ic because there are address pin differences. Again, I am going by the ic datasheets I have read through. Wouldnt I need to 'rewire' the 512 ic to fool the 808 in thinking it is a 128 ic?
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Running a Man tune in a 424
It can read the 512k EPROM just fine (have run many a 808 on a factory 512k memcal with a manual bin loaded). The highest address line in a 808 is hardwired to 5v so it can only read a max of 32k but thats no problem, the 64k auto bin is very different so wouldnt run anyway.
-
hatchssv8
- Posts: 45
- Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:14 am
- cars: Holdens 66, 76, 77, 90, 05
- Location: Melbourne
Re: Running a Man tune in a 424
I have made an adapter to be able to attach the 512 memcal on a programmer. I friend of mine can give me access to his setup on the weekend to copy the bin to my memcal. Where I am stuck atm is -
1. How long should I leave the memcal in the UV eraser to reset the ic.
2. the only info I have for the ic is that it is a 27c512 uv erasable eprom. (hope thats correct) is that info sufficient for the programmer to action a good write to the ic?
3. the stock bin (BMZN) which is available still has the VATS set.
4. I cannot find a definition file yet to read the bin (using TP 4), unset it, save it, then write it to the memcal.
Can you point me in the right direction please.
Thanks in advance
VL400 replied
"Hi,........
1) around 5min, blank check it. If its not blank go another 2min or so. Most will be done in well under 10mins.
2) Yep 27c512 with 12.5v - there are high voltage version which these are not
3) yeah it will and requires a BCM and valid key
4) $5B XDF here .. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5
1. How long should I leave the memcal in the UV eraser to reset the ic.
2. the only info I have for the ic is that it is a 27c512 uv erasable eprom. (hope thats correct) is that info sufficient for the programmer to action a good write to the ic?
3. the stock bin (BMZN) which is available still has the VATS set.
4. I cannot find a definition file yet to read the bin (using TP 4), unset it, save it, then write it to the memcal.
Can you point me in the right direction please.
Thanks in advance
VL400 replied
"Hi,........
1) around 5min, blank check it. If its not blank go another 2min or so. Most will be done in well under 10mins.
2) Yep 27c512 with 12.5v - there are high voltage version which these are not
3) yeah it will and requires a BCM and valid key
4) $5B XDF here .. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5
-
hatchssv8
- Posts: 45
- Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:14 am
- cars: Holdens 66, 76, 77, 90, 05
- Location: Melbourne
Re: Running a Man tune in a 424
Must be doin something wrong in TP4. can load bin ok, cannot load/open def file as its an .ecu
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: Running a Man tune in a 424
goto xdf then import from ecu 
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Running a Man tune in a 424
XDF --> Import --> From ECU
The VATS flag is not listed but its 'Option word 4 - bit 0'
The VATS flag is not listed but its 'Option word 4 - bit 0'