Low RPM + High boost = Bent rods?

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Low RPM + High boost = Bent rods?

Post by vlad01 »

I think it's just a common misnomer that no one actually sits down and does the maths and takes it at face value.

I tried to use the 30% figure on the e85 race cars I tuned and it all came out wrong. 50.5% was spot on and even verified with the narrow band. Didn't even have to touch the VE or injector rate.
BennVenn
Posts: 536
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:35 am
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200
Location: Windellama, NSW

Re: Low RPM + High boost = Bent rods?

Post by BennVenn »

IMG20210410134003.jpg
That'll rule out e85 on this motor then.

Hat finished!

Next up is bending and welding the pipe into it, making a flange for the turbo then wait for my silicone elbows to arrive.

And my cone drill to add the o2 bung.

We'll be bending rods in no time!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'quipt4it
Posts: 675
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am

Re: Low RPM + High boost = Bent rods?

Post by 'quipt4it »

Temporary road block, or even a slight detour...
How do they say it in showbiz. Bend a rod isn't it? :lol:
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Low RPM + High boost = Bent rods?

Post by vlad01 »

I doubt you'll bend rods, probably blow gaskets or break pistons before that.
'quipt4it
Posts: 675
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am

Re: Low RPM + High boost = Bent rods?

Post by 'quipt4it »

'quipt4it wrote:....The head gasket will likely give before any hard parts (on a stock engine), that is another limiting factor for timing and boost.
That's what he said lol
BennVenn
Posts: 536
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:35 am
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200
Location: Windellama, NSW

Re: Low RPM + High boost = Bent rods?

Post by BennVenn »

I suppose I should order a couple of gaskets now then, and head bolts. I probably shouldn't have reused them - They're torque to yeild.

Blow-off or no blow-off?
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Low RPM + High boost = Bent rods?

Post by vlad01 »

BOV for sure, it will prevent compressor stall and reduce lag significantly.
'quipt4it
Posts: 675
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am

Re: Low RPM + High boost = Bent rods?

Post by 'quipt4it »

Yep, never re-use TTY studs or bolts.
They stretch and apply a constant force upon first use.
They lose this feature when re-used.
BennVenn
Posts: 536
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:35 am
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200
Location: Windellama, NSW

Re: Low RPM + High boost = Bent rods?

Post by BennVenn »

IMG20210410161906.jpg
IMG20210410161742.jpg
I think that's all the fabrication until my silicone arrives.

I'll order the head bolts and gaskets on Monday.

Still need to give some thought to boost control
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'quipt4it
Posts: 675
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am

Re: Low RPM + High boost = Bent rods?

Post by 'quipt4it »

Can't wait to see the results :thumbup: