6L50 (or 6L80) into VX with L67?
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
6L50 (or 6L80) into VX with L67?
There have been a few threads lately about using 6L80 transmissions in 2nd and 3rd gen Commodores with LS motors so I was wondering if the 6L50 would be a good candidate to replace the 4L60 behind our L67? From what I have read the 6L80 fits without body/trans tunnel mods so no doubt the 6L50 would be the same in that regard. Our 4L60 is screaming for mercy (especially 3rd gear) so the question is do I spend money on a full rebuilt on the 4L or upgrade to a stronger box with more gears?
Last edited by immortality on Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: 6L50 into VX with L67?
I have seen a number of people upgrade to TH400 since there are adapters for the v6 already on the market for them.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: 6L50 into VX with L67?
It's got to be a box with overdrive, it's my missus daily driver that cruises up and down motorways. I'd go T56 personally but I've been told in no uncertain terms it's not an option!
-
'quipt4it
- Posts: 675
- Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am
Re: 6L50 into VX with L67?
The 6l50 has an odd bellhousing pattern.
The controllers are around $875 (US).
Plan on a rebuild for the '50 anyway
Plus a lot of 'sorting' and tuning, tailshaft, mounts etc
http://www.zerogravityperformance.com/p ... 90e-6l50e/
FWIW, the 4l60e has more torque capacity, 360 lb-ft vs. 332 lb-ft (eng. tq).
Nice swap, but is it worth it?
The controllers are around $875 (US).
Plan on a rebuild for the '50 anyway
Plus a lot of 'sorting' and tuning, tailshaft, mounts etc
http://www.zerogravityperformance.com/p ... 90e-6l50e/
FWIW, the 4l60e has more torque capacity, 360 lb-ft vs. 332 lb-ft (eng. tq).
Nice swap, but is it worth it?
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: 6L50 into VX with L67?
Maybe go straight to the 6L80?'quipt4it wrote:The 6l50 has an odd bellhousing pattern.
The controllers are around $875 (US).
Plan on a rebuild for the '50 anyway
Plus a lot of 'sorting' and tuning, tailshaft, mounts etc
http://www.zerogravityperformance.com/p ... 90e-6l50e/
FWIW, the 4l60e has more torque capacity, 360 lb-ft vs. 332 lb-ft (eng. tq).
Nice swap, but is it worth it?
-
'quipt4it
- Posts: 675
- Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am
Re: 6L50 into VX with L67?
Better option...if you're bent on it 
-
'quipt4it
- Posts: 675
- Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am
Re: 6L50 into VX with L67?
Link to bellhousing/adapter
https://www.cnc-motorsports.com/quick-t ... -9070.html
This is steel so quite heavy, but I think otherwise it will do?
https://www.cnc-motorsports.com/quick-t ... -9070.html
This is steel so quite heavy, but I think otherwise it will do?
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: 6L50 into VX with L67?
That's the old school buick/pontiac pattern, L67 uses the GM metric 60 pattern.
-
'quipt4it
- Posts: 675
- Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am
Re: 6L50 into VX with L67?
Any alternatives?vlad01 wrote:That's the old school buick/pontiac pattern, L67 uses the GM metric 60 pattern.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: 6L50 into VX with L67?
This gives a few auto options but nothing electronic or with more than 4 speed.
https://www.facebook.com/13907284611499 ... 184845817/
https://www.facebook.com/13907284611499 ... 184845817/